Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What's on the smoker today?

"poor man's brisket" I do this a lot for $10 and gives me a couple servings over an expensive brisket that I have to cut up and freeze sections. Something about frozen meat sucks when you smoke it. You have to let chuck roast sit in the fridge for a couple days with coarse salt and pepper on it in the fridge. I've done it up to a week, flipping every day and redoing the salt and pepper. Turns out great.
I'm going to try the same process with a tri tip. If I can ever find a tri tip at my grocery store.

dusting your wings with baking powder or mixing some baking powder into your dry rub will really help with crispiness if you're not pulling out the deep fat fryer.

i smoke mine then air fry them for crispiness if i'm doing smoked wings. i've learned to not smoke them too long or they will get some rubbery texture going, even after an air fry.

but, that baking powder for even just a basic air fry or regular oven bake will do wonders.
I've had the same results with corn starch.

She wouldn’t like this s$&@ any better than I will.

Wife trying for us to eat healthy this week, our daughter has a big swim meet this weekend. Taking one for the team.
I've actually had turkey burgers turn out not bad. Worcestershire and diced pepper and onion mixed in the burger helped. Not my favorite but better than I thought.

One of our favorites is chuck roast smoked like a brisket. 1/3 the price and 1/4 the time. And when done right, tastes almost as good !!!

Turkey burgers.

I don’t have a very good feeling about this one, boys…

View attachment 333227
I've been known to grind up a few turkey breasts each spring and add in some bacon for some fat to make turkey burgers.
Biggest thing with turkey burgers is to not dry them out, and don't treat them like a beef burger. Change up your add ins to compliment the flavor. Red onion, tomato, a little cilantro, and might sound odd, but your favorite jam on top. A good spicy pepper jam. Maybe some hot honey. They're fantastic.

I've been known to grind up a few turkey breasts each spring and add in some bacon for some fat to make turkey burgers.
Biggest thing with turkey burgers is to not dry them out, and don't treat them like a beef burger. Change up your add ins to compliment the flavor. Red onion, tomato, a little cilantro, and might sound odd, but your favorite jam on top. A good spicy pepper jam. Maybe some hot honey. They're fantastic.
Same here. Turkey also does well as a smash burger. Juiciness seems to not be an issue when dealing with thin patties and cheese and toppings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back