Advertisement

4 year olds with guns

Only 17 replies, small sample, very small. And its the fire.:rolleyes:

...if there aren't 9 pages of name calling and threats of whoop ass, it was obviously not started by one of the spit & whittle 40,000 post insiders over there.:cool:

..makes HT look like a Mensa Society tea party.:)

When I get bored sometimes I go search on that site for the most derogatory and hateful terms I can think of, it's really hard to pull up a 0 result search.

Spook, maybe I can add a little landowner experience. I allow kids accompanied by adults to hunt gophers here on the ranch at any time. It is a place where parents can mentor. They may hunt any non-game to gain experience. They should be accompanying parents on hunts to learn ALL the ropes before a firearm is put in their hands. On the flip side, if I allow legal kids to hunt pheasants here with their parents, the parents will hunt in competition with their kids every single time....the result is the parents limit out and kids get 0. I have a real weakness for a guy who drives in my yard with 2 kids and a dog to go hunting. I allow the kids to hunt but not the adult....result; the adult actually mentors the kids with "at the moment advice".
My experience tells me that parents are not all that good at helping during the hunt. My better half is a middle school counselor and collaborates with the local hunter safety instructors and all concur that while not all kids fit the mold, if you have to choose an age, 12 is it. There is both physical and mental readiness to consider. Hope that helps.

Pierre, you said ''If you have to choose an age,12 is it.'' I guess my only point is who should choose? Obviously as the host you have every right to decide who and how people enjoy your invitation.

It's very generous of you to open your place up to people, especially kids! The days of knocking on a door and getting access are passing quickly and as much as we would like to blame it all on outfitters,or land owners just hording game, the fact is in many instances we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Just thinking out loud but..............which came first.

People where unable to make a good decision so society felt the need to make as many as possible for us. Or society made so many decisions for us that we became unable to do it properly ourselves?
Because that is where this topic has taken us. Who is better equipped to make the decision for the child?

From the statements made on this subject it seems that I have put to much faith in my fellow man.

spook, I'll go ahead and say it, since I'm already disliked on here. Maybe it's just the fellow men of Montana who don't deserve the faith since it appears the state is full of poachers, degenerate lowlife parents, and non-native trouble making rabble rousers who only want to bring down the wildlife and laws of the state.

So what is in the final approved bill?
9 yr olds can legally hunt with 21 yr old mentor?
Do not have to take hunter safety?
Do they pay the same price for a tag as anybody else?
Does a 9 yr old NR pay the normal NR price?

Just asking in that there were a lot of different comments on the job site today?

The thing that scares the crap out of myself and the group I hunt with is that some parents should not be parents. I know this is a tough statement, but just how it is. Luckily some kids will be able to find a mentor to teach them that is as much about the hunt as it is about the shooting and not leaving game in the freezer until it is freezer burned.
End of rant.

The thing that scares the crap out of myself and the group I hunt with is that some parents should not be parents. I know this is a tough statement, but just how it is. Luckily some kids will be able to find a mentor to teach them that is as much about the hunt as it is about the shooting and not leaving game in the freezer until it is freezer burned.
End of rant.

I'm not in favor of this but am not going to jump up and down about it either, I was trying to find out what the final approved language on this bill was.

As far as your comment about some parents - yes, you are right but then lowering the hunting age by 3 years ain't going to effect the quality up/down of some parents one bit. Can't fix stupid.

No matter the ages, I still think they should be required to pass the hunters safety class first...........

Not gonna lie though, sure look forward to being able to take my oldest boy on a riverbottom doe hunt in a couple years:)

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whipple
Back