Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Utah Paunsagunt Archery Deer

Zim

Although this will be my 10th mule deer hunt, I still don’t feel experienced. I know tree stand hunting is not popular out there, but it’s my preferred method due to physical issues. But I also plan to mix in some stalks on my upcoming Paunsagunt deer hunt. I’m wondering if when stand hunting if it’s generally better to sit water tanks, or focus on major trails between bedding & burns. On several Kaibab hunts I never saw a mature buck when I sat water. Much better observations hunting the trails. But my sample size was not huge. Just wanting to get some opinions. Thanks.

Although this will be my 10th mule deer hunt, I still don’t feel experienced. I know tree stand hunting is not popular out there, but it’s my preferred method due to physical issues. But I also plan to mix in some stalks on my upcoming Paunsagunt deer hunt. I’m wondering if when stand hunting if it’s generally better to sit water tanks, or focus on major trails between bedding & burns. On several Kaibab hunts I never saw a mature buck when I sat water. Much better observations hunting the trails. But my sample size was not huge. Just wanting to get some opinions. Thanks.
You've had 25 years or so to figure it out and that's my advice, figure it out before you draw the tag.

I guess sitting on trails and water is better than not hunting at all and even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while.

That wouldn't be my main strategy with that tag.

If you want some further advice, hire a guide.

BuzzH, Forest ranger at the Kaibab agreed with my use of tree stands. Was very dry & tough stalking. The only two big ones he saw that year were taken from stands. Although few use them. I shot one on my first hunt there from stand. Guided another Indiana friend to a 170” from a stand the following year. I will try stalking but both my Achilles are torn.

You've had 25 years or so to figure it out and that's my advice, figure it out before you draw the tag.

I guess sitting on trails and water is better than not hunting at all and even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while.

That wouldn't be my main strategy with that tag.

If you want some further advice, hire a guide.
I have a local going to meet me there and show me some spots. He just called me today. He is seeing many studs already. Great antler growth. But he does not stand hunt.

Originally was just going there to scout only this year & draw next, but a heart failure diagnosis advanced things.

Last edited:
I have a local going to meet me there and show me some spots. He just called me today. He is seeing many studs already. Great antler growth. But he does not stand hunt.

Originally was just going there to scout only this year & draw next, but a heart failure diagnosis advanced things.
Good luck, hope you find one you want.

I'll probably draw the rifle tag here soon. Depending on time, other hunts, etc. may consider a guide. Just a long time to wait to not stack things in your favor.

Good luck, hope you find one you want.

I'll probably draw the rifle tag here soon. Depending on time, other hunts, etc. may consider a guide. Just a long time to wait to not stack things in your favor.

I know 28 years is a long time to wait, but my priorities are different these days. Like staying alive and estate planning for the wife, 😆.

Got a few last minute supplies in the mail last few days. One being a mini-Starlink. Last item is a portable generator to arrive Monday. Visited bow shop again for new bow sight tuning. Will start packing truck Monday. Can’t believe it’s already time to go. Departing Thursday morning.

Following. You're going to have a great time! Hunted that area as a kid. Too long ago to offer any help though.
Be safe!

Best of luck to you! I’ll be following along, I’m hopeful for your success from a stand. I’ve killed a couple of mule deer from a tree stand and plan to do it again in a couple weeks!

I scouted up three studs so far, all in bow range just feeding. All within two miles of my camp. 180-190". Only problem so far is all the bounty hunters I've bumped into. None with a tag of course. Screened all my pre-determined spots except one. Hatch Bench. Anyone know what roads to access this area? Most of it looks private. Thx.

I scouted up three studs so far, all in bow range just feeding. All within two miles of my camp. 180-190". Only problem so far is all the bounty hunters I've bumped into. None with a tag of course. Screened all my pre-determined spots except one. Hatch Bench. Anyone know what roads to access this area? Most of it looks private. Thx.

Bounty hunters? I’ve never heard that phrase. Paid? 🤮 I am very uncomfortable if this is a growing system. Another way for the rich to game the system. Wait, did I hear a story about a big Arizona strip buck getting killed this way?

How do you know they were bounty hunters? Good luck !

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back