Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wyoming wallet alert

Your simple solutions are a joke.

Why?

Game management (both by public and private means) costs money. You absolutely lost your mind at the thought of having to pay $15 more dollars.

Where do you think it’s going to come from?

Link to the uproar about tag increases? Not seen that. Itd be more interesting than hearing the same tired old story.

^ but isn't the primary rub with that bill that it is raising fees to fund a fund that's already fully funded?

really rolls off the tongue there.

To me, it appeared that the primary insult to some of the people posting was that the money was going towards something they didn’t personally benefit from.

That really rubs some people the wrong way.

I think you should start paying attention. The Jackson herd is not going to get bigger, in fact they have been trying for decades to reduce that herd.

Feed grounds have been all over the news, and in particular to eliminate them for a variety of reasons.

Again, it's never not funny to listen to the WI contingency talk out of their ass about a state they know nothing about.

Your simple solutions are a joke.
Hang on, you are overreading the simple comment I made and jumping to conclusions.

All my statement points out is that 100 years ago, there were likely well more than 100k elk and therefore its not about the habitat that limits their numbers but instead social acceptance and land use.

So to say there are "too many elk on the mountain" like you did I feel is really about perspective.

To me, it appeared that the primary insult to some of the people posting was that the money was going towards something they didn’t personally benefit from.

That really rubs some people the wrong way.

I think you could interpret it that way if it's not explicitly stated that way 🤷‍♂️

What I mostly gathered, and I could be wrong, that raising fee's to fund a program that's not lacking in funds is a bad reason to raise fee's and one should rightfully oppose such a bill. I think we'd all agree that government agencies increasing fee's or taxes with the intent to fund something that's fully funded is bad governance.

I have a feeling even buzz might get behind such app fee increases if it went to access yes.

No it wouldnt- it would do the exact opposite of what you’re saying.

Like other states, Wyoming landowners receiving these tags would need to open up their own land to hunting.
This idea sounds very familiar to the NM system... and as far as I'm concerned (Many others agree) has led to the large scale privatization of NM elk. Bad idea all around and not well thought out. Also against the North American model entirely.

Last edited:
Hang on, you are overreading the simple comment I made and jumping to conclusions.

All my statement points out is that 100 years ago, there were likely well more than 100k elk and therefore its not about the habitat that limits their numbers but instead social acceptance and land use.

So to say there are "too many elk on the mountain" like you did I feel is really about perspective.
I think you’re just talking two different numbers. Your talking fantasy land theoretical carrying capacity. @BuzzH is talking real world socially acceptable elk numbers. Your probably both right

I think you’re just talking two different numbers. Your talking fantasy land theoretical carrying capacity. @BuzzH is talking real world socially acceptable elk numbers. Your probably both right
You are right and that is what I was just pointing out. Improving how elk are viewed socially (which is basically how landowners for the most part view them) can increase overall elk numbers since the land isn't at the carrying capacity. I'm not specifically stating that landowner vouchers are the way to do that, its way more complicated than that but I'd be open and willing to listen and research any method that pushes for higher social acceptance of elk on the landscape.

This idea sounds very familiar to the NM system...

I would say combining the best parts of New Mexico and Colorado systems is probably the route Wyoming will eventually go. The directors recent statements gives an indication this might happen sooner than later, which is a good sign.

They are both very successful systems in their own right currently, I would give a slight edge to NM.

Last edited:
I would say combining the best parts of New Mexico and Colorado systems is probably the route Wyoming will eventually go. The directors recent statements gives an indication this might happen sooner than later, which is a great sign for pretty much everyone involved.

They are both very successful systems in their own right currently, I would give a slight edge to NM.
I disagree entirely, this prices many DYI hunters out of opportunities for public wildlife and like I mentioned completely against the North American Model. The NM system is garbage and screws over NM Residents every year. Take a peek (https://www.takebackyourelk.com/). There are much better ways to get this done than giving tags to landowners, bad idea.

Treecarp, so let me get this straight. I have max points, 18 of those or whatever so I finally draw the tag I’m after and some rich prick buys the transferable tag and hunts the same chit I am because it’s unit wide. Explain to me how that benefitted anyone but the rich prick and the landowner that profited. I look forward to your response.

Edit: I still much prefer this thread to any of the various political crap threads despite my strong dislike of the carps idea.
Could he the first person to have his name changed without consent?
Here you go, @Forkyfinder. Beware, some of what you are about to read may be disturbing:

Oh the Humanity!
Im missing the bankruptcy filings i guess. I dont really see a lot of whining - other than for texas style hunting and tags.

I'm not specifically stating that landowner vouchers are the way to do that, its way more complicated than that but I'd be open and willing to listen and research any method that pushes for higher social acceptance of elk on the landscape.

i think we need to take a moment to recognize this - there is always more than one way to skin the cat.

we also need to recognize that vouchers and landowner power are a slippery slope that don't go back in the bag and while they may effect proper change for a while, i feel convinced they can and easily will turn on the public for the worse faster than we realize.

privatized systems and tags are not the only way to incentivize landowners to tolerate elk and provide access. large landowners have a long history of not being the best friends of every day folks and i will forever not be sold on going full tilt for vouchers because of that.

Agreed. Easy solution in my eyes, increase tag count in areas with over objective elk populations and give landowners a bonus for every elk killed on their property.

privatized systems and tags are not the only way to incentivize landowners to tolerate elk and provide access.

To be clear- I didn’t say they were the only way. I am pointing out they are probably the best way in this instance.

To be clear- I didn’t say they were the only way. I am pointing out they are probably the best way in this instance.

but let's be clear again - it is your opinion that they "probably" are the best way.

and other intelligent people also hold the opinion that they "probably" are not the best way.

let's just be sure to recognize that we're dealing with opinions here. not undeniable facts.

Back