Wyoming unit 100

thanks guys. Definitely will bring a pole or two to do some fishing
Also might bring the calls and the 6x45 and see if I can call some coyotes up. What grouse would be in season? I’ve never shot a grouse. I’ve seen some sage grouse antelope hunting but I think the season will be closed on them
Sage grouse season is normally pretty short...a few days or so in September. Blue grouse will be open. Not sure if there are any in 100, but head north to the southern winds and I bet you find some.

Couple more questions
Is there any place around Farson to get water? Like 50 gallons to fill a storage tank in the trailer?

Also how are the roads when dry in the unit?
Trying to decide between taking my F250 at 11mpg or the explorer getting 22mpg? I won’t be really hauling anything as it will be in the camper.

Last edited:
Couple more questions
Is there any place around Farson to get water? Like 50 gallons to fill a storage tank in the trailer?

Trying to decide between taking my F250 at 11mpg or the explorer getting 22mpg? I won’t be really hauling anything as it will be 8n the camper.
Last year we filled up water tanks from a hose at the park if Farson behind the store. We used it strictly for washing up etc., so I do not know if it’s good for drinking.

Last year we filled up water tanks from a hose at the park if Farson behind the store. We used it strictly for washing up etc., so I do not know if it’s good for drinking.
Thank you. That is what we would be using it for also.

Couple more questions

Trying to decide between taking my F250 at 11mpg or the explorer getting 22mpg? I won’t be really hauling anything as it will be in the camper.
The roads were great when dry last year. Didn't even need 4WD on the main (dirt) roads in most areas but I did bail out when significant rain was in the forecast.

I had good shot opportunities on two 5x5 bulls and a really nice 6x6 but I had a type 2 tag. Needed 4 points or less on one side and I did not find one of those. One of the bulls was bedded down and I watched him for half an hour at 300 yards. The passenger side had 5 points and it looked like the the drivers side may have been four points and a legal bull for my tag. Just couldn't get a good look for quite a while. After quite some time, the fifth point was visible. No elk were killed in the making of my new memories.
Did you see / pass any spikes? The biologist said the type 2 tag use to be a spike only tag (now a 4 point or less on one side tag).

Did you see / pass any spikes? The biologist said the type 2 tag use to be a spike only tag (now a 4 point or less on one side tag).
In the past, the type 2 tag had also been 5 points or fewer on one side. That tag I could have filled easily. Spikes were fairly common and running with the cows. Whenever I was able to stalk close enough to a group to take a shot, the cows and spikes pulled together into a tight group milling around nervously. In my mind I said "damn, they balled up" because it was a big ball of elk that knew something was wrong but were not sure where I was. I would have liked to have taken a spike, but they stayed in a tight group with the cows and there was no way that I could take a shot at a spike without the real risk that I would also hit a cow. Never gonna take a shot like that.

Any recommendations on processors in the are? I always do my own but wouldn’t mind having a couple options just in case one of us tags out super early

Any recommendations on processors in the are? I always do my own but wouldn’t mind having a couple options just in case one of us tags out super early
Lander is not too far from most of 100. There is a processor in Lander, Shane Leshner who does a really good job. One animal at a time, no bull grind. Nothing to fancy just a straight cut. He trims it well. Wraps in plastic then vacuum seals. He has done a couple elk and deer for us and have not had one complaint. The others I know about in Fremont county, I would let it up a dog.

Also I live in Lander and will be in 25/27 hunting this fall. If you need anything f, water, a garage to fix a vehicle, you get stuck, ex. Look me up and I will do what I can to help. My cell is 970-629-8922.

Also I personally would focus on Oregon Buttes, Antelope Hills area own to Jack Morrow area. As such there is some really nice camping available just out of 100 around South Pass/Atlantic City just off the highway. Since it is on the highway and the county road into Oregon Buttes is nice, you would be like 10/15 minute drive from camp to hunt. But you would have trees, fire wood etc. also if you like fly fishing the Sweetwater is a great stream, but Green River is awesome and close!!!

Lander is not too far from most of 100. There is a processor in Lander, Shane Leshner who does a really good job. One animal at a time, no bull grind. Nothing to fancy just a straight cut. He trims it well. Wraps in plastic then vacuum seals. He has done a couple elk and deer for us and have not had one complaint. The others I know about in Fremont county, I would let it up a dog.

Also I live in Lander and will be in 25/27 hunting this fall. If you need anything f, water, a garage to fix a vehicle, you get stuck, ex. Look me up and I will do what I can to help. My cell is 970-629-8922.

Also I personally would focus on Oregon Buttes, Antelope Hills area own to Jack Morrow area. As such there is some really nice camping available just out of 100 around South Pass/Atlantic City just off the highway. Since it is on the highway and the county road into Oregon Buttes is nice, you would be like 10/15 minute drive from camp to hunt. But you would have trees, fire wood etc. also if you like fly fishing the Sweetwater is a great stream, but Green River is awesome and close!!!
Man thank you very much. I really appreciate it. Definitely will get in touch. And I will look up that processor and if you see a camp with a big white trailer with Missouri tags stop in

I’m going down towards wamsutter this weekend. Hopefully I’ll find the big ones

Is Shane's wife a biologist for WGFD by any chance? Might be a friend-of-a-friend connection...

Is Shane's wife a biologist for WGFD by any chance? Might be a friend-of-a-friend connection...
No not that I am aware of… he was an old oil and gas guy that when the work force last crashed started the cutting place as a side business and has since grown to what it is today. I really can’t say but I don’t think it is the same. There are a couple Leshner’s here his son does concrete and poured out back patio etc .

Yes it is in the area. Only just. Those are the wind rivers in the background. They are some miles away. That would be a different hunt area.

Yes it is in the area. Only just. Those are the wind rivers in the background. They are some miles away. That would be a different hunt area.
Ahhh yes. . I am used to the eastern half of 100 the winds are a lot further away. You must have been near oregon buttes

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back