Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bozeman: is it really that bad anymore?

I remember tales of a barista that used to put on a show like that for tips by airport road in belgrade. I must not have tipped enough. Also remember the coffee hut in 4 corners that they used to dress all skimpy?

This will date me: I remember my college days Blue Laws in Bozeman when bars closed at 1 AM and we had to race out to the Corner Club (the first one that burned down) or to Staceys in Gallatin Gateway to quench our after-1 AM beer thirst! 'Don't recall anyone being pulled over ... I think the cops were all wisely away at Bairs Truck Stop having coffee and pastries.
If you recall Mannies' Diner near the Barmuda Triangle, then you know the era!

It’s not just Bozeman, the changing culture is everywhere, and it’s easy to become bitter about it
Worse than Bozeman, actually way worse, is Big Sky. What a blight on Montana. The area used to be a pristine wilderness and back in the 1930’s the only thing up there was the B-K guest ranch.

My father was foreman on the ranch until he was drafted into the army in 1942. He told me he could ride a horse 2 days in the Yellow Mules and never see another set of human tracks.

Now it is a continual line of trucks and workers to race up the canyon to work at the Yellowstone Club…

IMG_7779.jpeg

My kids are taking me fishing tomorrow. But, I will make time to crack a beer, a crappy Bozeman MT IPA.

Another sub par day in the hood. Fish were biting too aggressively, no time to crack a beer. It was a rough deal, but made it work.View attachment 338515View attachment 338516View attachment 338517
I had a rough afternoon as well. Left work at 2pm, home by dark with plenty of time for beer. Got a couple more trail cameras up.
Hate it here.

IMG_2816.jpeg

My take away, a hated phrase from my working days, is that to live in Bozeman, it is best to be lubricated with enough beer to make it pleasant. No wonder they have so many micro breweries.

I really enjoyed living in Bozeman (2000-2006), but I could not stand many of the people that I met.

Drove through the area today with the family and stopped for lunch. I think my statement is even more true today.😂

Fishing blows in this region. I can see town and have service. Caught over 50 cutts this AM. Walking over the hill to another shitty Bozeman lake today. So bad around here, terrible. Did pack some ice cold beer along.

Wish I was at Yellowtail or maybe flathead lake.
IMG_8569.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd agree with you guys about Big Sky being a blight if I weren't so hopelessly addicted to skiing the steeps off Lone Peak. It's kind of my reason for living.

Climbed Ramshorn Peak a couple weeks ago just north of the park and saw black bears, mountain goats, and then the craziest thing happened, as we were watching six bighorn sheep in the basin below us just a few hundred yards from the peak, four wolves came over the ridge behind them and gave chase. Two light gray and two black wolves. The sheep made a break for it and scattered into the cliffs, all except for one that got off track and tried to traverse apart from the others...the wolves followed that one until they were all out of sight. Pretty damn cool and unusual to see wolves in the alpine like that. It all happened close enough to Bozeman to give the town some credit for its undeniably prime location.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back