Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wyoming $75 NR application fee proposal and more...

Financial fraudulence - the intentional misrepresentation of information to deceive others…in order to obtain money or other things of value.

If the shoe fits, example: selling moose points that do not increase the likelihood of drawing a moose tag
Humm, tell that to the max PPs holder that drew moose tags this year. While not many, they got tags based on their PPs didn't they?

WY’s own presentations and findings show those unable to statistically draw, yet they are sold points. It can’t just be a conversation about the top point holders. I care about doing the right thing and having an honest system.

Edit: the proposed legislation is a fair attempt to address the issue. My push back is against those wanting to counter those efforts to keep preference points.

WY’s own presentations and findings show those unable to statistically draw, yet they are sold points.
I would say those folks decided to buy point's. WY didn't force anyone to buy those point's. Customer's made a decision to purchase them. Wasted money? Who knows probably not in the long run. I dropped WY big three point's about 20 years ago personally.

WY’s own presentations and findings show those unable to statistically draw, yet they are sold points. It can’t just be a conversation about the top point holders. I care about doing the right thing and having an honest system.

Edit: the proposed legislation is a fair attempt to address the issue. My push back is against those wanting to counter those efforts to keep preference points.
Statistically for who? NR with way less than max points drew moose permits and that will continue to happen. Yes, it can be a discussion about the top holders, they are the exact people that it needs to be about.

The solution to the problem is not to do away with the current system, the solution is to make the splits 50-50 between random and preference AND base the splits on statewide quotas. Everyone has a shot to draw in the random side of the draw, and you honor the 29 year old system. I don't give a chit what way you try to spin it, the only thing more unfair than any point system is changing it 29 years into it.

Also, a resident starting to apply this year at 12 years old, assuming same tag numbers, will draw both moose and sheep by the time they're 63 years old worst case with the preference system.

How is that not an "honest" system or "doing the right thing"?

You care about one person, and one person only, in regard to this issue...undeniable fact.

Finally, you better start preparing yourself for Wyoming to keep 100% of the moose and sheep tags for Resident hunters, my guess is that will happen at some point.

Carry on with your nonsense.

Last edited:
I plan on at least at some point in my life living in WY at least long enough to claim residency and cash in on our pile of sheep/moose points. Right now, we are already on the verge of being able to draw male tags for both species if we were residents. So I don't feel like Wyoming is selling me garbage, I very much so intend on being able to eventually cash them in on 4 hunts that I hope to be some of the best experiences of my life.

Financial fraudulence - the intentional misrepresentation of information to deceive others…in order to obtain money or other things of value.

If the shoe fits, example: selling moose points that do not increase the likelihood of drawing a moose tag
There was never a promise of a tag.

What you paid for, you received...a preference point.

No misrepresentation of anything. I buy a chitload of them every year, and my odds are worse now with a pile of squared points in NV and MT than 10-15 years ago. Should I be outraged over that?

Same with CO and their weighted points, my odds have declined significantly over time.

You need to jump into reality, not everyone that applies for moose, sheep, goat, bison, or any high odds tags are going to draw. If you want to yell at clouds, blame the internet, credit cards, and all the other "easy" buttons as to why odds suck major ass. Whining about a point system is a waste of your time.

Get over it.

This bill is just incentivizing landowners to encourage wildlife damage on their property. Is this not a win-win for them by way of trespass fees and now also being reimbursed for damage? I wish I could buy a large parcel, plant a crop and cry wolf for property damage at my own doing so I could be easily compensated. Genius!

Statistically for who? NR with way less than max points drew moose permits and that will continue to happen. Yes, it can be a discussion about the top holders, they are the exact people that it needs to be about.

The solution to the problem is not to do away with the current system, the solution is to make the splits 50-50 between random and preference AND base the splits on statewide quotas. Everyone has a shot to draw in the random side of the draw, and you honor the 29 year old system. I don't give a chit what way you try to spin it, the only thing more unfair than any point system is changing it 29 years into it.

Also, a resident starting to apply this year at 12 years old, assuming same tag numbers, will draw both moose and sheep by the time they're 63 years old worst case with the preference system.

How is that not an "honest" system or "doing the right thing"?

You care about one person, and one person only, in regard to this issue...undeniable fact.

Finally, you better start preparing yourself for Wyoming to keep 100% of the moose and sheep tags for Resident hunters, my guess is that will happen at some point.

Appreciate you going to that meeting and interjecting some common sense. Not many of those folks understand the system and if left to their own devices, maximum money will always win.

Squared bonus points sounds like a great idea in theory but in practice it is awful as all the high point holders in Nevada will attest.

Can't come soon enough with the amount of bellyaching we hear from non-residents about how unfair our tag allocations are. Take one out of north dakota's book and change it too 100-0.

As much as I love hunting elk around the west, Saskatchewan doesn't let non-residents hunt elk, pronghorns or mule deer, which I am 100% Okay with...

I'll enjoy elk hunting Wyoming, Montana, etc, as long as they let me, when/if they don't, I won't complain one bit.

As much as I love hunting elk around the west, Saskatchewan doesn't let non-residents hunt elk, pronghorns or mule deer, which I am 100% Okay with...
Isn't that for ALL OF CANADA and for ANY BIG GAME unless they purchase their license directly through an outfitter which may or may not be actually guiding them? This includes Canadian citizens from a difference providence as well right?

Could you imagine the whining if WY did that?

Reactions: OMB
Isn't that for ALL OF CANADA and for ANY BIG GAME unless they purchase their license directly through an outfitter which may or may not be actually guiding them? This includes Canadian citizens from a difference providence as well right?

It's the outfitter part that sucks.

Most western Provinces and Territories are like that. Out east is a bit different but the hunting sucks, yes.

My biggest issue with our system in Saskatchewan is the outfitter welfare. They get all the moose and deer tags for non-residents/Canadian non-residents.

Sounds like we need to start keeping the Canucks out.

The true NR NR... and the bain of all missed hunting opportunities.

Jk

Most western Provinces and Territories are like that. Out east is a bit different but the hunting sucks, yes.

My biggest issue with our system in Saskatchewan is the outfitter welfare. They get all the moose and deer tags for non-residents/Canadian non-residents.
The outfitter welfare is even worse in Newfoundland and I'm not sure if it's the same elsewhere around Canada but in Newfoundland the outfitters not only get the licenses to sell/use as they wish but they also get exclusive use of the land where their license is good for! The residents get over the counter tags but they aren't allowed to hunt any of the land locked up in the outfitter use areas.

Back