Kenetrek Boots

Im bowing out

i did a LOT of calculus and physics in college. my dad is an accomplished engineer, he's nearly retired. i'm only like 6 or 7 years into my career. neither of us have touched or done calculus since college and neither of us ever will again, i suspect.

wish i learned a little more about taxes tho.

i did a LOT of calculus and physics in college. my dad is an accomplished engineer, he's nearly retired. i'm only like 6 or 7 years into my career. neither of us have touched or done calculus since college and neither of us ever will again, i suspect.

Calculus and latin - two rigorous subject areas that very very few ever use later in life. I think pushing college content into high schools is actually one of the problems, not a success.

If it makes you feel any better I went the accounting route to avoid that damn calculus 😅

Calculus and latin - two rigorous subject areas that very very few ever use later in life. I think pushing college content into high schools is actually one of the problems, not a success.

of all the things i had to do in college that prepped me for the "real world" the most, it was technical writing. but that only proved useful in my first couple of jobs. i already don't really do technical writing anymore.

the thing i wish i learned more in college that they didn't push, excel and SQL. but that got picked up pretty quickly as i've had to do it.

it just seems most undergraduate degrees are prepping you for the advanced degrees/academia, not for jobs.

My perception is an experienced and established agent would from a revenue perspective be more interested with working with someone in the McMansion market than someone looking for a "starter" home, so lip service to non McMansion folks and take them to a website, while work harder for McMansion folks? If that is true, would an inexperienced agent tend to work harder for non-McMansion folks?
I can't speak for everywhere, but where we're at, that's not correct. I'd rather have five $400k listings than one $2MM listing. I don't get paid for taking listings, I get paid when they sell. For example, I'm closing on a $1.75MM home next week, but it has taken five months to get to this point. I wouldn't want to run my business reliant on selling those homes.

I can't speak for everywhere, but where we're at, that's not correct. I'd rather have five $400k listings than one $2MM listing. I don't get paid for taking listings, I get paid when they sell. For example, I'm closing on a $1.75MM home next week, but it has taken five months to get to this point. I wouldn't want to run my business reliant on selling those homes.
I think what he is asking is more is that on the 1 2MM listing, is the agent is more likely to negotiate for a better price sale needs more hand holding etc. So your agent is perceived to "work" more, while on a lessor value listing all they are doing is just filing boiler plate paper work.

This has not been my experience at all, but I think that's the question.

I think what he is asking is more is that on the 1 2MM listing, is the agent is more likely to negotiate for a better price sale needs more hand holding etc. So your agent is perceived to "work" more, while on a lessor value listing all they are doing is just filing boiler plate paper work.

This has not been my experience at all, but I think that's the question.
Gotcha. Most people don't understand what goes on behind the scenes during a transaction, but there's more "work" than people think. It's a "no news is good news" sort of deal. If you're not talking to your agent regularly and everything goes smoothly and it closes on time, the agent did a good job... sometimes that's perceived as the agent not working hard.

I look at it like a mechanic who fixes some difficult intermittent problem on your car the first time you take it in, instead of you taking your car back to him a half dozen times while he figures it out. I'd rather the mechanic make it look "easy" than be part of the struggle. That's what makes a good mechanic.

If the question is about "lip service" for starter home buyers, I haven't seen that. If it's more about being willing to negotiate on a higher-priced home's listing percentage, I do believe that can be true due to the raw economics of it.

I personally am willing to negotiate more with my clients based on them buying their next home with me than the initial sales price of their existing home, but as I mentioned above, everybody should get to work out what both sides agree on. The key is to have open communication at the onset.

or expressing your devotion to ee cummings

ah, if only it was that thought out and eloquent... if it was, i'd like to think if anything it's related to cormac mccarthy's refusal to use commas (which was actually a product, or ingredient?, of good writing. whereas i'm just lazy).

so, it's laziness. 90% of work communication occurs constantly and pervasively on something like google chat and microsoft teams where grammar and punctuation actually become tedious. 90% of personal communication occurs over text, where grammar and punctuation are twice as tedious. so i've decided that grammar and punctuation are, in fact, tedious and unnecessary for 90% of communication anymore ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back