Caribou Gear Tarp

Utah Paunsagunt Archery Deer

Before my health decline, I was a very good elk hunter. Mule deer, not so much. 😂 I really suck at this spot & stalking mule deer hunting. Bumped another stud at 40 yards yesterday morning. Four in the same 50 acres over five days. Moved to a more stalkable terrain and glassed another shooter across the canyon, but it was hot out and he came out way too late to try a stalk. Back here this morning same spot. A good start, minions here!

Not sure how to estimate mule deer rack width. If a buck has two full ear lengths on both sides when alert & facing me, 7” + head 6” + 7” + 7” + 7” = 34” ? Does that sound right?

Last edited:
Not sure how to estimate mule deer rack width. If a buck has two full ear lengths on each side when alert & facing me, 7” + head 6” + 7” + 7” + 7” = 34” ? Does that sound right?
SEND IT

BTW - I failed to update last few days because I went down in a deep canyon and up the other side and really pissed off my left Achilles. It was barkin something awful and I needed to recover. It’s much better today, all stretched out too. So I had two close encounters yesterday but blew stalking attempts to where I totally gave up that option. Now it’s either vehicle drive by solo jump out style, or my Ghost Blind in a saddle. Also wanted to mention, I had a young Mossback guide flag me down to talk. He drove me to some nearby bucks he glassed and explained their travel pattern. Showed me their saddle route. I don’t think he ever met a regular state lottery permit hunter before? Guy was super helpful. I emailed their office to compliment him, and leave my cell number in case he wanted to take a client there.

Had an interesting morning. Set up Ghost Blind in saddle. Had a deer come in silent from behind and snort 20 yards behind me. Startled me! Then later two bucks moved thru but nothing big. But I did nock my 2nd arrow! During my hunt I glassed a nice 190” across the canyon, but no way my Achilles would allow me a stalk there. So I texted the Mossback guy and he sent his buddy, who I showed where he was and he found him bedded with his good quality scope. So that was cool. He had scouting photos of that buck. Buck bedded over a private property fence line but they may set up below him in case he feeds back on the public this evening.

I’m curious if he comes back down onto public this evening. We exchanged cell numbers so I’ll know tonight what happened. He’s a real nice buck deep forks.

Last edited:
StopSignBluesky.jpg

Enjoying the updates and your laid back approach to this hunt of a lifetime! Keep it coming

Has my best day of the hunt so far yesterday morning. Decided to give up that road hunting method entirely. Hated it anyway. Found hunting saddles in my Ghost Blind was the best way to go for me. After some software problem delayed my start, set up and and at 8 am had six does and one fork move thru the saddle all at 38 yards. None saw me. So that was a nice change. Then at 8:30 am saw a flash of antler. He went down in elevation then I seen him approach thru a juniper but he was on my right side. I failed to prep that side as the cover shielded me from the sun. Buck stepped out at 26 yards, a 180” 4x4 not deep forks but 30” wide. He stared me down for ten minutes before moving on. And he’s followed by the shooter 190” I glassed the morning before. Deep forks but only 28” wide. I tried to reposition for a shot but got busted by a third 180” type buck. All in my range, but just couldn’t draw. After all this ended I spent an hour studying my setup, trimming shooting lanes, and adding high cuttings for more shade. It should work now.
Returned to blind this morning but wind is wrong despite a good forecast. Morning thermals? Were fine yesterday. Anyway, getting closer yet.IMG_3032.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3046.jpeg
    IMG_3046.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3044.jpeg
    IMG_3044.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 69
I’ve used a ghost blind some, only ever killed one deer from it. I love the concept of the things, but I always had deer getting behind me. Never had a position to back up to a juniper like that. If I may offer a suggestion, cut some of the darker green juniper branches that match your back cover and lay them on the ground a few feet out from the blind, that way the reflection of them is what’s showing at the top edge of the blind, it’ll blend with the background better and make the top edge look more broken up.
Good luck, how much more time do you have to hunt?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back