Utah Paunsagunt Archery Deer

It seems this will be the lost three day weekend. Minions everywhere and I mean everywhere. None with tags. Just truck after truck glassing only. However, they picked a good day to start because I was in my blind pre-dawn and there was a 1 mph wind from every direction. I had deer coming in twice but they winded me and bounded off. It was a lost cause. These are the days to try a change of pace to escape the minions. So I’m thinking of going to the top of the knob, where many bed, and look for a setup until Tuesday.

I’ve used a ghost blind some, only ever killed one deer from it. I love the concept of the things, but I always had deer getting behind me. Never had a position to back up to a juniper like that. If I may offer a suggestion, cut some of the darker green juniper branches that match your back cover and lay them on the ground a few feet out from the blind, that way the reflection of them is what’s showing at the top edge of the blind, it’ll blend with the background better and make the top edge look more broken up.
Good luck, how much more time do you have to hunt?
I have almost two full weeks. Will be nice once the Labor Day weekend is over with. That should send everyone home.

Just went from bad to worse. Glassed up a giant 230” monster Saturday evening. Unfortunately, one of the minions also saw him, and called in the cavalry. So the circus is now a traffic jamb of minions. What a system. Not sure if any of these dudes will leave Tuesday with the rest of the Labor Day crowds.IMG_3082.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3087.jpeg
    IMG_3087.jpeg
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 72
Yesterday evening I set up on the 230’s route, and where I could glass the draw behind that ridge. Saw lots of deer activity back there, including 15 bucks, 6 of which were 180’s. No way the spotters could see them. Will relocate there in the coming evenings. Got ten days left. I may not be as picky.

I think the 230” frenzy has slowed. That buck rarely uses that visible ridge. Quite sure the minions have not seen him. But I know his preferred route on the back side of the hill.

Yesterday evening I set up on the 230’s route, and where I could glass the draw behind that ridge. Saw lots of deer activity back there, including 15 bucks, 6 of which were 180’s. No way the spotters could see them. Will relocate there in the coming evenings. Got ten days left. I may not be as picky.

I think the 230” frenzy has slowed. That buck rarely uses that visible ridge. Quite sure the minions have not seen him. But I know his preferred route on the back side of the hill.
Keep after it!

I'm following along waiting for a grip and grin!!! Nice work keeping us updated. I'm pulling for you to connect on the big guy!!

Got a shot yesterday morning at a wide 190” but it was 50 yards and he jumped when his buddy saw me draw. I’ve never taken any shot at game from that far, but the M34 has been drilling those w/broadheads consistently. Clean miss. I’d definitely been happy with that buck at this stage. Between my last two sits I counted 25 bucks from between 30 -140 yards. This included a heavy 4x4 180” this morning feeding alone broadside but 70 yards out. He never got any closer. I was torn if I should take him if he came in range. Glad I didn’t have to decide. Standards are lower but that’s still bottom lol. It’s so tough to not get spotted. Hard to get one isolated with less eyeballs looking. This saddle is really nice as new bucks show up here every morning. I’ll sit here for next three hunts while the wind is perfect NW. After that I’ll go back after the Monster. Went exploring yesterday evening, but nothing gained, so will devote my last 8 days to my two most productive areas. Always see deer at these two places. No more photos within bow range, I got busted twice this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_3110.jpeg
    IMG_3110.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3122.jpeg
    IMG_3122.jpeg
    290 KB · Views: 88
A 180 is an awesome buck any day anywhere imo. I don’t think I could live with myself if I went home empty handed after passing a 180. From this side of the keyboard I’ll be envious, certainly not typing “why the heck would you shoot such a dink?!” lol good luck!

I had that tag at least 25 years ago. Found a nice water seep and set up a tree stand and had some decent bucks come in. Then stalked and killed a 185 with my recurve. Waiting an hour to go after it the coyotes had aready found it and ate some of the hind quarters. Fond memories. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back