NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Wool hunting clothing

I am just the opposite of you.
I started out with the new stuff. I agree it is very well made, and also very light. But for me it was not warm enough. I was always cold in it especially if I was sitting.
I started to pick up some wool things and found that I was much warmer and more comfortable.
To each his own
I agree completely. For years I can't tell ya how much I spent at Cabelas. I'll try out the wool in Montana this Fall for my elk & mule deer hunts. For sitting for long periods, I'll be bringing along a Feathered Friends Heavy down parka in my pack. Before I walk, I'll put it back in the pack.

I agree completely. For years I can't tell ya how much I spent at Cabelas. I'll try out the wool in Montana this Fall for my elk & mule deer hunts. For sitting for long periods, I'll be bringing along a Feathered Friends Heavy down parka in my pack. Before I walk, I'll put it back in the pack.
Sleeping Indian built in Troy, MT is good stuff! Get your checkbook out though.

I like my wool. If there is a downside it’s wind while I’m sitting, it’s too permiable. But when I’m moving it’s a positive feature, I’m a sweaty mess in no time. My body just over reacts, eventually I’ll regulate. Wool lets me stay comfortable through that damp sweaty period.

I only wear a thin base layer pant if I’m going to be moving around. Wool base layers have never offered me any warmth, regardless, of the weight of it. I’ve had better luck with what little warmth it offers as a second layer. Synthetic is way warmer and dries way faster for me.

I only wear a thin base layer pant if I’m going to be moving around. Wool base layers have never offered me any warmth, regardless, of the weight of it. I’ve had better luck with what little warmth it offers as a second layer. Synthetic is way warmer and dries way faster for me.
Yeah but it stinks.

Has anyone tried the Eberlestock wool or the new Cabelas wool. I have MTN ops wool baselayers.

I'll have to check them out. Im pretty well set for wool clothes. The people at Johnson Mills have been so nice, and I kinda have loyalty to them. Helping out Americans that work hard.

I like my wool. If there is a downside it’s wind while I’m sitting, it’s too permiable. But when I’m moving it’s a positive feature, I’m a sweaty mess in no time. My body just over reacts, eventually I’ll regulate. Wool lets me stay comfortable through that damp sweaty period.
If it's snowing when I walk in, Ive got a drover's Poncho from Skip's Western Wear here in the Daytona area. It has a Goretex liner for wind & rain. Nevertheless, I bought 3 gals of Starbrite Waterproofer to spray all my wool hunting clothes, the drover's poncho, other rian gear, my Marmot tent rainlfly and the bottom, my Stone Glacier pack, and my Davis Tent cowboy Bedroll.

Has anyone tried the Eberlestock wool or the new Cabelas wool. I have MTN ops wool baselayers.
I refuse to buy anything from Cabelas. I was a customer for 30 years. After Johnny Morris bought the company, it was already headed down the shitter, but it really sht the bed. a bunch 0f chinese crap. And they sold the cabelas credit card to ??? can't remember but they were awful.mLong story, but I will NEVER buy anything from Cabelas.

Ouch, you are right on expensive ass hunting clothes. How much better could they be than Johnson Woolen Mills?? $850 for their hunting coat. Yikes. I wanna say Johnson Mills was more like $500. But I'll look it up and report back. I looked up their hooded jacket and it ran $400. Is Sleeping Indian twice as better? I'll tell ya what, order one jacket like this one:
It's $400. And JWM has talls!!! and a ton of colors and patterns including blaze orange. Check out their web pages.

Last edited:
The new fabrics probably are better suited to spot and stalk or running and gunning style hunting. Here in the northeast I am a still hunter where wool has no equal.
I do everything from spot and stalk to tree stand hunting. Base layer wool just isn’t my first choice for warmth. Synthetic has proven way better for warmth over the years for me.

Use what works for you. Everyone’s taste is different a hunting buddy won’t wear will shirts or coats as they make his neck break out in a rash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back