Kenetrek Boots

Dave N Elk tag fund raiser

First thing when u wake up.
12oz water with 1/4 lemon squeezed and a good dash of pink sea salt.

Followed by light streaching/yoga to start the day.

Wait at least half hr/hour before first cup of coffee.
That sounds horrible. I'm a glass of Sunny D guy.

I stretch, I crack and pop.

I can wait forever on coffee. Haven't had any in years.

Last edited:
Supposed to be pretty calm tomorrow so I plan on doing a little shooting. I've been second guessing myself about my .300 scope setup. It's been a while but if I remember right when I did some checking in Idaho for that hunt I was somewhat scattered shooting off a truck hood at a paper plate at roughly 200 yards. Yes, I used a Lead Sled setting up my scope initially. I've read the stories here about them wrecking scopes. I'll see what it does at 100 tomorrow and decide yes or no. In the meantime I drug out my .270 and had a look at it. It was a Savage 110 package deal back in the late 80s/early 90s with a Burris Fullfield scope on it. I took it outside about 20 minutes after sundown and looked around with it. It actually looked pretty good and I could see the crosshairs against just about anything I looked at out to 500 yards or so. I have a box of 130s and a box of 150s so I'm going to put a few rounds through it as well as my .300 and see what I like better. A .270 kills lots of elk and I would have more than one shot! If both scopes end up not living up to my hopes I'll be looking for one to mount. Plus decide which rifle to put it on. Need to shoot them first. I may be good to begin with! Warm weather. My poor shoulder. . . :rolleyes:

Punished my shoulder a little today. 100 yards shooting off the saddle bags of my 4wheeler. Not perfectly steady but it was a good test to see how I was doing. Next round will be more of a bench setup and I'll have to scrounge up a couple sand bags for rests.

The .270 did pretty good! Had one shot that I pulled to the right but in line with the majority. 2 of the 130s were an inch apart and one of the 150s was right alongside them. Overall average put me about 2 inches high at 100 yards. A bench would really help tighten them up.

The .300 was off. I shot 2 less than an inch apart but 5 inches high. I also pulled one that I knew would be bad. It was a foot lower and 7 inches right of the other 2. Not proud of that one. I made an adjustment to the scope and will see where it ends up when I try again at 200 yards and a bench setup.

For now I think the cheap package scope on the .270 will be OK. It's probably around 35 years old so maybe the quality wasn't too bad back then. I'll shoot it more and see what I think.

Progress!

Your weight can fluctuate so much on the daily. You should consider just weighing in once a week like on Monday morning that would help you alot more to track your movements with that. Also just the fact your working on it will serve you well instead of riding the couch into hunting season.

Punished my shoulder a little today. 100 yards shooting off the saddle bags of my 4wheeler. Not perfectly steady but it was a good test to see how I was doing. Next round will be more of a bench setup and I'll have to scrounge up a couple sand bags for rests.

The .270 did pretty good! Had one shot that I pulled to the right but in line with the majority. 2 of the 130s were an inch apart and one of the 150s was right alongside them. Overall average put me about 2 inches high at 100 yards. A bench would really help tighten them up.

The .300 was off. I shot 2 less than an inch apart but 5 inches high. I also pulled one that I knew would be bad. It was a foot lower and 7 inches right of the other 2. Not proud of that one. I made an adjustment to the scope and will see where it ends up when I try again at 200 yards and a bench setup.

For now I think the cheap package scope on the .270 will be OK. It's probably around 35 years old so maybe the quality wasn't too bad back then. I'll shoot it more and see what I think.

Progress!
I have several tac drivers with Leupold glass if you want to borrow one. A really nice 280ai Rem mountain rifle is available.

I think a nice stainless walnut wood combo from @p_ham in 280ai would be the ticket. If I could only have one, that is probably it.

I have several rifles in the safe and I absolutely love my son’s 280ai mountain rifle I built him. It it good to look at, feels great in my hands, and will put a 160 grain accubond into a 1”group at 200.

View attachment 284902

I have several tac drivers with Leupold glass if you want to borrow one. A really nice 280ai Rem mountain rifle is available.
We'll see. I have to do some more shooting and see what I have. It's been a while and I have to get back into the swing of things. A more stable shooting platform will be a good next step.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bcsanchez428
Back