Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Im bowing out

ah, if only it was that thought out and eloquent... if it was, i'd like to think if anything it's related to cormac mccarthy's refusal to use commas (which was actually a product, or ingredient?, of good writing. whereas i'm just lazy).

so, it's laziness. 90% of work communication occurs constantly and pervasively on something like google chat and microsoft teams where grammar and punctuation actually become tedious. 90% of personal communication occurs over text, where grammar and punctuation are twice as tedious. so i've decided that grammar and punctuation are, in fact, tedious and unnecessary for 90% of communication anymore ;)

Kinda funny I was thinking about this the other day…

There/their/they’re

Doesn’t matter at all for comprehension, everyone knows what you mean.

Commas, on the other hand, can be super important, unless you’re using a chat app and hit return and then convey meaning with that break in text.

Commas on the other hand can be super important.

but doesn't that work just as well? sans commas? that's how it likely would've come out of your mouth. without the pausing.

they certainly have use and importance. but the more i look the more i feel like they are often actually unnecessary.

i've come to the conclusion (in my own world of rules) that in many cases if you don't pause when you actually say it out loud, don't use a comma.

i've started refusing to use commas when i begin an e-mail.

where one would normally (and correctly) write "Good morning, Karen" i've begun intentionally writing "Good morning Karen"

i'm walking down the hall and bump into Karen, I don't say "good morning ...... Karen" I say "Good morning Karen" in one quick fell swoop. right or wrong, i refuse to do it the other way anymore.

when i worked for the state my e-mails, reports, and letters (lists are a different story for commas ;) ) all had a high chance of ending up on a projector in water court. so i did things to a T then.

but doesn't that work just as well? sans commas? that's how it likely would've come out of your mouth. without the pausing.

they certainly have use and importance. but the more i look the more i feel like they are often actually unnecessary.

i've come to the conclusion (in my own world of rules) that in many cases if you don't pause when you actually say it out loud, don't use a comma.

i've started refusing to use commas when i begin an e-mail.

where one would normally (and correctly) write "Good morning, Karen" i've begun intentionally writing "Good morning Karen"

i'm walking down the hall and bump into Karen, I don't say "good morning ...... Karen" I say "Good morning Karen" in one quick fell swoop. right or wrong, i refuse to do it the other way anymore.

when i worked for the state my e-mails, reports, and letters (lists are a different story for commas ;) ) all had a high chance of ending up on a projector in water court. so i did things to a T then.
I sorta get what your saying, but there is certainly pauses in many of the sentences above, and I know my brain is actively correcting your grammar in real-time, as I read it, so that it matches the cadence of speech.

I sorta get what your saying, but there is certainly pauses in many of the sentences above, and I know my brain is actively correcting your grammar in real-time, as I read it, so that it matches the cadence of speech.

i'm certainly not saying i'm right.

probably, mostly, just contrarian tendencies.

people like to say that cormac mccarthy's style - particularly his lack of quotation marks - requires more immersive engagement by the reader. i'm just tryin to force immersive engagement from all you fellow HTers ;)

Banning non-occupant sales doesn't fix much of the problem. In any market, "evil speculators" provide liquidity and help set a rational floor during down markets. The same is true for housing. As for non-rental o single family - does that mean if you need housing for 2 years due to job change, or can't get financing, or maybe are retired and downsizing, your only lawful option is an apartment complex? There are lots of people who do want or need single-family rentals. The problem is not that there are too many, probably there are too few given zoning and HOA restrictions.

Our issues with housing shortage/pricing are not too little government regulation and picking of winners and losers. It is unintended (or in some cases intended) consequences of a market that is getting way too much government love these days.

Agree, at least it seems that way in the MSP burbs. We own a rental townhouse that I felt was priced on the high end rent wise. Have had 60+ inquiries in the last week since we listed it for new tenants.

The biggest issue with picking an agent is the low barrier to entry leaves a lot of inexperienced agents. I own a real estate brokerage with around 70 agents. Some will negotiate, others not so much. As a general rule, you get what you pay for. The experienced and established agents get more for their work because they do a better job. It's just like every other profession.

I had a guy tell me he didn't want a listing agent because he could sell his house on his own in this market and his daughter is a real estate attorney and could help with the paperwork. He was going to sell it for $499k. I showed him what I could do and we closed two weeks ago for $690k, plus he gets to live there rent-free for two months to make sure he could find another home to buy. We sign on the purchase tomorrow.

In my (obviously biased) opinion, a good agent is worth their cost, but everybody has the right to decide if they hire an agent, who lists their home, and to try and work out whatever rate they both agree on. The key is to have open communication so everybody knows what to expect.
I agree 👍you often get what you pay for. I’m not suggesting it’s a good idea to seek out the lowest bidder for a real estate agent. Just pointing out there is a lot of very hungry realtors in my area since there’s almost no inventory. I would choose a realtor on experience and reputation not price. I don’t believe in saving pennies when it could cost me dollars. If the statistics my freind shared Is accurate roughly 700 out of 2000 realtors had zero sales for all of 2021 where I live. That’s not sustainable

We asked the same thing on the Central Coast 30 years ago. And I was building affordable homes.

I remember working 7days a week, 10-12 hour days and turning down as much work as we were doing from mid 90's to 2007 here in Utah.

Young kids, buying $200k fully finished ramblers on 1/3 acres. Young moms showing up in new Mormon Assault Vehicles to do walk throughs, while husband's were at work. They'd move in, with a new toy hauler, and either ATV, boats, or both.

More than once we would talk about how damn dumb we were killing ourselves, burning up our bodies, tools, trucks, while kids could swing that livestyle. Then came 08'.

It sure looks the same now as it did then. At some point, these companies are going to quit paying San Francisco wages, to live in BFE. Interest rates are headed up. Something. But THERE is way too much borrowed money and speculation out there now. That bubble will explode.

I remember working 7days a week, 10-12 hour days and turning down as much work as we were doing from mid 90's to 2007 here in Utah.

Young kids, buying $200k fully finished ramblers on 1/3 acres. Young moms showing up in new Mormon Assault Vehicles to do walk throughs, while husband's were at work. They'd move in, with a new toy hauler, and either ATV, boats, or both.

More than once we would talk about how damn dumb we were killing ourselves, burning up our bodies, tools, trucks, while kids could swing that livestyle. Then came 08'.

It sure looks the same now as it did then. At some point, these companies are going to quit paying San Francisco wages, to live in BFE. Interest rates are headed up. Something. But THERE is way too much borrowed money and speculation out there now. That bubble will explode.
I’d say your barking up the right tree.

Well I'm sad to say that today I think we bowed out too. We finally found the house that we're were looking for everything pretty much perfect about it. Problem is with the rising interest rates it put us about 10 to 15% over what we decided was our MAX. Sounds minimal but it just didn't sit right with me. In order to get it down to where we were comfortable would have cost me an additional $50,000~ down. So we would have had no safety savings and in my line of work you have to have that. So I guess this means we're bowing out too. Shitty to let that house go, but I've learned when your gut tells you don't do it you shouldn't as much as that sucks at the moment. I'm going to go drink myself to sleep now, good evening.

Well I'm sad to say that today I think we bowed out too. We finally found the house that we're were looking for everything pretty much perfect about it. Problem is with the rising interest rates it put us about 10 to 15% over what we decided was our MAX. Sounds minimal but it just didn't sit right with me. In order to get it down to where we were comfortable would have cost me an additional $50,000~ down. So we would have had no safety savings and in my line of work you have to have that. So I guess this means we're bowing out too. Shitty to let that house go, but I've learned when your gut tells you don't do it you shouldn't as much as that sucks at the moment. I'm going to go drink myself to sleep now, good evening.
Damn. Sorry it played out like that, Nick.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back