Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Packing out a elk solo.

Terrain is everything and we usually have to give it our all to put an elk down. It can get dicey quickly. Use your brain.

I don't want to diverge from the thread too much, but...

BKHunter - If you aren't experienced in backpack camping, I don't think you should do it on your first elk trip, especially solo. You've got a lot to learn just about elk, let alone camping. Is backpacking hard? Not really, but mentally its not the easiest, and finding game is also a mental challenge. Do yourself a favor and car camp on your first elk hunt, especially if solo!

I backpack all summer long for fishing trips, so I have plenty of experience in that regard. When it comes to elk hunting, I do some backpack trips, but a whole lot of car camping. My wife and I are 100% on one of us getting an elk in the last 5 years, and 50/50 on success rate on backpack vs car camping.

The biggest problem with doing a backpack hunt, especially when coming from out of state, is you're SOL if they elk aren't there. If you car camp and day hike it and don't find sign, drive to the next drainage. The mobility is key!

Packing out the elk solo is mostly a mental challenge.

I shot my last big bull 3 1/2 miles from the road. I packed for 5 hours to get it within a mile of the road. 4 loads. I tried a hero for one trip and decided it was a stupid idea.

I don't want to diverge from the thread too much, but...

BKHunter - If you aren't experienced in backpack camping, I don't think you should do it on your first elk trip, especially solo. You've got a lot to learn just about elk, let alone camping. Is backpacking hard? Not really, but mentally its not the easiest, and finding game is also a mental challenge. Do yourself a favor and car camp on your first elk hunt, especially if solo!

I backpack all summer long for fishing trips, so I have plenty of experience in that regard. When it comes to elk hunting, I do some backpack trips, but a whole lot of car camping. My wife and I are 100% on one of us getting an elk in the last 5 years, and 50/50 on success rate on backpack vs car camping.

The biggest problem with doing a backpack hunt, especially when coming from out of state, is you're SOL if they elk aren't there. If you car camp and day hike it and don't find sign, drive to the next drainage. The mobility is key!

Packing out the elk solo is mostly a mental challenge.

^^^^ This is some good stuff. Great post. I think a lot of guys overlook the mental aspect of backpack hunting. Which in my opinion is one of if not the BIGGEST challenge. It sounds great, seems cool at the time, but even after one full day of having no one to talk to and not being able to use your phone, not being able to talk to friends and family, a lot of people breakdown and literally look for excuses to get off the mountain to get back to the comforts of our everyday life. Throw in a storm or two and that will break guys even faster. It can take years to build that mental toughness. Everybody is different but it took me alot of 1-2-3 day trips over the years to slowly work myself into real 5-7 day extended trips solo. I look forward to zero contact from the outside world and that my phone won't ring for a week. The experience of a solo hunt is a special one, but it is NOT for everybody. Jumping into it completely unprepared mentally is a waste of your time. Vanish has a great point in doing car camping for your first hunt. Slowly build up your experience and it will reward you. Good luck 2016!

A lot of good tips already, especially the part about hunting with a pack that can haul out a first load.

I'll usually pack out a hind quarter on my first trip out with as much loose meat as I can carry. Then I'll come back with a true meat hauler frame pack for the rest. The second trip will be another hind quarter and as much loose meat as I can plus antlers. I usually leave the bone in on hind quarters because the weight of bone versus the meat ratio is low enough that I think it's worth it as I prefer to let meat cool on the bone. I'll also bring in a saw and cut off the skull cap of the bull so I don't have to pack the entire head out. If you are keeping the cape it is best to skin out the head at the kill site.

The third trip I take both front shoulders boned out. In the case of front quarters the bone to meat ratio is higher and most of the meat is going into my burger pile so keeping it on the bone doesn't matter to me. On this trip I'll bring out the cape if I'm keeping it.

Much better is to do it in 4 loads and not destroy your body, especially your back and knees. In that case one trip for each hind quarter and then on the 2 trips for the front quarters throw in the loose meat and antlers. It will take an extra trip but most of the time it is worth it.

I also carry some cheap game bags in my day pack because they are lightweight and on the first return trip I come back with better bags to wrap the meat that I have to come back for.

Depending on the distance to the truck it could take 1-2 days. Just put the meat someplace that it will be in shade at all times. Look for someplace to hang it with trees all around and I find near creeks helps it to stay cooler.

Last edited:
I was 30 at the time I killed a 5x6 bull 3 miles in, it took me 7 hours and 3 trips from start too finish, 2 fronts first trip, a hind, than another hind, the head I carried half way on the second trip and than on the 3rd trip I carried the head the other half, i'm on the smaller side 6' 160lbs soaking wet. I used the gutless method and boned, it was 80 degrees that day, just get the meat in the shade and boned in medium sized piece's and it will be fine, I laid the 4 quarters boned in the shade between two branches too get air circulating through the bags laid out flat. Seem too do the job well! That should give you a good idea on what too expect,
Matt

Last edited:
Thanks so much everyone. Really great info and tips so far. I can't wait to get out there and get after it. Some great advice on solo packing in and camping also. I've been to CO 5 trips now and Im planning on hammock camping a few nights solo once i find the elk. But i have a basecamp with nice camper and hot shower house to go back to after a night or two. It would be really tough for me to do it completely on my own without my dad and buddy's dad back at basecamp. Even if they can't help much packing just having them to talk to and share camp with is huge. For first timers car camping would deff be the way to go. Thanks again guys

I make sure to take paracord and game bags to hang the meat in the shade (make sure you pick a tree that allows air flow). For the first load, I pack the backstaps, tenderloins, and some scrap meat to make a comfortable load in my day pack. Not enough to make the straps dig, but 30 pounds is enough. Then 3 more trips for an elk. Hind quarters on seperate trips, then the 3rd trip will have the front shoulders/ antlers. After all, if you pack out too soon, the hunt is over. I would rather take an extra trip than be layed up for the next day!

If all else fails ask someone that's hunting the area with horses if they will pack it out. It may cost you some feed

I dropped my bull last year 7.5 miles from the truck in the Pecos Wilderness in NM and zero horses. All on foot. Granted I had a partner with me, but here is how we did it with zero spoilage.

Bull killed at 9:30am. Went gutless method. We filled 4 large game bags with meat. Since we didn't have our Trekking poles ( they were at camp 2 miles away, downhill, I took a bag and the skull/horns and partner took a bag. Two remaining bags were strung up in the shade in the mph "breeze".

Got to camp and ate like kings. Grabbed the poles, stripped our packs to the bare frames and went back up the mountain. Grabbed the two remaining bags of meat and went down to camp. Since it was late afternoon, we decided to take a double load each of meat ( two bags per guy) and partner took the skull horns ( I had the two bigger bags of meat). We decided to cache the meat/horns 1 mile from truck, off the trail. Hung them up with para cord and was able to hang the skull/horns up as well. Walked 4.5 miles back up to camp, exhausted, at 12:30am. Ate like kings again ( could barely raise the forkfull of Mountain house lasagna to my mouth).

Next morning we woke up around 7am ( slept in a bit :)) , broke camp and walked the 5.5 miles down to the truck. Put our gear away and went back up the 1 mile for the meat. We again took the double load of meat each and arrived at the truck at 1pm. It was 75 degrees at the truck but my frozen milk jugs filled with water were still frozen in the old igloo cooler. Drove 2 hours home and then spent the next 3 days butchering.

Now granted there was two of us, so if I was on my own I would have taken an extra day or two, but I believe I would have still had zero spoilage. A little breeze and shade does wonders for the meat on the mountain, and the frozen jugs are just the ticket in the cooler.

One thing I would do is get really comfortable with 50-60 pounds in your pack and try to walk some hills. I train identical to Randy. I walked 3-5 miles a day for the 3 months leading up to the hunt with 65 pounds in my pack in the form of tire chains. We never weighed the meat bags but I would guess around 100 pounds total for 2 bags.

I am no spring chicken either at 42, but as an earlier member posted, being mentally prepared for a pack out is dam near the entire battle. I made sure and had some B12 pills for energy, Ibuprofen before bed, and lots of water. The three months leading up to the hunt I would tell myself over and over while walking with my pack on " elk quarter on your back, one step at a time".

Good advice here.
Getting an elk to the truck from a mile away can be an ordeal let alone from a pack in camp.
Last elk I packed out was in 4 trips and I relayed it too.I took a downhill route that was farther & easier to a road,then went for my truck.Took me 3 days.Head & camp come out last for me.
I'm 61 and a backpacker since 65',but after last year I think my pack in 5+mi trips for elk & deer solo are over.

The biggest thing is you have time if the animal is quartered and the temps are down in at least the low 40s at night. You do not need to be in a hurry. If you are way back in then take the extra time to debone it. Tie the bag off with string between large chunks of meat so one piece does not sit directly on top of another.

Honestly, get it in the shade (especially on a North side, East Side, or down near a crick) and you probably have 4-5 days to get it out. I am not saying wait that long - not at all. But you could if you had to. You might be able to carry a smaller bag of meat with a quarter on the back. That helps too.

Enjoy it and don't kill yourself.

I think i read them all and can't believe nobody has mentioned it yet, SHOOT IT CLOSE TO THE TRUCK :hump:

Don't be like Randy and pass up the mule deer at the trailhead ;)

My biggest concern this year are the predators. We are picking up lots of wolves, lions, and bears recently on game cameras. I'll hang the quarters high and count on company when I return to the kill site.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 649
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 694
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 694
I'm terms of time, I'm pretty much a stick figure 150 dripping wet, but managed to get my bull out four miles in four loads, including the neck meat and ribs. It was downhill and trekking poles saved me. Did one trip that night, then three more the next day, which took all day. At each trip I tried to make sure the rest of the meat was still in the shade and would stay in the shade until the next trip. At 10k feet in late sept it was still hot but the nights saved the meat as it was below freezing.

Terrain is everything and we usually have to give it our all to put an elk down. It can get dicey quickly. Use your brain.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ that, The more rough and steep, the lighter your load needs to be. I did a mule deer in one long trip in the high country and that will never happen again in that kind of terrain. It's taken me a long time to figure out how to judge how heavy the pack should be just in time to get old and do a lot less of that kind of packing. And.... if a horse is available for a reasonable $$$ it's worth it.

I get the elk boned out or quartered depending on my mood and location. What I do with the meat while I am carting the first load out depends a lot on the location and what's available to me. I have hung meat and also sumerged it in bags in water. Dead falls , logs ect ect can all be used in one way or another...and some times you really don't have anything and all you can do is get it in some shade.
One thing I do tend to do is take the first load out heavy as I can without going over board. Being alone I am looking at another two trips to get all the meat out. Take it slow, don't rush and be careful and think about each step in the process.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back