2024 Garden!

Ouch! Fire weather the other day said small chance for small hail. That morning I didn't take a chance so covered by cucumbers, cantaloupe and watermelon. No hail some nice rain though.

Impressive. What manufacture is your greenhouse?
Greenhouse by Bearfoot. I constructed curved Gothic arch's in the shop 10'w x 12'h
Due to old phone now in lake bottom, lost a lot of photos.

curved truss.jpg Greenhouse is 18' x 40', I excavated six feet deep, placed two zones of 4" perforated drain tube. Back filled a couple feet and placed more drain tube. Outside walls of foundation have 4" foam insulation. Drain tube run into 55 gallon drum manifolds. The system is called a climate battery. When hot, fans blow heat into the ground, under the greenhouse. Cool air is returned on the opposite side.
Back half is shed construction insulated. 55 gallon white drums can be seen on left & right. Fans blow from the back & exit on the triple wall polycarbonate.

Greenhouse.jpg

Greenhouse by Bearfoot. I constructed curved Gothic arch's in the shop 10'w x 12'h

View attachment 337953 Greenhouse is 18' x 40', I excavated six feet deep, placed two zones of 4" perforated drain tube. Back filled a couple feet and placed more drain tube. Outside walls of foundation have 4" foam insulation. Drain tube run into 55 gallon drum manifolds. The system is called a climate battery. When hot, fans blow heat into the ground, under the greenhouse. Cool air is returned on the opposite side.
Back half is shed construction insulated. 55 gallon white drums can be seen on left & right. Fans blow from the back & exit on the triple wall polycarbonate.

View attachment 337955
That is a thing of beauty!

View attachment 337953 Greenhouse is 18' x 40', I excavated six feet deep, placed two zones of 4" perforated drain tube. Back filled a couple feet and placed more drain tube. Outside walls of foundation have 4" foam insulation. Drain tube run into 55 gallon drum manifolds. The system is called a climate battery. When hot, fans blow heat into the ground, under the greenhouse. Cool air is returned on the opposite side.

View attachment 337955
Wow!! Very impressive. The craftsmanship of the arches had caught my eye. Did you use steam to get the curves in the arches?

Went out to pick cherry tomatoes and decided to hide out in the house today. Way too hot to do anything. Been waiting for a part for my fridge to get here so I can see if it will work again or if I have to buy a new one. Stuffed everything in the ancient spare in the basement and have a little dorm fridge up here for drinks. Guess who just sold a perfectly fine fridge I could have used if needed? 🤷‍♂️

Went out to pick cherry tomatoes and decided to hide out in the house today. Way too hot to do anything. Been waiting for a part for my fridge to get here so I can see if it will work again or if I have to buy a new one. Stuffed everything in the ancient spare in the basement and have a little dorm fridge up here for drinks. Guess who just sold a perfectly fine fridge I could have used if needed? 🤷‍♂️
That stinks. My BIL asked to have my kids dorm fridge and I gave it to him since both kids are in apartments. He keeps it by the pool for beer. Daughter asked for me to bring it up to her apartment a couple weeks ago. Ugh.

And its a pressure cooker today. 96 at 5pm.

Yep. The evaporater fan motor quit. Hopefully the new one will work and not be a bigger electrical problem. For what it costs to have a guy fix it I will just buy a new one. Fingers crossed. Part comes tomorrow.

I really intended to stay up to date in this thread.
I also really intended to watch my cucumbers closely. Whoops
Been a tougher year on the tomatoes for some reason, but we had a good first year of blueberries, and I’m growing the best pumpkins I’ve ever grown (the bar was quite low)
IMG_4722.jpeg

No steam. I wanted a bigger greenhouse. Internet surfing, I got ideas. It looked cool. so I wanted to do it, my style. First time try.
After a bunch of math and drawing on grid paper, I built a jig on the shop floor. All wood glued & screwed, bent with clamps around the jig. A lot of up and down, from the floor, with knee pads. Lot of up and down on ladders, constructing. A great workout last past summer! A solo build.

Alaska GreenHouse.jpg
Got gas heat and power, plus a shed roof on the north side.
Alaska GreenHouse 2.jpg

No steam. I wanted a bigger greenhouse. Internet surfing, I got ideas. It looked cool. so I wanted to do it, my style. First time try.
After a bunch of math and drawing on grid paper, I built a jig on the shop floor. All wood glued & screwed, bent with clamps around the jig. A lot of up and down, from the floor, with knee pads. Lot of up and down on ladders, constructing. A great workout last past summer! A solo build.

View attachment 338094
Got gas heat and power, plus a shed roof on the north side.
View attachment 338095
Very nice, what kind of panels for the greenhouse covering? Can't tell if its single layer or the closed cell insulated type.

Unfit for humans outside! I feel sorry for anyone who has to do ANYTHING without air conditioning. Learned a new term that describes what we feel here in the midwest. Corn sweat. I always knew it was more humid here and this explains it. One acre of corn can release 3 to 4 THOUSAND gallons of water into the air per day! Unreal.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
explorer's_workbench
Back