Be honest

My coworkers and I had a heated debate about this over lunch...does the US absolutely dominate in rugby if we put Tyreek Hill, Christian McCafferey, Derek Henry, and a few other NFL stars on one team? IMO, they would run past most the competition like they were standing still. I'm not trying to disrespect the sport of Rugby, it's obviously not a sport for the faint of heart. I just have a hard time getting into it when I don't think it's nearly our best display of talent.

I was definitely in the minority amongst my coworkers. Keep in mind I was debating it with a handful of nerd engineers that probably got their last elevated heartrate from a good session of D&D.

I'm excited for track and field. I missed the breakdancing; I'll have to catch the highlights on that one.
Interesting question. I played high school football and college rugby. Both fun. There are some fast dudes in rugby too so not sure how big an outlier mccaeffery or hill would be. But they would be fun to watch - but no reason to be sure they would walk away with it. Of course any athlete has a lot to learn when switching sports. Remember when Herschel assumed his strength and speed would vault US bobsledding - a lot of nuance between sports. Great athletes can be good at most things, but very few are great across multiple disciplines. That why I have always been fascinated with the decathlon.

Interesting question. I played high school football and college rugby. Both fun. There are some fast dudes in rugby too so not sure how big an outlier mccaeffery or hill would be. But they would be fun to watch - but no reason to be sure they would walk away with it. Of course any athlete has a lot to learn when switching sports. Remember when Herschel assumed his strength and speed would vault US bobsledding - a lot of nuance between sports. Great athletes can be good at most things, but very few are great across multiple disciplines. That why I have always been fascinated with the decathlon.

One of my wife's college (St Cloud State MN) basketball teammates made it to the 2016 Olympics in heptathlon. Did both basketball and track in college and had one DII track title. Trained for the Olympics while working as a part-time RN so had the fun amateur aspect as well.

So is it the sponsorship that turns an athlete into a pro instead of an amateur? mtmuley
I'm gonna get fried for this one, but here it goes.......

It's an interesting question. You could take it a step further and ask why not use performance enhancing drugs. I feel that at the professional level they should be allowed to do whatever it takes to get to peak performance. It would truly uncomplicate things in a way. Also, get rid of men's and women's divisions. Put your best athlete forward, period.

It would make things much simpler and possibly less political and contreversial. Anything goes, as long as it is confined to the rules of the game.

Some of this is already happening. Allowing it would just level the playing field for those willing to suffer the long term potential consequences.

Watching the replay of women’s discus, waiting for the men’s in a few days.

I competed against an Olympian in high school for discus, I didn’t see him qualify for US though.

I'm gonna get fried for this one, but here it goes.......

It's an interesting question. You could take it a step further and ask why not use performance enhancing drugs. I feel that at the professional level they should be allowed to do whatever it takes to get to peak performance. It would truly uncomplicate things in a way. Also, get rid of men's and women's divisions. Put your best athlete forward, period.

It would make things much simpler and possibly less political and contreversial. Anything goes, as long as it is confined to the rules of the game.

Some of this is already happening. Allowing it would just level the playing field for those willing to suffer the long term potential consequences.

My coworkers and I had a heated debate about this over lunch...does the US absolutely dominate in rugby if we put Tyreek Hill, Christian McCafferey, Derek Henry, and a few other NFL stars on one team? IMO, they would run past most the competition like they were standing still. I'm not trying to disrespect the sport of Rugby, it's obviously not a sport for the faint of heart. I just have a hard time getting into it when I don't think it's nearly our best display of talent.

I was definitely in the minority amongst my coworkers. Keep in mind I was debating it with a handful of nerd engineers that probably got their last elevated heartrate from a good session of D&D.

I'm excited for track and field. I missed the breakdancing; I'll have to catch the highlights on that one.
Maybe until they realized it hurts a lot more to get hit without the protective gear they are used to in the NFL. I bet that would slow them down a bit.

Maybe until they realized it hurts a lot more to get hit without the protective gear they are used to in the NFL. I bet that would slow them down a bit.
Watch an NFL game and pay attention to the trenches. Guys beating each other only inches apart. Rugby looks tough, but the speed, size and athleticism of NFL players is beyond anything rugby players have. Equipment or not. mtmuley

My friends wife posted this. Poor guy.

Thought id change up the ice cream posts 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1722647880766.jpg
    FB_IMG_1722647880766.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 51
Watch an NFL game and pay attention to the trenches. Guys beating each other only inches apart. Rugby looks tough, but the speed, size and athleticism of NFL players is beyond anything rugby players have. Equipment or not. mtmuley
My point is, they wouldn’t be able to go as hard without the equipment. The body simply can’t take it. And that would change things entirely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dulcedom
Back