Caribou Gear

Be honest

How about we talk about some of those plays in women's rugby?! FYI one of the US team (unfortunately didn't get to play) is from Whitefish, MT. Solid stiffarms by many. Ilona Maher trucked down the field like the other players were standing still. Rugby is a sleeper sport for us in the US. It's what football wishes it was

l didn't realize you thought I was a comedian, but yeah, I would rather watch amateurs. Real ones. But that's not happening in the Olympics ever again.

No, college football/basketball players are not amateurs. Not even kinda sorta maybe. Pretty much sucks but college sports are dead to me. If you want to suck into it, go ahead.
So where do we get the amateurs? Like I said, when an athlete ascends to be one of the best in the world, they are a professional at that point. Collegiate career or not. mtmuley

So where do we get the amateurs? Like I said, when an athlete ascends to be one of the best in the world, they are a professional at that point. Collegiate career or not. mtmuley
You end up with a boring and forgettable event where everyone knows the best aren’t there. A different flavor of the low-interest U23 men’s soccer event at this years Olympics.

Until the 1970's, the IOC made Olympics specifically for Amatuer Athletes. It relaxed it's rules in 77, then in 1988, it made all professional athletes eligible.

This is a bad decision.
Comrade Putin agrees...;)

At least it takes away the issues of some country's supporting their athletes with resources that essentially had them being professionals, going up against amateurs from countries whose professional leagues would clean up in the olympics.

Best thing is the support for all athletes--including women--has been improved. Not getting rich but not having to live poor if you aren't in a major sport anymore--in our country at least.

It would become nothing more than a “who can game the amateur classification best” competition. A snoozer like when NHL mostly kept their players out but worse.

Brent, where do the players come from if not from the semi professional and professional teams? mtmuley

Brent, where do the players come from if not from the semi professional and professional teams? mtmuley
Amateur organizations. The AAU was such place, and I swam AAU League meets as a kid.

Do you know that the founding mission of the NRA was to foster international competition of this sort? We will celebrate the 150th anniversary of inaugural match this October in Oak Ridge Tennessee. Of course, the NRA abandonded their charter in very embarassing fashion yeats ago.

I competed AAU myself. When an athlete is skilled enough to compete in Olympic competition they are a professional. mtmuley

I competed AAU myself. When an athlete is skilled enough to compete in Olympic competition they are a professional. mtmuley

There is a long history of the Olympics to prove that is simply not true. Just not, but feel free to believe. In any event, I don't need to see even more of the pros than I already see. It has become a joke.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dulcedom
Back