Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Influencers Ruining Stuff

No. They weren't easily shared.
They were/are more sharable than memories. We just escalated with technology.

Family friends were filming elk hunts and showing their friends in the early 2000s. All the way to petroglyphs if you take it that far.

I dont put hunting on social media anymore, myself. So the message has resonated. But "ruining" things is a bit of an overstatement. Jmho

Your draw odds keep getting worse, there’s more hunters in your favorite spots and on the landscape than ever before, the forkys can’t make it to 3, most of these hunters wouldn’t hunt if they couldn’t make videos or post to social media, but @Forkyfinder doesn't care, doesn’t affect him
If you value being on hunt talk at all, I would caution you on calling it as it is. Wild times we live in.

Frankly, I had no idea buzz said that:
I agree generally for your specific areas. Has leasing, hunting clubs, outfitter leasing increased or decreased? How about ATV use? Trail cams?

The 30K foot view, which I tend to base my observations on, is that things have not changed for the better. I also only provided a partial list of things that have caused the issues being discussed.

Do you think being able to apply for tags in about 2-3 minutes via the 'net has any kind of impact? You certainly remember the days of requesting an application booklet, having to front the money, and fill out a paper application.

The thing I absolutely agree with you on, is that hunters will not police themselves. As far as wildlife managers, if they are allowed to operate without the political "over-sight" some can be trusted to do the right thing. Problem is, they get pressure from a few landowners, their legislators and politically appointed Director to make decisions NOT in the best interest of the hunting public or wildlife.

This doesn't have to be the case, but hunter apathy and a lack of people willing to put in even miniscule effort into supporting their biologists and having their backs when poor decisions are handed down from on high, leaves us where we are.

Hunters don't work to oust the clowns making bad calls, they systematically vote them in to office over and over and over again. They do the same things and expect different results, there's a term for that.

Too few folks out there working on behalf of wildlife, habitat, and public lands to compete with the other influences working against all of that as well as hunting.

Until that changes, we're going to continue with being forced to just stop the worst of it and will likely lose ground. Takes money, takes time, and effort and most hunters won't contribute to any of it.

Wish it were different, but that's the reality.

To add to this, the ability to use the internet to apply, in about 2-3 minutes per state, and to do so with only an application fee and associated plastic credit card has caused a spike as well.

Was a whole different deal 25-30 years ago when you had to submit via mail or phone call a a request for an application booklet. To know what area's to apply for you had to either have a good network of NR friends or make a bunch of phone calls. Then you had to march down to the bank, get a cashiers check for the entire tag fee, fill out a paper application, put a stamp on it and pray it got there in time. When I first starting applying all over, about 25 years ago, it wasn't uncommon for my wife and I to have $18-$20K out there rolling around in various drawings. Now? Maybe a grand or two.

Now you can wait until the last minute, see what other tags you draw or don't draw, do all of it via the net never having to know a thing or talk to anyone.

IMO, that has increased applicant numbers more than anything, the agencies have made it simple to apply all over the place.

You never had this point before Buzz was bringing it up in threads you were active in lol

As to this point - i think thats generational.

Would you have said the same thing about kodak pictures in the 80s? Or whenever they came out?
I liked when you first got on HuntTalk all fresh with all your own thoughts and opinions and ready to show off your muley and even though I didn’t agree with a lot of the things you had to say, at least you were true to yourself and it was fun watching you go against the grain naively on a lot of topics regarding hunting quietly, grazing public lands, etc.

Maybe it’s a being socially accepted human nature thing and/or a want/need to fit in with the cool kids, but now you just spew the same thoughts and opinions of the top 5 or 6 most vocal posters on this site and it’s kind of sad honestly. Guys you used to battle against now you just brown nose like you hope they’ll take you hunting one day or something. Whatever makes you happy in life though.

I liked when you first got on HuntTalk all fresh with all your own thoughts and opinions and ready to show off your muley and even though I didn’t agree with a lot of the things you had to say, at least you were true to yourself and it was fun watching you go against the grain naively on a lot of topics regarding hunting quietly, grazing public lands, etc.
Holy freaken run on sentences!

I’m waiting for @bigfin to unlock me so he can ban me for advocating for the things he is “advocating” for. What a joke.

Maybe it’s a being socially accepted human nature thing and/or a want/need to fit in with the cool kids, but now you just spew the same thoughts and opinions of the top 5 or 6 most vocal posters on this site and it’s kind of sad honestly. Guys you used to battle against now you just brown nose like you hope they’ll take you hunting one day or something. Whatever makes you happy in life though.
Na - i really dont give 2 squirts of shit either way. I think youve likely read me wrong. Look at my history of comments - much of it is disdain for the broken bond between landowners and their puppets in the legislature. My opinions on grazing have changed - but i am still very in tune with public lands getting a raw deal.

I agree accidently with @BuzzH and this is what happens.

As far as "hunt quietly" i still think matts a dolt. But as much as i think that - hes right about more than a few things. I dont put any content of any kind on social media anymore - including here.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back