Wool hunting clothing

I only wear a thin base layer pant if I’m going to be moving around. Wool base layers have never offered me any warmth, regardless, of the weight of it. I’ve had better luck with what little warmth it offers as a second layer. Synthetic is way warmer and dries way faster for me.
I’m in the Northeast.
To be honest the way the weather has been here in Central New York, In early season, you may find me wearing a pair of Kuiu Attack pants (with or without a pair of merino base layer), and a merino top, with or without a mid weight fleece top.
I wear this when the weather is warm, and it has been warm here the last five or so years to start the seasons recently.
We’ve gotten very little snow the lately, maybe one snow for the season. Two at best.
When it gets to 30 degrees, and lower I go to wool almost completely.
I probably still hunt most of my time hunting around here, but sometimes I’ll find a spot, and sit it depending on the sign, and situation. Moving through the woods, wool is so very quiet, and it has no “sheen” to it the way some synthetic materials do. It’s just more natural, and sometimes that’s the difference, at least that’s what I believe. Wool, when wet, does keep its insulated properties. I have never experienced that with synthetic. While it may (?) dry faster, when wet in synthetic, and it’s cold out, you are cold.
Late season, if I’m sitting in a stand, I’m wearing my wool still hunting clothes under my parka and bibs. That keeps me the warmest of all clothing systems that I’ve tried. (Sometimes I’m sitting on a field edge with the wind coming across the field, into my face, and it may be 20 down to zero degrees)
Bottom line, we are all different, and we all have what works for us. Hunting NY (Northeast) is definitely different than hunting Alabama or out west.
It’s taken me a few years to figure out what works for me, and I’ve tried to take what works for the “experts” and fit it into what I do.

I’m in the Northeast.
To be honest the way the weather has been here in Central New York, In early season, you may find me wearing a pair of Kuiu Attack pants (with or without a pair of merino base layer), and a merino top, with or without a mid weight fleece top.
I wear this when the weather is warm, and it has been warm here the last five or so years to start the seasons recently.
We’ve gotten very little snow the lately, maybe one snow for the season. Two at best.
When it gets to 30 degrees, and lower I go to wool almost completely.
I probably still hunt most of my time hunting around here, but sometimes I’ll find a spot, and sit it depending on the sign, and situation. Moving through the woods, wool is so very quiet, and it has no “sheen” to it the way some synthetic materials do. It’s just more natural, and sometimes that’s the difference, at least that’s what I believe. Wool, when wet, does keep its insulated properties. I have never experienced that with synthetic. While it may (?) dry faster, when wet in synthetic, and it’s cold out, you are cold.
Late season, if I’m sitting in a stand, I’m wearing my wool still hunting clothes under my parka and bibs. That keeps me the warmest of all clothing systems that I’ve tried. (Sometimes I’m sitting on a field edge with the wind coming across the field, into my face, and it may be 20 down to zero degrees)
Bottom line, we are all different, and we all have what works for us. Hunting NY (Northeast) is definitely different than hunting Alabama or out west.
It’s taken me a few years to figure out what works for me, and I’ve tried to take what works for the “experts” and fit it into what I do.
Wet clothes are wet clothes. None have proven to be warm when wet for me. I think that is just in people’s minds. I don’t wear wool or straight synthetic as an outer layer. No sheen for me, either.
It feels colder hunting in Alabama sometimes than it does hunting out West. I don’t have any issues staying warm out West. Hunting styles and humidity are the biggest culprit.
I’ve dialed in what works for me over the years. Reading all the wool is the best stuff kept me cold for far too long, before I realized it wasn’t. Maybe this will help others not waste as much time as I did.

Ouch, you are right on expensive ass hunting clothes. How much better could they be than Johnson Woolen Mills?? $850 for their hunting coat. Yikes. I wanna say Johnson Mills was more like $500. But I'll look it up and report back. I looked up their hooded jacket and it ran $400. Is Sleeping Indian twice as better? I'll tell ya what, order one jacket like this one:
It's $400. And JWM has talls!!! and a ton of colors and patterns including blaze orange. Check out their web pages.
I own their Pants and Jacket...Don't know if it's worth what I paid for it. Wool is wool, but I figured I'd support a local business. I own woolwich and Pendleton garments as well and they seem on par with Sleeping Indian. It also feels that I wear it less and less because our seasons seem to be getting warmer. Just my two cents.

Wet clothes are wet clothes. None have proven to be warm when wet for me. I think that is just in people’s minds. I don’t wear wool or straight synthetic as an outer layer. No sheen for me, either.
It feels colder hunting in Alabama sometimes than it does hunting out West. I don’t have any issues staying warm out West. Hunting styles and humidity are the biggest culprit.
I’ve dialed in what works for me over the years. Reading all the wool is the best stuff kept me cold for far too long, before I realized it wasn’t. Maybe this will help others not waste as much time as I did.
Really, I’m not trying to argue with you. In fact, I was in a sense, somewhat agreeing with you.
“Bottom line, we are all different, and we all have what works for us.”
This I know wool and synthetics have certain properties that work for them.
That is science and factual.
Quite possibly where, and how you hunt, synthetic materials are better suited, and how, and where I hunt, wool is.
It could be as simple as that.
Best wishes to you this coming season!

Is $325 a good deal for Sleeping Indian wool?

"VINTAGE RARE CUSTOM SLEEPING INDIAN DESIGNS WOOL HUNTING CAMO JACKET ANORACK":

Thoughts before considering purchasing?

Attachments

• 20240815_175143.jpg
    20240815_175143.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
Every year I see less and less hunters wearing wool hunting clothing. This mystifies me as man still has not invented any material that is as warm, quiet, flame retardent, and earth toned coloration as wool. Any one else out there still using wool?
I hear you! Wool is definitely underrated these days. It’s hard to beat its natural warmth, quietness, and durability, especially in cold and wet conditions. Plus, the natural earth tones blend in perfectly with most environments. While synthetics have come a long way in terms of moisture-wicking and weight, they still can’t match wool’s all-around performance in certain hunting scenarios. I still use wool for those exact reasons, and it’s always served me well. Glad to know there are others out there who appreciate the old-school reliability of wool!

I've had good luck on Ebay for SI and King of the Mountain wool.

For that price, I'd go for this. Been debating getting one of those for a while.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back