Caribou Gear Tarp

Anybody Buying Yet? Where’s the Bottom?

We are completely conditioned to rate and rationalize policy by which party is pushing it.

How do we even begin to separate politics from the market?
Because the market doesn't care. It may care about a specific policy decision, but let's be honest, election-year politics hasn't been about policy for decades. The market certainly doesn't care about who the Sec of State is. It barely cares about who the President is. It might care a little more about the balance of power across the various branches, but that won't matter much until the middle of Nov.

SNOW is my AI play that is my most hopeful- but currently my bigs lagger. Got lucky out of the gate and took profits but got back in at the wrong time. Anyone else watching it?

Because the market doesn't care

Interesting method of titling the article though good read otherwise. Maybe bad read for others... Nature of internet forums.

I generally agree, but not sure what you mean by "tilting". It didn't seem to have a bias. The market right now is watching polls on Congress and President races. What matters to Wall Street is taxes.

Of course this was with your error reading believing the word used was, "tilting" vs the actual word in the post, "titling". I had to look at my word again to make sure I didn't mistype. (Which I did not). :ROFLMAO:

The market does care. Boils down to the common. O&G is Red, Green is Blue, Tarriffs (Trump) Red, Biden restrictions on domestic mining, etc Blue... Politics and Market go hand in hand, IMO. China vs US economic war... prime example.

@BigHornRam brought up the prime issues involved with market activity, as noted in the article:
  • Typically, Congress and the Federal Reserve can play a bigger role in directly shaping markets, compared to the president.
  • Fiscal spending legislation passed by Congress can influence market sentiment.
  • The independent Federal Reserve can have a significant impact by raising (bearish) or lowering (bullish) interest rates.
  • Bullish stock market sentiment can improve a president's popularity, while a bearish stock market outlook can undermine a president's standing.

Last edited:
Because the market doesn't care. It may care about a specific policy decision, but let's be honest, election-year politics hasn't been about policy for decades. The market certainly doesn't care about who the Sec of State is. It barely cares about who the President is. It might care a little more about the balance of power across the various branches, but that won't matter much until the middle of Nov.
The market will drop like a rock if China invades Taiwan. I have no confidence in the Washington clown show right now.

Of course this was with your error reading believing the word used was, "tilting" vs the actual word in the post, "titling". I had to look at my word again to make sure I didn't mistype. (Which I did not). :ROFLMAO:

The market does care. Boils down to the common. O&G is Red, Green is Blue, Tarriffs (Trump) Red, Biden restrictions on domestic mining, etc Blue... Politics and Market go hand in hand, IMO. China vs US economic war... prime example.

@BigHornRam brought up the prime issues involved with market activity, as noted in the article:
But what it cares about are the impact on the ability to make money. Not red or blue. Red or blue policies can affect that. Now the market does speculate on impacts that later aren't real, but again it's the impact on making money that is the issue.

I think some are thinking "the market" includes shorting and other strategies that bet on losing money. That's not a market reaction.

I think some are thinking "the market" includes shorting and other strategies that bet on losing money. That's not a market reaction.
  • Typically, Congress and the Federal Reserve can play a bigger role in directly shaping markets, compared to the president.
  • Fiscal spending legislation passed by Congress can influence market sentiment.
  • The independent Federal Reserve can have a significant impact by raising (bearish) or lowering (bullish) interest rates.
  • Bullish stock market sentiment can improve a president's popularity, while a bearish stock market outlook can undermine a president's standing.
We can go back and forth though IMO, the matter is clear. A president that decides to hammer another country's import opportunities - i.e. economic war (as with China) can change on a dime if the President opts to manae his/her intent to conduct such a war.

Going to the point that SAJ called for BHR to take a hike is brazen considering the opinions I've read of yours and others. Especially considering Yellen, etc. They are a directly involved in Market activity.

Then congress entrenched Red vs Blue... whole 'nother can of worms..

The market will drop like a rock if China invades Taiwan. I have no confidence in the Washington clown show right now.
You are pointing out the obvious. China will do whatever it does regardless of the November results. The best thing we can do is have strong alliances with other countries.

Going to the point that SAJ called for BHR to take a hike is brazen considering the opinions I've read of yours and others. Especially considering Yellen, etc. They are a directly involved in Market activity.

If a person invested their retirement with the some of the views BHR has, they will end up broke. Never invest based on politics. My "take a hike" should be viewed as literal, as in get away from the computer for a while. The algos this time of year are feeding him fear and loathing stories.

To your point on Yellen et al affecting markets. I would need direct examples. She can chose the duration on bonds the US Treasury sells, so that I will give you, but a bit of a stretch. Congress hasn't passed a budget on time since I can't even remember when and we still don't have a budget from the House. Despite the dysfunction, somehow the country continues to operate and the market continues to roll on regardless of R or D. I would suspect that Congress might want to look at the ability of POTUS to unilaterally implement Tariffs because both guys seem to love them and they cost the US citizen more in the end. But no one asked.

The stock market only cares where the money is flowing too. Money leaving the market or entering the market

Nevertheless, a subscription to Paul Pelosi's exclusive newsletter would be advantageous....
Saw Josh Hawley ranting about this today. I never thought I would agree with Josh Hawley on anything, so I am comforted there are still things we can agree on. Of course it will never get done.

The good news is that you don't need to subscribe. There is website that tracks it all. Pelosi gets all the headlines, but there are a lot of crazy stuff in the data.

Saw Josh Hawley ranting about this today. I never thought I would agree with Josh Hawley on anything, so I am comforted there are still things we can agree on. Of course it will never get done.

The good news is that you don't need to subscribe. There is website that tracks it all. Pelosi gets all the headlines, but there are a lot of crazy stuff in the data.

Correct, nada will transpire, but it's a great opportunity for catchy acronym coinage.

How do we even begin to separate politics from the market?
In the overall big picture, politics and the market have very little to do with each other. Tax policy would be one exception. All the day to day BS are complete nothing burgers though.

How about the federal reserve? It's all about political spin . This CNN piece cracks me up!

Come on Powell. Throw us a bone, please.

Remember inflation is transitory? View attachment 332391
For the last two days I watched Powell testify to Congress. There is more BS grandstanding from both sides every time I watch. My conclusion was I could never do that job because I would be a little too honest. Too many of our elected officials know nothing about the subjects they ask about. If you are giving testimony, be it Powell or Yellen, the market is parsing every word for some signal as to what comes next and when. You say the wrong thing and the market implodes and you could spend the next two weeks back tracking and trying to explain what you meant.

That said, if there was a game for drinking every time someone asked about Basel III, I would be dead from alcohol poisoning. I would be passed out if I drank every time they mispronounced it basil. The EPA chair’s testimony was much more entertaining. He only has a little more patience for grandstanding than I do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back