Caribou Gear Tarp

Wyoming $75 NR application fee proposal and more...

Right, that works really well. I've told Magagna on multiple occasions, tell me who your landowner buddies are that are having the elk issues, I'll solve it. I have a list of NR friends and family that would drop everything to shoot a cow elk for them. I mean killers too, not some half-assed clown that is afraid to leave the seat of the truck, can't remember the last time they shot their rifles, etc.

Crickets...

I also agree that it is their land, but if they want something FROM me, then I want something from them. Nobody should get a free lunch, in particular when its alleged that both sides want the same outcome. Hunters want elk they don't want.
This story can be copy/pasted so many times it would get wore out.

A guy I know in casper works on a ranchers fleet west of there. He offered him his son and me to get cow tags to help cull the elk on their land.

“We don’t let anyone hunt”.

That was after the long complaint of how flattened the grass was from 100 head running through.

Granted, I wasn’t there for the convo and she doesn’t know me from Adam, but I’d be willing to take a half day off to go meet her and take a cow.

Good idea, if I the lobbyist would let me know who and hand over a few phone numbers...that would be helpful and not asking too much.

Is that particular lobbyist there to help you or someone else? Jim isn't going to give numbers up. I can't imagine a landowner giving him the freedom to do so either. The distrust between landowners and hunters who associate with advocacy groups is incredibly high, and if Jim called and said, "I've got the literal son of God here and he wants to hunt your place but heis with xyz group." Is that a selling point or a strike against?

Regardless, good luck making hay and getting this set right Buzz. Enjoy your 4th!

Also, I must add:

What a frustrating process trying to get answers to some of these issues. First time I've actually called to sort something out (what's the reasoning behind this? Did anyone think of this? When was this put to a vote? Where? What's the next step? etc. etc.) vs. voicing my opinion (I don't like this.). The run around is unreal. I certainly don't know any of the players I'm sure as well as Buzz does or some of these other guys, but it was eye opening how complicated some of these things are and to get contact info for the key players, get a call/email in, return calls, wrong numbers, "oh you should talk to so and so". Really not as simple as it is made out to sound. And the thing I called about was probably a nothing to most people, and that's OK, but it was a good dip my toes in kind of moment.

Also, I must add:

What a frustrating process trying to get answers to some of these issues. First time I've actually called to sort something out (what's the reasoning behind this? Did anyone think of this? When was this put to a vote? Where? What's the next step? etc. etc.) vs. voicing my opinion (I don't like this.). The run around is unreal. I certainly don't know any of the players I'm sure as well as Buzz does or some of these other guys, but it was eye opening how complicated some of these things are and to get contact info for the key players, get a call/email in, return calls, wrong numbers, "oh you should talk to so and so". Really not as simple as it is made out to sound. And the thing I called about was probably a nothing to most people, and that's OK, but it was a good dip my toes in kind of moment.
What’s worse is that some of these issues go unnoticed. If it weren’t for Buzz posting it on here, I’d never know about it. That’s on me as a resident, though.

@BuzzH is there anywhere else besides the Wyoming Game and fish website to submit your comments? I see the comment link on the game and fish webpage but am wondering if there is contact information directly to the commission to submit additional comments?

Politics rearing it's ugly head once again. The single most destructive wildlife related event I've ever seen was the Governor's Wildlife Task Force. In many ways it was the catalyst to this current issue with landowners, the elk they don't want on their property and how we can now ignore law and regulation to accomplish a goal. No doubt, ultimatums were delivered from the highest office in Cheyenne and given that office appoints both G&F Director and Commision, elk heads are now rolling. With the blood in the water, the stockgrowers have made their move and revenue consequences will be mind boggling.

I guess this means the WILDLIFE DAMAGE MANAGEMENT DONATIONS weren't cutting it for the ranchers. Ha!
I'm assuming that's where the donations went.

Archery stamp went over $70 a few years back for NR.

I'm surprised the Interstate Game Tag isn't up to $75 plus create a non-resident Conservation Stamp of $75.
Then just up the non-resident credit card fee to 10-15% and we should have this elk grass covered for Mr. Magagna.

Spending $150 to just APPLY for a chance at a random full price elk tag plus a reduced price cow/calf will be a nut kicker when it costs $30 now.

There are a lot more applicants than tags. Heck of a money play.
It sure is. Makes me appreciate the conservation heroes we grew up reading about who were champions of land preservation, habitat management, game herd restoration, reintroductions, etc. Something tells me our kids and grandkids are not going to feel the same about the special interests, elite rich guys, and corrupt politicians that undid much of it but sure made money hand over fist for a few beneficiaries while the mule deer, pronghorn, sage grouse, sage habitat, migration corridors, public land elk herds, neighborly behaviors, family traditions, and generally the NA model withered on their watch.

Kind of on the same page as a lot of folks here, if an app fee increase is being used to directly improve either access or habitat, I can live with that. But to make hunters pay more and then use that money to compensate landowners for damage caused by elk? Whatever batch of crack they're smoking must be good stuff. I'm no expert but I feel like maybe, just maybe we could come up with a simpler and more cost effective solution to help landowners with elk problems......🤔

I don't know, not many people are supporting it. I'm going to personally recommend 50/50 random/preference and keep the system the same.

There's a wild idea from Cyrus Western about adopting something like Idaho where you can only apply for one species a year. Thats going nowhere is my guess.

Quite frankly, I really don't give a FF anymore...let those that still have skin in the game fight it out. I'm over it.
If they're looking for more money, why don't they have a fee for leftover license applications?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boomer Benji
Back