Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What's on the smoker today?

i'm ashamed to admit i've never done beef back ribs before. but, i'm very proud that my first cook of them came out perfectly, by my standards at least.

did them nearly identically to how I would do pork ribs.

i always save all the juices from my wrap to glaze with once cut.

my wife liked these more than pork ribs, i just may have liked them more too.

View attachment 341211View attachment 341210View attachment 341209
What was your process? I tried 3-2-1 with beef back ribs and ended up with bone-in jerky.

What was your process? I tried 3-2-1 with beef back ribs and ended up with bone-in jerky.

the exact process was:
  1. moderate seasoning on both sides with Butt Rub
  2. left seasoned in fridge for about 4 hours (i usually try to do this overnight)
  3. three hours at 225
  4. pulled and wrapped with ghee butter and barbeque sauce
  5. about 1.5 hours wrapped, gave it a kick to 250 for about 30 minutes in that 1.5
  6. about 30 minutes unwrapped in the 200-225 range with a basting of additional barbeque sauce.
they went on about 12:30 and we were eating them at like 6:15

i'm in the camp that thinks 3-2-1 has a tendency to overcook pork ribs. i usually go like 3-1-1 or 3-1.5-0.5.

i like some resistance in my ribs, of all type.

the exact process was:
  1. moderate seasoning on both sides with Butt Rub
  2. left seasoned in fridge for about 4 hours (i usually try to do this overnight)
  3. three hours at 225
  4. pulled and wrapped with ghee butter and barbeque sauce
  5. about 1.5 hours wrapped, gave it a kick to 250 for about 30 minutes in that 1.5
  6. about 30 minutes unwrapped in the 200-225 range with a basting of additional barbeque sauce.
they went on about 12:30 and we were eating them at like 6:15

i'm in the camp that thinks 3-2-1 has a tendency to overcook pork ribs. i usually go like 3-1-1 or 3-1.5-0.5.

i like some resistance in my ribs, of all type.
Great, thanks for the pointers. Agreed on 3-2-1, as well-- I've modified mine to 2-2-1 when using peach paper as the wrap.

i'm ashamed to admit i've never done beef back ribs before. but, i'm very proud that my first cook of them came out perfectly, by my standards at least.

did them nearly identically to how I would do pork ribs.

i always save all the juices from my wrap to glaze with once cut.

my wife liked these more than pork ribs, i just may have liked them more too.

View attachment 341211View attachment 341210View attachment 341209
Wish I could source beef ribs like that locally. Everything I find here the meat is cut down to 1/4 inch above the bone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJschilling
Back