Deer Hunting in MI

I have been looking at land the last couple of years in the mitten and HOPEFULLY am growing closer to pulling that trigger. Saw this and literally said out loud "Damn, I miss euchre!!" There is so much about the Midwest I miss and being in the deer woods in November eases it. If you can make yourself comfortable enough to sit all day it is the move......if not, take a little midday/lunch break and don't beat yourself up about it. Check out what tags are available to you, and as mentioned above, shoot the does!!!! Is this place above or below the rifle line?
Dad wants us to go for does, so above. Only bucks if they are big boys.

This has been a dream of his forever and I wish he would stop breaking his back working his job job and start breaking his back maintaining this property (the changeover is in October from the former owners). He knows the neighbors and they have been planting food plots all year (the properties are side by side and we're hunting on both!).

Anyway - this is his "compound" where he will eventually "indoctrinate the grandchildren in the summers" to the ways of MAGA, fishing, and "doing shit in the woods" :LOL:

Secret to long sits on the stand is to keep your snack game strong. I'm partial to Bobo's oat bars. I'm not ashamed to bring a Jetboil along for a fresh, hot cup of coffee on cold mornings in the swamp, either.

I'll usually have a book in my packbut found I'm much more observant if I listen to a podcast with one Airpod in, on low volume. Shot a doe with my .257 Ackley to the dulcet tones of Uncle Randy playing in my ear last winter.

Anyway - this is his "compound" where he will eventually "indoctrinate the grandchildren in the summers" to the ways of MAGA, fishing, and "doing shit in the woods" :LOL:

So, two thoughts:

1.) Hell yeah. that's what grandpa's should do.

2.) Regionally, the words "compound" and "indoctrinate" carry various meanings and implications. Given the Mitten's proclivity to militias and ICP inspired kidnapping schemes, you may want to choose words that don't ring that particular bell. Words that impart the same meaning, but don't trigger the sensitive are those such as "Camp" and "passing on valuable outdoors skills and our sporting heritage."

Doing shit in the woods is still universally accepted though.

:p

First of all- love the comics. Hope you’ll share more in the future.

Second- deer hit food plots first and last light. They like to stay more hidden during the day, but still still move to eat acorns or low browse. Thicker areas are usually bedding, and there will be travel corridors to the food. Does bed closer to food than bucks, and typically arrive earlier. Pinch points and path of least resistance can help you narrow down places to set up.

If you blow out a bedding area, the deer might not come back for a couple days, so watching your wind can be important on smaller properties. Might be able to get in to a stand safe, but not get out when the deer reposition.

Carrying your heavier layers in a backpack instead of wearing them can keep you from sweating, which keeps you warmer in the long run.

Oak and maple leaves are loud when it’s dry, and I like to hunt with my ears. Pine needles can be unbelievably quiet, so eyes matter more in that cover.

If you can- an old sleeping bag makes a great way to stay warm. But it can get trashed from boots, stands, knives, heaters, etc.

I’ll second the milkweed suggestion. It’s pretty great.

Other than that- enjoy it! It’s not the same as hunting out west- a lot more noise, and more going on. But it’s fun in its own way.

From another michigander, you mentioned the potential to bowhunt the rifle season? If you are that gung-ho about bow hunting, I would actually suggest hunting Nov 3 or 4th through maybe the 10th or 12th. I have found the best "chase phase" of the rut is happening during those times and hunting during any part of the day could produce. Especially on private ground.

Someone else asked if the property was above or below the "rifle line". If you are below the line, I also suggest shooting as many doe as you can. This half of the state is PACKED with deer.

Good luck and welcome to the mitten!!!

Welp we're shirking our traditional bird hunt in South Dakota this year because my dad bought some land in N Michigan and can't wait to deer hunt on it. Last time I was deer hunting was when I was 11:

View attachment 339058

View attachment 339059
I'm used to tromping up ridges and kicking my own ass out here hunting elk.

Sitting in a deer stand and freezing my ass off...well I have questions.
Odds of deer actually walking by?
Timing - dawn 'til dusk in a blind/tree stand?
What else do I need to know? If freezing ass off in tree stand - what do you do to pass the time/not freeze ass off/not spook deer?

Wow love the graphic novel! You’ve got skills for sure. Looking forward to sharing with my Daughters.

Have you published any of your work? Would love to see more!

-Eliot

-Don’t push the property. You’re much better off letting the deer feel at ease and move around on their own.

-Pac boots +1 your normal size, wear heavy socks over light socks.

-Practice shooting when you are dressed up like the Michelin Man. Practice shooting at a target from a stand/blind before trying on an animal.

-If you hunt a stand, make it comfortable. Seat cushion, back rest, wind break, roof, weapon and pack hooks, etc. Invest in a decent fall arrest system. Have a rope to hoist your gear and weapon up, after you climb up.

-Don’t be shy about cutting generous shooting lanes

-I like to bring binos and bird and squirrel watch, helps pass the time. Also, play a game of trying to identify every little sound in the woods. Or small game tips to try and arrow a squirrel…extra challenge to try and hit one on the ground - they usually jump the string.

-Set a couple game cams in alternate stand spots to keep tabs on deer movement in places you can’t see from your stand.

-The odds of seeing a deer are high…if you set up in the right location. I like to set up between doe feeding and bedding areas. Does are creatures of habit and tend to walk the same route day after day. I like to hug the bedding areas and catch them in staging areas. They often stage just inside cover, and then venture out in the open after dark.

-Staying warm is doable. I wear a heavy puffy over a light puffy, puffy pants, fur hat, chopper mittens with thin liners and hand warmers. I’m good to about -10, as long as I’m out of the wind. My nose runs, but I bring Vaseline and a handkerchief.

I’m a dark to dark sit hunter, but most people can’t stand the boredom. If you do get down and take a break, 10 AM to 3 PM is a good window. The first 3 hours of light and the last 1 hour of light have the most movement during the rut.

Welp we're shirking our traditional bird hunt in South Dakota this year because my dad bought some land in N Michigan and can't wait to deer hunt on it. Last time I was deer hunting was when I was 11:

View attachment 339058

View attachment 339059
I'm used to tromping up ridges and kicking my own ass out here hunting elk.

Sitting in a deer stand and freezing my ass off...well I have questions.
Odds of deer actually walking by?
Timing - dawn 'til dusk in a blind/tree stand?
What else do I need to know? If freezing ass off in tree stand - what do you do to pass the time/not freeze ass off/not spook deer?
There's so many deer in Michigan. Just setup in the right spot and you're always going to see some

I was of the impression that northern Michigan wasn't exactly thriving when it comes to deer numbers and still very much different than the southern portion? Maybe not the wolf #s like the UP but still winter and less ideal habitat?

But holy cow did I enjoy the serenity and the lack of stress about just sittin and being in tje whitetail woods and would just sit and soak it in.

This right here. I spend a lot of time in a stand each fall just zoning out, enjoying the surroundings, and not intentionally thinking about anything in particular.

The mind wonders to some crazy places after sitting still for a few hours, and it helps compartmentalize thoughts into nice tidy stacks. It’s also kind of fun to think back to the meandering string of thoughts after the day is over, like “that was an odd journey!”😜

This right here. I spend a lot of time in a stand each fall just zoning out, enjoying the surroundings, and not intentionally thinking about anything in particular.

The mind wonders to some crazy places after sitting still for a few hours, and it helps compartmentalize thoughts into nice tidy stacks. It’s also kind of fun to think back to the meandering string of thoughts after the day is over, like “that was an odd journey!”😜

It’s the rather profound and unique thing about it all. It’s zero stress compared to western hunting. That doesn’t make it easy or boring, just very refreshing.

There are less internal arguments about how far to go, which canyon to focus on, which knob to glass on, how many miles can I handle, how many miles do I have to hike after dark, which direction to drive, and rather far more internal arguments about how much piss and chew spit in one spot is too much?

All of the how to's have been well covered. If I can keep my head, hands, feet warm I can stay longer. For hands, I know longer wear big, bulky, warm gloves. I much prefer a muff with light gloves and a handwarmer if needed.

If at all possible, I'd try to sit all day on the opener/opening weekend. I shot my biggest buck ever two years ago a 2pm on the opener as he was trailing does. Would not be surprised if they hadn't been bumped by someone heading in for the evening sit.

Don’t leave the blind at lunch time. That’s when most other hunters walk around and push deer all over. Food is your friend, When I think north Michigan I think just north of Grand Rapids where 75mph starts on us 131. Akerns(acorns) are everywhere. Well at least in
My neck of the woods. Keep is posted

All of the how to's have been well covered. If I can keep my head, hands, feet warm I can stay longer. For hands, I know longer wear big, bulky, warm gloves. I much prefer a muff with light gloves and a handwarmer if needed.

If at all possible, I'd try to sit all day on the opener/opening weekend. I shot my biggest buck ever two years ago a 2pm on the opener as he was trailing does. Would not be surprised if they hadn't been bumped by someone heading in for the evening sit.
Welcome back! Haven’t seen you for a while.

My biggest bucks have been shot middle of day while they were scent checking after woods emptied of hunters. Mature bucks know when to move during middle of day. Enjoy the entire day, deer get pushed by hunters coming and going so why not take advantage of this normal hunting activity? Late season hunting on your new property might be another time to try. My 2nd biggest buck (156 7/8)mid day muzzleloader (2019) just taking a stroll. It was really cold with 6-8" snow on ground.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back