Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wyoming wallet alert

Heck yeah! Let’s make access to hunting and wildlife a private resource! Only those with lots of funds or land should be hunting anyways

Wyoming seems like it already has gone pretty far that way unless you live there. Heck, non-residents cant even hunt wilderness without paying or hunting with one of their “friend$.” So I think the “privatization” war cry is a little disingenuous, personally.

Paradoxically, my proposal would actually make DIY hunting much more accessible to many. The more tags given to landowners to sell, they cheaper the market would price them.

Wyoming seems like it already has gone pretty far that way unless you live there. Heck, non-residents cant even hunt wilderness without paying or hunting with one of their “friend$.” So I think the “privatization” war cry is a little disingenuous, personally.

Paradoxically, my proposal would actually make DIY hunting much more accessible to many. The more tags given to landowners to sell, they cheaper the market would price them.
It would just make landowners the wildlife managers instead of the state. They wouldn’t really have any reason to reduce elk problems, in fact my guess is it would backfire and they wouldn’t sell all the tags they were given and they would attempt to harbor more elk and more big bulls because now they have an even greater financial incentive to keep them around

I struggle to see how all Wyoming citizens and the DIY guy win.

Tax revenue. The majority of Wyoming residents are non-hunters. This is a net benefit to them.

DIY guy wins because of increased opportunity. Remember, these would be unit-wide, and in addition to current quota. If one can’t afford, the existing draw is still a good(ish) option.

It would just make landowners the wildlife managers instead of the state. They wouldn’t really have any reason to reduce elk problems, in fact my guess is it would backfire and they wouldn’t sell all the tags they were given and they would attempt to harbor more elk and more big bulls because now they have an even greater financial incentive to keep them around

They already are.

I think most of the elk “problems” would magically go away pretty much immediately.

Why? Because I’m making a good point and you’re not able to refute it?

If I have been disrespectful to anyone, please PM me and it will be edited immediately?
You haven’t been but it will head there very quickly. Everyone knows where you stand on this stuff. Personally I think the entire thing is bullshit and pretty self serving which from what I’ve seen from most people on this forum is the opposite of how they feel.

Ah- got it. I’m glad you asked that🙂:

Two-part answer:

1. These would be in addition to current quota.

2. Landowners can sell them for way more (for example: what do you think a transferable bull tag in unit 7/38/45 would go for?).

This is why it is a win for all involved.

-All Wyoming citizens win.
-Landowner wins.
-Resource wins.
-Hunters across America win, including DIY guys (because these would be unit-wide).

Issue tags over quota..that ice cream cone ain't gonna lick itself very long...

What about the elk? You don't seem to worried about what they need....

@Big Fin should just lock this one down now
I don't think so.

Treeshark just believes transferable tags will raise the money G&F wants. A quick glance at New Mexico will see the flaws. It won't fly with Wyo residents so we should move the discussion on.

How are they going to get an additional $10 million per year?

What about the elk? You don't seem to worried about what they need....

Actually, after the citizens of Wyoming, I think the resource is the biggest benefactor of what I am discussing.

It’s the main reason why I keep bringing it up- we need to find ways to put more animals on the mountain.

Last edited:
Tax revenue. The majority of Wyoming residents are non-hunters. This is a net benefit to them.

DIY guy wins because of increased opportunity. Remember, these would be unit-wide, and in addition to current quota. If one can’t afford, the existing draw is still a good(ish) option.
Wyoming isnt wusconsin - they arent turning over every stone to find a new taxed dime

Actually, after the citizens of Wyoming, I think the resource is the biggest benefactor of what I am discussing.

It’s the main reason why I keep bringing it up- we need to find ways to put more animals on the mountain.
Then let’s figure a way to make public lands look better to wildlife. Putting them on private isn’t going to help the vast majority of hunters.

Then let’s figure a way to make public lands look better to wildlife. Putting them on private isn’t going to help the vast majority of hunters.
Technically he is wanting to remove them from private. If you can afford it.

Yep NM landowner tags are getting cheaper every year...While we are at it just make them unit wide landowner tags that way all the billionaires landowners can sell tags to their buddies or the highest bidder..perfect for the DIY hunting.

This is why it is a win for all involved.

-All Wyoming citizens win.
-Landowner wins.
-Resource wins.
-Hunters across America win, including DIY guys (because these would be unit-wide).
Sometimes you seem like a reasonable person, but on this subject I feel you have completely lost it. I presume you think it benefits you specifically.

1) $10m is a lot of money. Quick check shows it is about 10% of the current budget. At $500 that is 20,000 additional tags. That's a LOT.
2) You are most certainly going to price out youth and many hunters.
3) it disproportionally benefits certain landowners over others.
4) I'm not sure what problem it solves but it is a horrible way to solve a budget shortfall.

The most economically viable way to still offer opportunity to non-residents and keep the constituents happy would just be supply and demand. Non resident tags hardly go otc. Figure out what that price point is where demand just meets supply because of cost. I would imagine you could greatly increase the NR tag cost and that would probably not impact the sale of NR tags. Oh, and if you hate that and value hunting more than anything, uproot your life and move to Wyoming.

Tax revenue? How much would we actually talk about? Would it really be worth it? I'd be curious to see how much tax VS landowner revenues we'd be talking about, for what is essentially a landowner handout. How many tags would need to be handed out for this to be worth it in terms of tax revenues? I'm pretty sure the answer is "a lot" and the elk would ultimately pay that price.

The DIY guy gets no increased opportunities because there are 1000 more DIY suckers behind him for the same tag, meanwhile the wealthy hunters just jump in and grab the same landowner tags on a yearly basis.

I hope the wildlife and citizens of Wyoming get the best bang for their buck, not landowners and wealthy hunters.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olivefwp
Back