Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Be honest

The Olympics were supposed to be about the competition alone, the individual ability to succeed at a difficult endeavor.

Pro-ball players, skateboarders, snowboarders, etc - that tends to take a lot of the excitement out of those sports for me.
I felt that way when the ruling changed though it really is about the person and the country they represent - whether they compete professionally or not, it's still the person on the field, in the water, on snow, etc. That person has spent an aweful lot of time dedicated to his/her sport to become the skilled person representing America, etc.

I felt that way when the ruling changed though it really is about the person and the country they represent - whether they compete professionally or not, it's still the person on the field, in the water, on snow, etc. That person has spent an aweful lot of time dedicated to his/her sport to become the skilled person representing America, etc.

I can see that perspective.

I still believe that if that person is professionally employed for the sport, they have unfair advantages that the other athletes don't. I do think it also creates a barrier to entry for younger people/people not in the profession to grow and learn as well.

I want to see amatuers who are dedicating their life to the sport, to that level of excellency, and who aren't sponsored by a ton of companies.
So is it the sponsorship that turns an athlete into a pro instead of an amateur? mtmuley

but track is king.
I'm looking forward to what sha'carri richardson can do on the Olympic stage. Suspended from the 2020 Olympics due to a positive weed test she has an axe to grind. Another firecracker at only 5 foot 1 inches but wicked fast. How many more strides does she have to do compared to her competition that usually stands at 5 foot 8 inches or more?

todays qualifier:

So is it the sponsorship that turns an athlete into a pro instead of an amateur? mtmuley

No, but the financial incentive over-takes the purity of the sport. Going pro means you're at the apex, the pinnacle of your skill. You've hit a level above. The Olympics were never about professional athletes competing until the US brought in the Dream Team.

No, but the financial incentive over-takes the purity of the sport. Going pro means you're at the apex, the pinnacle of your skill. You've hit a level above. The Olympics were never about professional athletes competing until the US brought in the Dream Team.
Seems to me if an individual possesses the skill and talent to compete in the Olympics, they are a professional athlete. mtmuley

Seems to me if an individual possesses the skill and talent to compete in the Olympics, they are a professional athlete. mtmuley

Until the 1970's, the IOC made Olympics specifically for Amatuer Athletes. It relaxed it's rules in 77, then in 1988, it made all professional athletes eligible.

This is a bad decision.

Reactions: Hem
I like that they allow professional athletes now. The track and field, swimming, gymnastics, they're all pros now days. It allows them to train more so that we have the best competing against the best. Before they allowed pros it was just the big capitalist nations that only had armatures anyway. All the other countries Paid their athletes on way or another.

haven't watched a minute, but not because of some moral stance. We all know USA is number 1, China is a shady #2 (see what i did there). Olympics are a showcase of our best athletes, send the pros IMO. If you want amateurs, watch one of the off the wall sports they've recently added (like break dancing, 3on3 basketball, handball).

edit - i just turned it on and they're getting ready for kayaking... FFS

Last edited:
Dude. I was asking about Break Dancing. I'll check the other out. mtmuley
I have watched very little of Olympics as busy outdoors with family (and of course the ever present work).

There are always a few folks who take a performative dumbass absolutist stand to virtue signal their issue of the day. Got a neighbor who won’t watch nfl cuz one washed up player took a knee (which is particularly interesting since our ex-marine turned football coach made us all kneel out of respect during national anthem back in the 80’s). Now some won’t watch Olympics cuz - one boxer. Post-Jordan a bunch of folks won’t watch nba as it is “too black”; etc.

Lots of reasons not to watch this or that, but the made up pouts get old in a hurry.

I can’t remember where but I did read last night her test levels where either 10 or 20x of a normal woman and right in line with a normal male
Now I read it somewhere too. A lot of people spouting off about stuff that they don't know much about and not making much effort to actually know much about it. Not good for anyone except the Facebook rage machine.

The women's US rugby team comeback in the last second was electric. Men's volleyball being 2 matches up on Germany and then barely pulling out the win was wild too. Kevin Durant is an absolute machine in the olympics, which is pretty cool. I'll focus on cheering on Americans, and I love seeing them cheer each other on too. Lebron cheering on the US women's beach volleyball team was cool to see.

Now I read it somewhere too. A lot of people spouting off about stuff that they don't know much about and not making much effort to actually know much about it. Not good for anyone except the Facebook rage machine.

The women's US rugby team comeback in the last second was electric. Men's volleyball being 2 matches up on Germany and then barely pulling out the win was wild too. Kevin Durant is an absolute machine in the olympics, which is pretty cool. I'll focus on cheering on Americans, and I love seeing them cheer each other on too. Lebron cheering on the US women's beach volleyball team was cool to see.
And heard S. Biles comeback in all around was stone cold clutch.

I have watched very little of Olympics as busy outdoors with family (and of course the ever present work).

There are always a few folks who take a performative dumbass absolutist stand to virtue signal their issue of the day. Got a neighbor who won’t watch nfl cuz one washed up player took a knee (which is particularly interesting since our ex-marine turned football coach made us all kneel out of respect during national anthem back in the 80’s). Now some won’t watch Olympics cuz - one boxer. Post-Jordan a bunch of folks won’t watch nba as it is “too black”; etc.

Lots of reasons not to watch this or that, but the made up pouts get old in a hurry.

Bro is just pissed he can't dance like he used too.

Dude used to be the biggest swinging Johnson in the 'Root in his parachute pants & cut off coca-cola sweatshirt. He was as bad as B.A. Barakus. As smooth as Face, and as cunning as Hannibal. His Criss-Cross & Webo brought all the Missoula girls down to the Hayloft. His propeller kick & bretzelbackswipe made them stay.

Just a simple reminder of the day 👀

--> Post something that contributes to the topic at hand. If not, don't post. It's that simple.

--> Treat every person with respect, the same as if you were sitting in the same room with them.

--> This is a forum to share information. Sharing means that we have people who are wanting your knowledge and experience, and at times, your opinions. Share it in a manner that is respectful and helpful.

--> When a thread is started, stay on the topic of that thread. Do not hijack threads with issues unrelated to the original post.

I have not and won't watch 1 second of the Olympics. I quit when they started to allow professional athletes compete.
I have a different take on Olympic “purity”.

Back in the first 50 years of the Olympics, there was a clearly articulated strategy that “amateur only” preserved the games for the landed aristocracy of Europe and the self anointed economic elite in the US and their Ivy League kids. Banning professionals kept out anyone who had to work to pay their bills (which also help with racial “discomfort”). During the Cold War high-water days of Olympic spirit this history got washed over and we embraced the narrative of the moral high ground held by an American shot putter who worked the night shift at a gas station to pay the bills so he could compete against the well off upper crust Europeans and the absolutely full time professionals of the East Block. Completely ridiculous with hindsight.

Olympics should reject this old world silly upper crust snobbery and keep the best athletes on the planet in the games.

I dunno, I wanna watch the best of the best when I watch sports. Olympics are (or should be) the best of the best. So whether pro or not, sponsored or not, or only brought to the Olympics with Flavor Flavs wallet, I just wanna watch the best of the best. Amateurs aren’t the best of the best.

why i'll never give two craps about college football ;)

just my opinion

Bro is just pissed he can't dance like he used too.

Dude used to be the biggest swinging Johnson in the 'Root in his parachute pants & cut off coca-cola sweatshirt. He was as bad as B.A. Barakus. As smooth as Face, and as cunning as Hannibal. His Criss-Cross & Webo brought all the Missoula girls down to the Hayloft. His propeller kick & bretzelbackswipe made them stay.
This has to be Artificial Snoop generated...

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meatball
Back