Caribou Gear

A WY Pronghorn Tale

The sun is starting to get higher in the sky. It is about 11am. Now the cows are starting to arrive. They hang out drinking farting and doing cow stuff. I start to think that maybe the antelope won't come in with the cows there. I spook them at first by telling them to "git!" But this is thier spot and they come right back.

I sit for an hour or so with nothing coming in and I getting warner in the blind. I start to feel like this isn't going to happen now. All does and fawns this morning and now the cows are going to scare everything else off.

And then suddenly a buck! A good buck! I had been ranging spots around the water all morning and he walked in at a 50 yard spot. I'll admit I should have been more alert and could have seen him approach if I had been peaking out my side windows occasionally like I should have. He startled me and caught me off guard. I knew he was at 50 already so I wasted no time ranging him. I draw back quickly and let one as soon as he is mostly broadside. I hear the clang of the arrow hitting the ground and the buck takes off running. I get my binos quickly on him and watch him for signs of being hit. No blood and he looks healthy before he stops out of range and stares back curiously at the water hole wondering what the heck that was. Dang it! I finally get my chance to draw back on a buck and I blow it! I wait a while to make sure he I gone and doesn't want to risk a second drink before I retrieve my arrow. Nice and clean. I shot right over his back. I re-range and the buck was clearly at 45 yards and I kick myself for not ranging him first. Also, upon inspection of my blind window it look like I clipped the window edge a little too with my arrow.
Screenshot_20240820_101121_Gallery.jpg

I stew in my self misery for a while before doing an after action in my head on what I did wrong. I deserved to miss that buck. I needed to focus on the following to be successful on my next opportunity.
  • Be more alert aand watch your surroundings. Anything can come in any anytime. The cows didn't bother that buck. If anything they gave a false sense of security that there is nothing dangerous at the water hole.
  • Slow down and wait for the best shot. You always have more time than you think.
  • Range every time.
Ok so I have regrouped in my head and am now mentally ready for another buck to come in.
Well as luck would have it another group makes their way in. A doe 2 fawns and a small buck. I've definitely seen bigger bucks than this little guy. I weigh my options and decide to pass. IMG_3025.jpg

A while later as I peaking out my back window I see a big buck scoping out the water hole from the hill behind me. Again and again I check on him and he just stays on top of the hill scoping out the situation- very wary but likely thirsty.
I think a whole hour passed before he slowly circled around to come in closer. He holds up and doesn't commit and runs off. Hard to say but I think it may have been the buck I missed earlier back to try again. Also, at this point the wind hand started to really kick up. I was having to hold the blind down since it was starting to bounce around on the stronger gusts. So he was probably getting spooked by the blind movement.

Ok so a few bucks have come in or close now. This might not be the nursery. I think the bucks just waited to water until it got hot in the afternoon in this spot.

A while passes and at around 4pm I spot a buck and 2 does out my right window. Cows are blocking my view for a little bit so I could try get a good look at the buck at first. As the meandered towards the water I got a good look at him. Great buck. The first thing that stood to me was the mass that he had. I think to myself- if this buck gives me a chance I will shoot him. They circle around behind me and around my left side. Looks like they are going to commit. The 2 does come in first and then the buck follows. I remind myself of the mistakes I made earlier and tell myself not to take the shot unless everything is right. As he walks in I range him a few times and get 50, 49, 51,52. Ok 50 yard pin. He bends down to take a sip and I draw back. He whips his head up and then then relaxes again and trots a few steps. Then he turns broadside, I settle my pin and release. I hear the tell tale thump of the arrow hitting him and he bolts. I get my binos up on him and I can see blood running down his front leg. He gets woozy and lays down. It felt like forever but I am sure it was only a few minutes but he eventually lays his head down for good and disappears below the grass.

Congratulations @CouesKelly!

I wonder if your messages to/from your husband were in jest, or did he really think he wasn't yours? It can be quite fun ribbing hunting partners too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back