Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Sighting in a 7mm-08 for the first time

Alright folks I sighted the rifle in I got 3 shells left which should only take 1 for the deer now it is a little bit right so I adjusted it to the left and I believe we're golden now. So now I'm just getting ready for in the morning (first day of season) thanks everyone that has helped answer my questions

I can almost see where this is going because I lived it. One year in high school I started the slug season with a box of 5. Not raised in a hunting family so no one set me straight. Opening morning had a buck in front of me at 75 yards. Whistled two under him and rolled him with the third…or so I thought. Was excited and unloaded my gun to climb down and he got up and ran.

Followed a good blood trail for about 75 yards and he got up and jumped into a standing corn field and took off. Those two left in the gun made me feel like crap. Finally got some sense about me and backed out. Gave him a few hours before I was back on his trail. Eventually found him. Mounted the little basket rack alongside the three empties. Won’t ever make that mistake of not having enough ammo again.

I can almost see where this is going because I lived it. One year in high school I started the slug season with a box of 5. Not raised in a hunting family so no one set me straight. Opening morning had a buck in front of me at 75 yards. Whistled two under him and rolled him with the third…or so I thought. Was excited and unloaded my gun to climb down and he got up and ran.

Followed a good blood trail for about 75 yards and he got up and jumped into a standing corn field and took off. Those two left in the gun made me feel like crap. Finally got some sense about me and backed out. Gave him a few hours before I was back on his trail. Eventually found him. Mounted the little basket rack alongside the three empties. Won’t ever make that mistake of not having enough ammo again.
Well problem is I ain't shooting anything at 75 yards because I ain't got a spot that's 75 yards. Next I know not to get out of my stand immediately that's like 101 to be honest next if shit does go bad I have a group of hounds i could in theory use to find it may have to see if that's legal? But I believe it is but if not i can still track it. Not a huge problem. Next a deers lung is about 10 inchs long from the middle of my bullseye to where it hit is a inch so not horrible but should be a double lung at 50 feet farthest is 70 feet not horrible if you ask me. I should note that I do have a bolt action 410 with slugs (25 shells) but I don't feel confident with it so not gonna use it but it is there

Please do not shoot a deer with.410 slugs. I have never seen a good outcome from doing that, and have seen several bad outcomes.
Had a uncle do that once slug went higher then he expected smacked the deer in the spine needless to say took 2 slugs that day for a small spike. Now my grandpa swears up and down a single shot 410 with slugs is all one needs yet he hunts with a 30-30...

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bcsanchez428
Back