Sighting in a 7mm-08 for the first time

TrapperJ

Hello folks it's my first post in this part of hunttalk. But here's what my problem is I bought a savage axis in 7mm-08 back in March then I bought a barsika scope for it and a gunsmith put the scope on and bore sighted the gun. So then a few days later I bought some hornady custom lite for it and shot at around 40 yards at a somewhat thin metal target well then I left the rifle as it was. Till now and now with 4 day deer season away I figured I would sight the gun in problem Is I only have 8 rounds and with 7mm.08 ammo being 40 bucks I can't really go out and buy it ( I have other bills) so I was wondering could I sight it in with 8 rounds and still have a few for deer season and my 2 distances I'm gonna be shooting is 40 yards and 80 yards. I was wondering if I could sight it in at maybe 30 or 50 feet then how would it do at 40 and 80 yards. Any tips would be helpful thanks.

If finances are that tight I’d be going through some of the stuff I have. Sell something and go get the other box of ammo you need.

There are plenty of things you can get by without but it’s our responsibility once you decide to pull that trigger with an animal on the other side, do it right.

Yeah, you're gonna need more than that. Brand new rifle, not sighted in and no practice time. NOBODY sights one in that close. Forget about deer hunting this year. Not nearly enough time to get ready. If anything, zero at 100 yards. That will probably take all 8 rounds if not more. It varies. After that see where it hits at 50. Probably not far off at all but you will know just where you are. 40 yards is pretty damn close. You need to PRACTICE and PRACTICE MORE! You wasted the other rounds just shooting at stuff. Don't take a chance of crippling a deer if you actually get a chance to shoot one. You HAVE to know that you can make the shot. Like I said before, SLOW DOWN! You're getting ahead of yourself. You haven't found deer yet, you don't have a weapon ready, you really aren't prepared to go out and hunt. Know what to do with one after you kill it? It's not as simple as buying a gun and sitting in the woods until you see a deer and killing it. I know you don't want to hear this but you need to spend some time shooting and doing some more learning about what you are trying to do. Reading a book won't cut it. Take a Saturday and get out in the woods QUIETLY before sunrise. SIT STILL! Just sit there and watch for a couple hours. See what happens. Maybe just go squirrel hunting and hone your skills. Sorry, but I feel this year is too soon for you to try deer hunting without someone helping you.

Yeah, you're gonna need more than that. Brand new rifle, not sighted in and no practice time. NOBODY sights one in that close. Forget about deer hunting this year. Not nearly enough time to get ready. If anything, zero at 100 yards. That will probably take all 8 rounds if not more. It varies. After that see where it hits at 50. Probably not far off at all but you will know just where you are. 40 yards is pretty damn close. You need to PRACTICE and PRACTICE MORE! You wasted the other rounds just shooting at stuff. Don't take a chance of crippling a deer if you actually get a chance to shoot one. You HAVE to know that you can make the shot. Like I said before, SLOW DOWN! You're getting ahead of yourself. You haven't found deer yet, you don't have a weapon ready, you really aren't prepared to go out and hunt. Know what to do with one after you kill it? It's not as simple as buying a gun and sitting in the woods until you see a deer and killing it. I know you don't want to hear this but you need to spend some time shooting and doing some more learning about what you are trying to do. Reading a book won't cut it. Take a Saturday and get out in the woods QUIETLY before sunrise. SIT STILL! Just sit there and watch for a couple hours. See what happens. Maybe just go squirrel hunting and hone your skills. Sorry, but I feel this year is too soon for you to try deer hunting without someone helping you.
I gotta say you've been the most helpful person here so far (no offense anyone) asfar as finding deer I believe I have and as far as practicing it aint like I'm new with a gun I've shot everything from a 22 to a 30 30 just this is my first time a 7mm-08 and I hear it's flat shooting so I'm hoping it is. But I figured if I could get a small group at 20 yards or so I could move out to 40 and test it then move to 80 and test it also I'm gonna look for some cheaper ammo tomorrow. Now as far after the kill ain't that feast time lol. I do know how to field Dress but I will be back to probably ask something. As far as squirrel hunting I ain't really ever got to much into that I have killed some but other then that not a huge fan. But can you tell or explain 1 thing to me the turrets on my scope say 1 click for 100 yards does that still apply at 40 or no?

Hello folks it's my first post in this part of hunttalk. But here's what my problem is I bought a savage axis in 7mm-08 back in March then I bought a barsika scope for it and a gunsmith put the scope on and bore sighted the gun. So then a few days later I bought some hornady custom lite for it and shot at around 40 yards at a somewhat thin metal target well then I left the rifle as it was. Till now and now with 4 day deer season away I figured I would sight the gun in problem Is I only have 8 rounds and with 7mm.08 ammo being 40 bucks I can't really go out and buy it ( I have other bills) so I was wondering could I sight it in with 8 rounds and still have a few for deer season and my 2 distances I'm gonna be shooting is 40 yards and 80 yards. I was wondering if I could sight it in at maybe 30 or 50 feet then how would it do at 40 and 80 yards. Any tips would be helpful thanks.
No offense but If $40 is keeping you from sighting in to go deer hunting you might want to look into another hobby. With the price of gas it will probably cost more to drive to a hunting spot than $40 during a season.
I would sight the rifle in dead on at 100 yards and call it good.

No offense but If $40 is keeping you from sighting in to go deer hunting you might want to look into another hobby. With the price of gas it will probably cost more to drive to a hunting spot than $40 during a season.
Actually I drive diesel so yes I'm broke also it's Actually walking distance to both places so not bad

I could just bite the bullet and buy the 40 dollar ammo which I probably will

Norma whitetail is a little over 20 a box and is lights out in accuracy and consistency. Don't be mislead, soft points still work.

Your turrets are either calibrated either 1/4" or 1/2" per click at 100 yards, don't know that scope's particulars. If you are shooting at 50 yards, you will need twice the movement of the turrets to get the same change, 25 yards it would be 4 times the movement of the turret.

Your turrets are either calibrated either 1/4" or 1/2" per click at 100 yards, don't know that scope's particulars. If you are shooting at 50 yards, you will need twice the movement of the turrets to get the same change, 25 yards it would be 4 times the movement of the turret.
Thank you alot for answering that so if that's the case at 10 yards how many clicks would that be?

Trapper I checked the Hornady sight for the ballistics on the 7-08 lite. It said it's a 120 grain SST bullet. It gives the ballistics option to put in your zero range. In this case I plugged in 40 yards and the info shows at 175 yards you will be 1.6 inches low. From 40 to 175 you will not be over an inch high so in this case you should be good if you have a actual 40 yard zero. I would suggest you set a target at 100 yards and verify this information. I think you will be ok as far as the zero.

But I think the 120 SST bullet may not be the best choice. The 139 grain BTSP load I think is a better choice. So pick your shot namely a broadside shot in the lungs. Good luck!

Thank you alot for answering that so if that's the case at 10 yards how many clicks would that be?

Your absolute minimum distance for sighting in would be 50 yds. Ballistically speaking, that should be very close to a 200yd zero, but would still need confirmed at range.

A 25yd zero would net you a 300yd zero, again to be confirmed at range.

As to your original question, 8 rds is not enough to sight in and hunt with. I've been flat broke before, and it does suck. You need to decide what your wants and needs are and prioritize them. Everything has a cost, be it time or money.

Back