Trump is shot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone give a brief synopsis of the VP pick?
Grew up poor in a dysfunctional poor white trash family. Served honorably in the military. Went to Yale law school and worked at an investment bank. Wrote his “rags to riches” story in a book “Hillbilly Elegy”. Road that fame to Senate seat. Has run hot/cold on Trump but more recently hot. At his best he speaks to the struggling middle class that is becoming the foundation of the new GOP. At his worst he is green and can bounce around a bit on policy. He is the second best option for Trump - Nikki was #1. But he is an absolutely on point choice for the platform.

Grew up poor in a dysfunctional poor white trash family. Served honorably in the military. Went to Yale law school and worked at an investment bank. Wrote his “rags to riches” story in a book “Hillbilly Elegy”. Road that fame to Senate seat. Has run hot/cold on Trump but more recently hot. At his best he speaks to the struggling middle class that is becoming the foundation of the new GOP. At his worst he is green and can bounce around a bit on policy. He is the second best option for Trump - Nikki was #1. But he is an absolutely on point choice for the platform.

Trump picks Sen. J.D. Vance, a former critic, to be his running mate.png

Yeah, he’s a real bastion of integrity.

Not saying he will, but do you think if Trump offered her Secretary of State, she would turn it down? Her aspiration is to be president. Trumps in the drivers seat at the moment, I could totally see her hitching her wagon back up.
She is going to speak at the convention. Appears all the bad blood is behind her, for now anyway. Happens all the time in politics. Obama and Biden didn't care for each other as well.

You have some in the first place? Serious question.
Yes. I don't care the letter by the name, I respect someone that leans middle. They typically recognize reality and are willing to tell people what I call "uncomfortable truths". I'm sure I don't agree with all of her policies, but I don't agree with the a lot of the policies of the current administration. Hell, I don't agree with myself on a lot of thing. LOL.
For a definition of unportable truths, look at the new Republican platform for 2024 and ask if there was anything acknowledging difficult choices needing to be made. Yes, it happens on both sides, but this one is terribly oversimplified. It is basically saying screw the "libs" and you will still get your checks.

I read Vance's book and there was a lot I could relate to. Of course he has moved even further right since being elected. Oddly, I see quite a few people who benefitted from public assistance programs as kids and excelled out of them turn on them in later life. I don't have an explanation for that. Like I said, a lot of people will do whatever is in their best interest and Vance has been pushing his political football hard to MAGA.

Oddly, I see quite a few people who benefitted from public assistance programs as kids and excelled out of them turn on them in later life. I don't have an explanation for that.
Perhaps he saw the shortcomings and abuse of them first hand which led to his distaste for them

Yes. I don't care the letter by the name, I respect someone that leans middle. They typically recognize reality and are willing to tell people what I call "uncomfortable truths". I'm sure I don't agree with all of her policies, but I don't agree with the a lot of the policies of the current administration. Hell, I don't agree with myself on a lot of thing. LOL.
For a definition of unportable truths, look at the new Republican platform for 2024 and ask if there was anything acknowledging difficult choices needing to be made. Yes, it happens on both sides, but this one is terribly oversimplified. It is basically saying screw the "libs" and you will still get your checks.

I read Vance's book and there was a lot I could relate to. Of course he has moved even further right since being elected. Oddly, I see quite a few people who benefitted from public assistance programs as kids and excelled out of them turn on them in later life. I don't have an explanation for that. Like I said, a lot of people will do whatever is in their best interest and Vance has been pushing his political football hard to MAGA.
That was mostly in jest. I know you don't pick according to the letter next to the name. I don't much care for her but that's a song for another time.

Whoever thought Nikki had even a remote chance at being Trumps VP needs to quit having opinions on politics. Should have just said Hilary and it would have made more sense! I don’t like Trump but I find him not to be in the same war monger class of the establishment. Then again I don’t know a single thing about this Vance pick.

Not saying he will, but do you think if Trump offered her Secretary of State, she would turn it down? Her aspiration is to be president. Trumps in the drivers seat at the moment, I could totally see her hitching her wagon back up.
It is a good question. Hard to disagree. A career politician would say yes, but she needs to realize she is being put in a position of failure. She will have the same problem (x2) in that job that that she had as UN Ambassador. Trump is an unpredictable wildcard in the eyes of foreign leaders. That will make that SoS a very difficult job.
Perhaps he saw the shortcomings and abuse of them first hand which led to his distaste for them
Hard to complain about the meal after you have a full stomach. I'm not saying those programs couldn't use an overhaul, but mostly there is meaningless rhetoric around the idea. A lot of the MAGA still eats at the table of public assistance.

I was still hoping Ben Carson, but knew it wouldn't happen. VG is right, Vance is pretty new, hard to say how he will turn out, though Marine Corps and Yale Law (at the time he went there) + rise from poverty in rust belt is not bad.

Haven't read his book, but plan to.

Glad it wasn't Nikki (forever wars) or Dougie from ND (boring) or Kristi (I like dogs).

Debate against Kamala should be worth a watch. Maybe there will be Venn diagrams and other cool stuff.

I was still hoping Ben Carson
Was Ben on the list? I would hope Ben has enough smarts to not get in bed with Trump. Then again, Trump's good at firing people. That would resonate well on Ben's resume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meatball
Back