Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Be honest

No, but the financial incentive over-takes the purity of the sport. Going pro means you're at the apex, the pinnacle of your skill. You've hit a level above. The Olympics were never about professional athletes competing until the US brought in the Dream Team.
So it's not about who's the best at something, but who's the best while selfishly ignoring their family to pursue their own aspirations? Got it

Long before the US had professional athletes competing you had State sponsored programs not just paying people to train and compete and calling it waiting tables, but drugging with them too.

Last edited:
I'm gonna get fried for this one, but here it goes.......

It's an interesting question. You could take it a step further and ask why not use performance enhancing drugs. I feel that at the professional level they should be allowed to do whatever it takes to get to peak performance. It would truly uncomplicate things in a way. Also, get rid of men's and women's divisions. Put your best athlete forward, period.

It would make things much simpler and possibly less political and contreversial. Anything goes, as long as it is confined to the rules of the game.

Some of this is already happening. Allowing it would just level the playing field for those willing to suffer the long term potential consequences.

No, but the financial incentive over-takes the purity of the sport. Going pro means you're at the apex, the pinnacle of your skill. You've hit a level above. The Olympics were never about professional athletes competing until the US brought in the Dream Team.
It means we have to see the same players at tennis, golf, basketball, etc that we can see every single weekend of the year. Nadal plays Djokovic. Again. Who cares? Not me. Summer Olympics lost me about 1972. Winter Olympics are a touch more interesting so long as we stay away from ice skating and a few other things.

First time in my life I had even heard of the Queens was seeing them live (opening for RHCP). They were awesome!

This lady beat khelif in the ring. I’m still on the fence just because a solid punch got landed doesn’t mean she needs thrown out.

Attachments

• IMG_2741.png
    IMG_2741.png
    251.2 KB · Views: 32
I hate that it came at the US’s expense, but Femke Bol’s closing speed in the 4x400 mixed relay was insane.

Hope Sydney McLaughlin is in top shape, she’s going to need it in the 400 hurdles after seeing that.

US men absolutely crapping the bed in the pool, ZERO golds so far. Hope the track team can stack some gold, hasn’t been a great Team USA Olympics thus far.

Reactions: JCS
The anti professional athlete takes are funny.. “I want to see the best of the athletes who aren’t good enough to make a living off it”.. are college athletes making millions on NIL deals amateurs or do we need to keep it to high school kids?

The anti professional athlete takes are funny.. “I want to see the best of the athletes who aren’t good enough to make a living off it”.. are college athletes making millions on NIL deals amateurs or do we need to keep it to high school kids?
Top seniors getting support from boosters too. So, middle school?

l didn't realize you thought I was a comedian, but yeah, I would rather watch amateurs. Real ones. But that's not happening in the Olympics ever again.

No, college football/basketball players are not amateurs. Not even kinda sorta maybe. Pretty much sucks but college sports are dead to me. If you want to suck into it, go ahead.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meatball
Back