Kenetrek Boots

Wyoming tag fee increase

Spook12 and Ben: I remember back in the '70s when the State of Missouri enacted a tiny sales tax on soft drinks--it was something like 1/8 of one percent--the proceeds to go to wildlife conservation. Missouri was the envy of most states for accomplishing that. I don't know if the tax is still in place, or if some other entity raided it, or a similar action has been taken by other states. I think such a tax would have a difficult time passing the Legislatures of most states.

Ben, I see you were reading old Wyoming Wildlife magazines. I was associate editor of that publication from October 1975 until April 1983, and had about 60 articles, photo essays, etc. in that magazine. I also encouraged management to publish six times a year instead of twelve, to cut down on production costs, but no one ever listened to me.

Ben, I see you were reading old Wyoming Wildlife magazines. I was associate editor of that publication from October 1975 until April 1983, and had about 60 articles, photo essays, etc. in that magazine. I also encouraged management to publish six times a year instead of twelve, to cut down on production costs, but no one ever listened to me.

I grew up with the magazine. WW and national geographic we're the only subscriptions we had. I've always thought it was one of the best publications when it comes to showing the world how important all of our wildlife is. Thanks for being a huge part of that!

One thing all of the state agencies need to do is develop similar draw processes, if they want to sell more Non-Resident permits or keep NEW residents from other states hunting. I have talked with many people that move to Arizona from another state and they are just confused. The procesess for obtaining permits and rules can be extremely confusing when compared.

Most hunters & anglers DO NOT hunt outside their home state. Typically, the ones that do want to hunt different species, more high quality hunts, or with their family. I don't think too many non-residents will buy a cow tag to come back and hunt with their family at $600+. Arizona charges the same price for a cow elk tag and a bull elk tag. Demand would suggest you could charge more for bull tags and less for cow tags.

It's not only the cost of the permit fees that cause people to quit, it is also the over all cost to go hunting. Loss of access, which causes many people to travel farther is a HUGE factor. Fuel & other increased prices just make it a more expensive habit.

Last edited:
I knew everyone in attendance at the Laramie Regional Office...me, myself and I.

The fee increases are going to happen and thats a fact.

I think its truely sad that these agencies can't come up with other ideas to make ends meet. This is fast becoming a rich persons sport. I worry that my kids will never be able to experience what I have. Lock me out of your wilderness areas, and then demand huge fees just because I'm a non- resident. Goodbye Wyoming.:(

I knew everyone in attendance at the Laramie Regional Office...me, myself and I.

The fee increases are going to happen and thats a fact.

Buzz, Its sad nobody showed up. I didnt get a chance to listen in, so, in a nutshell what was said?

Buzz...Since you seem very intune to how this all works maybe you can explain how the DNR actually comes up with the cost for R and NR as well.

I have tried calling my local DNR in MN and have been passed to 3 different people and no one has been able to answer my question so far, but I will keep digging. Seems no one really knows or they plain just don't want to tell me for some reason.

A run down of the way I understood it last night was that sportsmen (hunters) are going to cover the grunt of the increase in funding.The bird and wildlife watchers and everyone else that enjoy wyomings outdoors get a free ride. Good points and questions were brought up last night at the conference. Alot of stuff was going to be LOOKED INTO to help cover the cost,never good when they say that. On a good note if you do have a wyoming tag your chances of harvest a big game animal are much higher than any other state out west.

Sounds like the CPW meetings I attend in Colorado Springs :confused:

The Colorado Parks & Wildlife is probably loving all of this too. With Montana and now Wyoming prices going through the roof, it will mean more OTC tags sales for Colorado

Buzz...Since you seem very intune to how this all works maybe you can explain how the DNR actually comes up with the cost for R and NR as well.

I have tried calling my local DNR in MN and have been passed to 3 different people and no one has been able to answer my question so far, but I will keep digging. Seems no one really knows or they plain just don't want to tell me for some reason.

Wyoming hired an outside consulting firm that looked primarily at success rates and the costs in neighboring states. The Director last night seemed to think that Wyoming had higher success rates on every species and therefore could charge both Residents and Non-Residents more. Some of the stats were pretty damn suspect in my opinion and some were flat wrong. The consulting firm claimed that MT's success rate on bighorn sheep was 49%, which could be true only if you're including unlimited permits. I know for a fact that the limited quota sheep success rate is nearly 100% in Montana.

Basically they came up with the fee increases using other states as a reference...no real equation or anything.

Wyoming hired an outside consulting firm that looked primarily at success rates and the costs in neighboring states. The Director last night seemed to think that Wyoming had higher success rates on every species and therefore could charge both Residents and Non-Residents more. Some of the stats were pretty damn suspect in my opinion and some were flat wrong. The consulting firm claimed that MT's success rate on bighorn sheep was 49%, which could be true only if you're including unlimited permits. I know for a fact that the limited quota sheep success rate is nearly 100% in Montana.

Basically they came up with the fee increases using other states as a reference...no real equation or anything.

I thought they were fudging some numbers in the success rate myself.I would think Montana would have a higher success rate on mule deer myself.

I am a Wyoming resident for about two more months. Moving to Alaska! I hope to do a few hunts I have always dreamed about. Now back on topic...Just a guess, but I am willing to bet that a certain group, that I won't name, will try and come to the rescue of Wyoming. They will have a proposal to go to a Utah style system for funding problems. A guy named "Bob" who is the Wyoming state head for the group, has already said they are going to get a super raffle like Idaho. He said that even with a super raffle they are still 3 million down and are looking at other ways to raise the money. This, to me, seems a lot like the Arizona end run on tags via budget problems. I hope I am wrong but I imagine that there will be a big push for the Utah style system in the next couple of years as a fix to the budget woes!

The difference between MT and WY is that Wyoming has there units broken out for quality vs quantity (IMO) and since they put in effect the NR preference point system I doubt they will see a huge decline. If they do I'll take advantage of it as I've had nothing but success on almsot every WY trip I've made and I doubt the sucess rate is that high for Non resident MT Elk vs WY Nonresident Elk.

All the Bills on increases went down in the Wyoming Legislature a long time ago. There will be more Bills before the 2014 Legislature and if passed would not take effect until the 2015 season.

Back