Kenetrek Boots

Bozeman: is it really that bad anymore?

We went to big sky late last summer with family and ate at a restaurant. Can’t remember the name. A band showed up as we were about to leave and the place was flooded with college kids probably from Bozeman. Not a bad place to be a young guy from what I saw.

Elky there’s a pretty good chance you’re over hyper analyzing the thread, but based on your profession I can understand why. If I may, let look at the contributions to the thread. Starting with my own. I was sitting on a bench on Main Street in Bozeman eating ice cream with my kid looking at my wife LuLu lemons when it dawned on me the magnitude of the Jean to yoga pant ratio of Bozeman as well as the % of blondes. I brought his up to my wife and we conducted a composite study of an hour to really get some data on the matter. You seem like a numbers guy so I thought you would like to know that the % break down of yoga pants to other lower extremity covers. These number are approximate mind you of about an hour of observation, of which I was a bit shocked at our findings. Less than 50% were actually yoga pants! Closer 35% which at first glance seemed to be a clear victor BUT! a rather high percentage, close to 25% were Jean cut offs with varying amount of cheek exposure. Summer dress and skirts we lumped into one category which was surprisingly low, less than 15%. Blue jeans included waist high, tattered, rhinestone etc which made up another 15% or so. The remainder for simplicity was labeled under other. Anyway I forgot where I was going with that.

But let’s look at other municipalities of the treasure state.

Take billings for example. I enjoyed my limited time there along the river, the indoor water park, rib and chop house, the pot shop I went to and the sand rim rock areas very close to town was actually pretty neat. The view of the far far far off mountains were good. I’m only going to focus on the positive cause that’s my limited experience other than a weird Burger King there.

Great falls- I was surprised by this gem. I happen to find the river front pretty cool when you look past the heroine attics shooting up. The mesas outside of town are neat! We staid at a holiday inn so it was all good there but I could see how nice it is to have an option to drive several hours out of town to get to the mountains. Good access obviously to excellent fisheries.

Helena- you know not to bad of views looking out across the sprawl there. The proximity to big water IS undeniably a plus. The street layout seems wacky to me but the hole in the wall feel was comforting to a trailer park boy like myself. Another one of those pretty close to where you would like to be but gotta drive to those spots. Limited ski hill.

Kalispell- pretty much like Bozeman if you ask me except slightly trying to catch up. Great views of the mountains, close proximity to big water and mountains and skiing. Public parks were nice but not Bozeman nice. Glacier NP! Big plus there.

Missoula- meh I’m not going to say to much. Very big city like with many good food place, the river through town, the carousel, lower elevation also a collage town which I nice for those sort of things it attracts and/or not. Lots of nice places outside of town close by. Meager ski hill.

Pretty much that’s my review of places with a Costco in Montana

Other than yoga butts I think @psinclair has provided the thread with the best perspective. Despite the sprawl, that picture sums up my opinion on the area.

Thinking of moving to MT? Bozeman's gotcha covered!

Zootown is bulging outward with hemorrhaging effect into Snake/Lolo/East Mo/FTown.
Bozeman has ample space to spread w/adequate commercial/industrial zoning that supports business expansion.

Besides, the snow bulls n bunnies side of winter wonderlands; Zootown's Snow Bowl is full of local snobs and chit size compared to the awesomeness of Big Sky!
Big Mountain? Bunch of $$$ thumpers who own the slopes.

Anyone excited over t.v. Yellowstone, it's best to gain the full thrill of calling y'erself a Montanan in Bozeman! Surrounded by great bulls as shared by Kurt, business that pays to play, and an enjoyable life in a well designed and florishing city!

Big Sky is full of friendly ski goers! It's a kumbaya on an amazing level!

Just removed approx 4 pages worth of derailment posts and measuring contests.
Trying to keep the thread open for you verse deleting it all together.

If some of you want to continue your talk about who is better than who, I can make you a power point on how to use the PM function.

Bozeman has ample space to spread w/adequate commercial/industrial zoning that supports business expansion.
All fine and dandy, except for water. They get tired of Helena talking about lake access so they want to take ours away!

Elky there’s a pretty good chance you’re over hyper analyzing the thread, but based on your profession I can understand why. If I may, let look at the contributions to the thread. Starting with my own. I was sitting on a bench on Main Street in Bozeman eating ice cream with my kid looking at my wife LuLu lemons when it dawned on me the magnitude of the Jean to yoga pant ratio of Bozeman as well as the % of blondes. I brought his up to my wife and we conducted a composite study of an hour to really get some data on the matter. You seem like a numbers guy so I thought you would like to know that the % break down of yoga pants to other lower extremity covers. These number are approximate mind you of about an hour of observation, of which I was a bit shocked at our findings. Less than 50% were actually yoga pants! Closer 35% which at first glance seemed to be a clear victor BUT! a rather high percentage, close to 25% were Jean cut offs with varying amount of cheek exposure. Summer dress and skirts we lumped into one category which was surprisingly low, less than 15%. Blue jeans included waist high, tattered, rhinestone etc which made up another 15% or so. The remainder for simplicity was labeled under other. Anyway I forgot where I was going with that.

But let’s look at other municipalities of the treasure state.

Take billings for example. I enjoyed my limited time there along the river, the indoor water park, rib and chop house, the pot shop I went to and the sand rim rock areas very close to town was actually pretty neat. The view of the far far far off mountains were good. I’m only going to focus on the positive cause that’s my limited experience other than a weird Burger King there.

Great falls- I was surprised by this gem. I happen to find the river front pretty cool when you look past the heroine attics shooting up. The mesas outside of town are neat! We staid at a holiday inn so it was all good there but I could see how nice it is to have an option to drive several hours out of town to get to the mountains. Good access obviously to excellent fisheries.

Helena- you know not to bad of views looking out across the sprawl there. The proximity to big water IS undeniably a plus. The street layout seems wacky to me but the hole in the wall feel was comforting to a trailer park boy like myself. Another one of those pretty close to where you would like to be but gotta drive to those spots. Limited ski hill.

Kalispell- pretty much like Bozeman if you ask me except slightly trying to catch up. Great views of the mountains, close proximity to big water and mountains and skiing. Public parks were nice but not Bozeman nice. Glacier NP! Big plus there.

Missoula- meh I’m not going to say to much. Very big city like with many good food place, the river through town, the carousel, lower elevation also a collage town which I nice for those sort of things it attracts and/or not. Lots of nice places outside of town close by. Meager ski hill.

Pretty much that’s my review of places with a Costco in Montana

Other than yoga butts I think @psinclair has provided the thread with the best perspective. Despite the sprawl, that picture sums up my opinion on the area.
Since the page has opened again I’ll close my part partially with what I pm’d you. I love Montana and all of the towns here, and can see the good and the bad in all of them. And because I love this place, I take no offense to critiques of where I live. I love that I come from 3 generations of Bozemanites and can claim I was born there, as much as I love everything about this State. I’m not alone in being sad about what Bozeman has become, but I’ll always see the good in it as well. Since my grandpa passed this past year, my ties to the town are growing smaller, but I’ll always be proud of it. Your list is missing some pretty fantastic breweries in Helena and Billings though :)

And my apologies to all who had to suffer a legacy member who uses put down humor and bullying versus someone who sometimes takes things too seriously. That approach to humor and conversation just isn't for me. I’ve discovered the “ignore” feature, which certainly makes this a better space. I don’t have much patience for bullies, but I’ll work to do better at taking it off thread.

@Lostinthewoods thank you for taking action and moderating.

Last edited:
Missoula is the place to be or as close as possible because the number of assholes...you know it increases the farther you get away from Missoula.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back