US Forest Service reduced funding for 2025 implications

It's always shocking to me to hear that a government agency is incapable of staying in the black on their budget, it's really not that hard, and with the amount of waste that seems to occur it's inexcusable.
Well, congress gave us a 5% pay increase (keeps up with inflation for this year) but kept the budget flat, not the FS's doing.

There is plenty of waste in the private sector as well, we all have been past a project site where there are several "supervisors" overseeing one person working.

Good article in High Country News about the seasonal employee cuts. It’s also on Vox if you’ve maxed out your free HCN articles and aren’t a subscriber.

I can’t help but wonder if the anticipated maintenance shortfalls help feed the myth that the federal government isn’t the optimal steward of our shared public lands.

I wouldn't be sad if they closed some roads and made more roadless area here in MS.
They could save some money by closing some of the offices. I've been in a few(around the country) to get firewood permits and it doesn't seem like much going on. It's cool to see some taxidermy and local deadheads but at what cost?
Firewood permits could easily be created and maintained on an app(and you could get on a weekend)

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beccynichole
Back