Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

4 year olds with guns

My guess is if this passes the early two day deer season will go away and some HD antler less elk opportunity.

What is the fiscal note on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Soooooo...no bowhunting? The bill specifies no A-2 bow license. Just wondering. mtmuley

I'll have to re-read the bill. A safety course for archery but not for firearms before hunting doesn't make a lot of sense. No matter the age. I also agree that mentored hunters should not have any antlerless elk opportuniteis or the early deer season. Glad to see limited entry stuff is not allowed. mtmuley

Sounds like from your last post that you're talking like a lot of the other guys on here that are more against the kids shooting animals that you might have a chance at, rather than the overall safety concerns that people should have to actually be against this Bill---just sayin, but those were your words!!!

TOPGUN, guess I missed the part where I am concerned over kids shooting animals I have a chance at. Just so happens Montana has some issues with it's game animals, and I don't think introducing more needless opportunity at this time is a wise idea. I also question the idea of a young kids need to kill just to become interested in hunting. At this point and time, I'm against the bill, and feel the special regulations on early hunts and antlerless opportunities should be for kids that go through our hunters safety program. I am dead set against "mentored" hunters having a chance at any LE opportunity, so in that case I guess you are right. I bet there isn't a lot of support from other guys like myself with decades of unsuccessful draws that will support that either. mtmuley

I don't bow hunt, but am I understanding correctly. Y'all have to have an archery safety class and an archery license to bow hunt???????? Does that mean you have to have a separate license for rifle, shotgun, and muzzle loader, also?????????

BTW, our Hunter Safety course includes archery.

Montana has separate education classes required before a person is allowed to archery hunt. Doen't matter if you've hunted with a firearm for 50 years, you still take the archery classes before being able to bowhunt. Separate licenses aren't required for individual types of firearms. mtmuley

mtmuley---You now have me confused in that last week you stated you were really excited that your daughter is going to get to hunt and you're working up loads for her in one or more rifles so she can go out and shoot some antlerless animals with you. Hypothetically, maybe she should wait and get a few more years under her belt so she won't possibly be taking any animals that might go to somebody older that's been paying their dues like you stated you have. I'm sure you've taught her well on her trips out in the field with you, but maybe she just wasn't ready at a little earlier age like some of the kids that mature quicker. I started carrying a loaded rifle for night coon hunting and a shotgun for duck hunting at 5 or 6 years old and feel I was safer than many adults I still see out and about that are not safe, yet should be just because theyr'e adults. I don't necessarily agree with giving the kids early or separate seasons because then you get into that "entitlement" mentality, but if a parent deems them ready at an earlier age than now is on the books and it's done properly I think taking them out in a general season would be fine. It sure seems like more guys are stating the only reason they're against the Bill is because of decreased opportunity for themselves and that seemed to start right with Ben in his opening couple posts. I hope if the Bill goes through that most people against it will see it isn't the big bad wolf so many are portraying it to be. I'll shut up now and we'll just agree to disagee on this one and I hope this Fall you and your daughter have some great times together as she takes her first big game with you by her side.

I'll have to re-read the bill. A safety course for archery but not for firearms before hunting doesn't make a lot of sense. No matter the age. I also agree that mentored hunters should not have any antlerless elk opportuniteis or the early deer season. Glad to see limited entry stuff is not allowed. mtmuley

Thats right, you heard it here. Over and over, in so many ways. To hell with the future of our sport, and opportunities for young people. Lets guarantee the adults aren't shorted an opportunity at an animal.

My daughters antlerless opportunities will be with permits issued in the regular draw, available to anyone that is allowed to apply. I'll say it again. Why does a kid have to kill earlier and earlier to stay interested in hunting? I'll say it again. A mentored hunter should not be allowed LE draws, or the same opportunities as kids that take hunter safety. Why is THAT a problem? mtmuley

I am in no way opposed to hunter recruitment like cur dog or whoever the Hell he is says. Just because a kids parents or "mentor" decides the time is right, doesn't mean they should fall right in to the special permits and conditions afforded to other hunters. I have kids. I'm not for ending our sport. You want to end the sport? Hammer the resources that are already depleted with increased opportunity. I do not see the negative impact on our youth that have to wait for hunter safety. mtmuley

I personally think the system we have in place is a good one. The only change I could see supporting is to allow youth to hunt earlier with a parent or mentor by their side at all times and using that adults tag.

As has been mentioned, the likely hood of abuse is HIGH! Who here doesn't know of at least one family that enters every person in their family over the age of 12 into the LE permit lottery. Regardless of whether they actually hunt or not.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Mtmuley---We're good and, as I stated, I agree with you that they should not get any diffferent treatment as far as special seasons, getting to shoot antlerless animals just because they're young kids, etc. Our only difference is that I'm thinking that getting them out at an earlier age to actually shoot might get them more interested and keep them that way than staying home playing video games because they would just be "tagging along". It does fly against the way I was brought up to just enjoy being out in the outdoors whether I am hunting or not, but there are so many things that these kids can get into nowadays that were'nt even in existence when I started that it makes me think it would help the kids and overall society. Take care!

My daughters antlerless opportunities will be with permits issued in the regular draw, available to anyone that is allowed to apply. I'll say it again. Why does a kid have to kill earlier and earlier to stay interested in hunting? I'll say it again. A mentored hunter should not be allowed LE draws, or the same opportunities as kids that take hunter safety. Why is THAT a problem? mtmuley

Sounds good to me, but it is up to your politicians.

I just got done talking with my nephew. He's 10 years old, and wants to go hunting in the worst way.

I told him that there's a bill going through the legislature in Montana that might allow him to go hunting now, and he wouldn't have to take hunters safety course.

He looked disappointed, and said that he wanted to take the class, and would be willing to wait till he was 12.

If he's good with it, they who am I to say different.

I just got done talking with my nephew. He's 10 years old, and wants to go hunting in the worst way.

I told him that there's a bill going through the legislature in Montana that might allow him to go hunting now, and he wouldn't have to take hunters safety course.

He looked disappointed, and said that he wanted to take the class, and would be willing to wait till he was 12.

If he's good with it, they who am I to say different.

Ben Lamb help you word the discussion?:)

SITKA Gear Optifade Cover

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whipple
Back