Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Sighting in a 7mm-08 for the first time

Trapper I checked the Hornady sight for the ballistics on the 7-08 lite. It said it's a 120 grain SST bullet. It gives the ballistics option to put in your zero range. In this case I plugged in 40 yards and the info shows at 175 yards you will be 1.6 inches low. From 40 to 175 you will not be over an inch high so in this case you should be good if you have a actual 40 yard zero. I would suggest you set a target at 100 yards and verify this information. I think you will be ok as far as the zero.

But I think the 120 SST bullet may not be the best choice. The 139 grain BTSP load I think is a better choice. So pick your shot namely a broadside shot in the lungs. Good luck!
It's actually the 139 gr I guess I should of said thay

Your absolute minimum distance for sighting in would be 50 yds. Ballistically speaking, that should be very close to a 200yd zero, but would still need confirmed at range.

A 25yd zero would net you a 300yd zero, again to be confirmed at range.

As to your original question, 8 rds is not enough to sight in and hunt with. I've been flat broke before, and it does suck. You need to decide what your wants and needs are and prioritize them. Everything has a cost, be it time or money.
I'm gonna get some more rounds try to atleast

Putting in the Hornady 139 SST in the Superformance line in the ballistics program. The results show it 1 inch high at 100 yards with the 40 yard zero. It is 1 inch low at 200 yards. So again, verify your rifle at 100 yards. Good luck and pick your shot and take your time, don't rush the shot.

Putting in the Hornady 139 SST in the Superformance line in the ballistics program. The results show it 1 inch high at 100 yards with the 40 yard zero. It is 1 inch low at 200 yards. So again, verify your rifle at 100 yards. Good luck and pick your shot and take your time, don't rush the shot.
Thanks I would say I'm pretty good at pickin things lol

Only BB guns would need sighting in at 10 yards. I stand by my previous post. Next year.
Eh maybe maybe not I've always been a go getter and I think I got this under wraps. Or something like that but why wait Next year and lose experience this year? But I am gonna remember the phase things. But Next year I'm gonna try for a bear tag depending on how this year goes

Not sure if theres someone local that could help you with some field mentorship - but id suggest that and a 22 to practice up with in either case. You can learn all the dynamics of adjusting your scope without spending a dollar every trigger pull. Theres a lot of great resources online - but you ultimately have to do it to understand completely.

It takes range time and some practice. You dont want a wounding gut shot to be your first one. I would suggest at least 2 boxes for hunting with 10 rds, sight in with 10 rds, and practice for 20.

Not sure if theres someone local that could help you with some field mentorship - but id suggest that and a 22 to practice up with in either case. You can learn all the dynamics of adjusting your scope without spending a dollar every trigger pull. Theres a lot of great resources online - but you ultimately have to do it to understand completely.

It takes range time and some practice. You dont want a wounding gut shot to be your first one. I would suggest at least 2 boxes for hunting with 10 rds, sight in with 10 rds, and practice for 20.
So shoot 10 rounds to zero then shoot another 20 for practice? Got it I think. I did see a video saying shoot one shot at the target then move the crosshair with the turret to where the first shot hit then shoot again and it's zeroed. Is that true?

He said he had Hornady Custom Lite ammo, not Superformance unless I misread something. The two would be worlds apart ballistically.

So shoot 10 rounds to zero then shoot another 20 for practice? Got it I think. I did see a video saying shoot one shot at the target then move the crosshair with the turret to where the first shot hit then shoot again and it's zeroed. Is that true?
It will usually get you close. Never trust it, shoot more to confirm and/or adjust.

He said he had Hornady Custom Lite ammo, not Superformance unless I misread something. The two would be worlds apart ballistically.
True he said that but according to the Hornady site listing the 139 SST that is the only load with that bullet. So it could wrong but non the less he needs to shoot whichever load he has at 100 yards and go from there.

IF you can keep the rifle perfectly stable while you make the scope adjustment, and that is a BIG if.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Levi_hicks
Back