Be honest

I get not liking pros participating in the Olympics, it has certainly tainted basketball.

However, it has increased parity overall in my opinion- especially so for niche sports like distance running. Allowing runners from Kenya, Ethiopia etc to earn a pro living from a shoe contract/Diamond League events enables them to afford pro training and pro nutrition.

Like @TOGIE said- I just want to see the best in the world compete. I try to simplify it, because if you go looking for something to be offended about it’s usually a bit too easy to find these days.

Olympic hockey with the pros is the only way to watch the best take on the best, whenever they aren’t there it’s a detriment to the sport. I am all for professional athletes compete at the Olympics. Just cause they’re paid doesn’t make them any less the best.

No, but the financial incentive over-takes the purity of the sport. Going pro means you're at the apex, the pinnacle of your skill. You've hit a level above. The Olympics were never about professional athletes competing until the US brought in the Dream Team.
History check calling Mr Lamb. Half of the athletes 1948-1992 were full time employed athletes for pay and another 20+% were trust fund babies/aristocracy playing obscure sports still promoted by Ivy leagues. The part time plumber wining cycling gold was a small part of the competition.

Grant Fischer just now. If you’ve ever ran a 10K and didn’t get goosebumps the last 100 meters of that race….

Bronze. All medals are not created equal. That was unbelievable.

unbelievable and historical. the praise from the ugandan says it all.

unbelievable and historical.

I know!

Only one other time in my life comes to mind where I yelled at the TV (outside of Packers season, where it happens every 5 minutes pretty much every game)- the men’s 4x100 free relay a few Olympics ago when the US came back to win.

I was standing and shouting down the home stretch. Good for him, way to dig deep- 10K is brutal.

Olympics are special for these moments. I just try to ignore the other garbage.

I get not liking pros participating in the Olympics, it has certainly tainted basketball.

However, it has increased parity overall in my opinion- especially so for niche sports like distance running. Allowing runners from Kenya, Ethiopia etc to earn a pro living from a shoe contract/Diamond League events enables them to afford pro training and pro nutrition.

Like @TOGIE said- I just want to see the best in the world compete. I try to simplify it, because if you go looking for something to be offended about it’s usually a bit too easy to find these days.
I get it totally, I had to park in an alternate parking across the street from the mall the other day and it was 90 degrees . . totally get it . . . 😰

I was just remembering I was at the grand opening of our first Mall in Missoula, Montana. It was 1978 or 1979. Some Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders were there. I was 12 or 13 years old. But, I was there. mtmuley
Hanging at the mall replaced “cruising Main”. Saved gas money that was better spent on beer.

Olympic's politically thrilling, most epic "tear down this wall" event - on ice!
"Do you believe in miracles????" - Al Michaels.

My coworkers and I had a heated debate about this over lunch...does the US absolutely dominate in rugby if we put Tyreek Hill, Christian McCafferey, Derek Henry, and a few other NFL stars on one team? IMO, they would run past most the competition like they were standing still. I'm not trying to disrespect the sport of Rugby, it's obviously not a sport for the faint of heart. I just have a hard time getting into it when I don't think it's nearly our best display of talent.

I was definitely in the minority amongst my coworkers. Keep in mind I was debating it with a handful of nerd engineers that probably got their last elevated heartrate from a good session of D&D.

I'm excited for track and field. I missed the breakdancing; I'll have to catch the highlights on that one.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meatball
Back