Weird Hunting Traditions

I eat McDonald’s after every successful hunt as soon as it’s possible.

Non negotiable. If you’re hunting with me and don’t like it GFY, I don’t care what you don’t like .

I don’t understand smearing blood on your face. Weird chit. I’m still surprised people actually do that.

It's the only time of year I eat McDonalds, for some reason a burger, fries, and fountain Coke are soooooo good after days in the hills!

It's the only time of year I eat McDonalds, for some reason a burger, fries, and fountain Coke are soooooo good after days in the hills!

seriously. the only time i'll do a full sugar soda - first stop outta the hills after backpacking trips and pack outs. nothin like an icy fountain coca cola.

tell me your gonna live twice as long as me without telling me.

i dunno man, i've sucked down my fair share of cigarettes, damn near chewed my jaw off, and perpetually sleep like crap.

we'll probably kick it at the same time ;)

The worst is after like 4-5 days in the woods without a shower, then you finally get take one and immediately have to take a giant shit immediately the next morning, in the woods. So basically I get to enjoy 8 hours with a clean ass and now it’s gonna be another 4-5 days until my next shower.
A handful of snow will clean your butt nicely and leave you VERY invigorated. Much better than a cup of coffee to get me going in the morning. You guys need to be able to think outside the box ... or the outhouse.

I have no doubt that many of you have strange hunting traditions, and as I was getting ready for the season yesterday I couldn't help but note a couple of mine:

Many of mine have something to do with music. A few years back my old man and I were packing a bull out, and I could tell he was starting to feel it. So to keep morale up and give us something to march to, I started singing the 5th Dimension's "Let the Sunshine In." That has now become our go-to elk hunting song. We also went on a moose hunt when I was in high school, and our hunting buddy with the tag only had a Beach Boys cassette tape in his truck. Since then, the Beach Boys have become part of the hunting soundtrack. Bob Seger's "Her Strut" is our turkey hunting song. And when I was 6 years old, my dad invented the "Elky Welky" song, which was more of a silly poem than a song.

The biggest one for me, though, is that after a successful hunt, I try to track down an ice cold Mountain Dew. I don't drink it any other time of year, and tend to think most pop is garbage. Of course, there's a long story that goes with why I always get a Mountain Dew after a successful hunt. https://publiclandlawreview.wordpress.com/2017/05/09/mountain-dew-by-jake-schwaller/

What are some of your weirdest traditions? What's something you love about hunting that really has nothing to do with hunting? Let's hear 'em!
"On the Hunt" by Lynyrd Skynyrd is my go to. Gets stuck in my head for days

The worst is after like 4-5 days in the woods without a shower, then you finally get take one and immediately have to take a giant shit immediately the next morning, in the woods. So basically I get to enjoy 8 hours with a clean ass and now it’s gonna be another 4-5 days until my next shower.
There's no bonding like Gold Bonding.

My dad always brought along a hand held radio. It used to drive me nuts that he would fire it up at night and make all sorts of noise. We either listened to the weather or a game. Now I think about it on almost every hunt.

Current tradition - break out a real sappy Sam Hunt song and sing our hearts out!😂😂😂

A handful of snow will clean your butt nicely and leave you VERY invigorated. Much better than a cup of coffee to get me going in the morning. You guys need to be able to think outside the box ... or the outhouse.
Snow is nature's bidet. Some of my best wilder-shits have been off the skin track on backcountry ski missions.

My dad used to let out a Tarzan yell when we would get to a downed animal. Not quite sure where it came from but I plan on continuing it when my son is old enough to hunt

My dad used to let out a Tarzan yell when we would get to a downed animal. Not quite sure where it came from but I plan on continuing it when my son is old enough to hunt
Did he sound like Carol burnett?

When I was a kid we would go hunt with some family friends in Illinois, whenever somebody got a buck we'd carry it back to the barn,and as they dressed it they'd hang his cods on an old hay rake. You wanted weird well there you have it.

When I was a kid we would go hunt with some family friends in Illinois, whenever somebody got a buck we'd carry it back to the barn,and as they dressed it they'd hang his cods on an old hay rake. You wanted weird well there you have it.
Who’s cods? Be clear! Just trying to judge the weirdness level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back