Solo Elk Hunt in Colorado: Am I About to Embark on a Glorious Disaster?

Perhaps go to Colorado, not get a tag (save that coin), and do everything as if you were actually hunting. After a day or two you might realize some things about yourself, either positive or negative. If you are finding elk, and want to go to town to buy a tag, do it, relocate the elk, and go get him down. By then you will already be somewhat familiar with the terrain, and have assessed your budding abilities to move in the country and will have counted the cost of success.

By waiting to buy a tag until you get there, you will also be more aware of the weather forecasts and how much leeway you have in keeping the meat safe.

It will be an adventure to remember, whether you release an arrow or pull the trigger or not.

Perhaps go to Colorado, not get a tag (save that coin), and do everything as if you were actually hunting. After a day or two you might realize some things about yourself, either positive or negative. If you are finding elk, and want to go to town to buy a tag, do it, relocate the elk, and go get him down. By then you will already be somewhat familiar with the terrain, and have assessed your budding abilities to move in the country and will have counted the cost of success.

By waiting to buy a tag until you get there, you will also be more aware of the weather forecasts and how much leeway you have in keeping the meat safe.

It will be an adventure to remember, whether you release an arrow or pull the trigger or not.
Great advice!

Do not turn down the chance to go elk hunting. You never know when you will get the opportunity again. I waited untill i was older to start and now i realize how much i missed out on. I have a bow hunt next month but my legs are not sure if they are going to make it. Enjoy the opportunity and learn all you can to make the next chance even better. Good Luck.

At the risk of adding more crowding to the elk hills I'll say:
The best time to start elk hunting is YESTERDAY.

Every successful elk hunter had a first hunt. Some at 9 years old, some at 19 and some at 39.

The common theme is experience. You can't learn to hunt elk if you aren't in the hills with 'em.

I like that perspective on it. 'Any Elk' OTC tag is ~$800, not cheap. However, you'd happily pay double that, in the moment, if you had a bull in your sights and no tag in your pocket. (you wouldn't have your weapon present, but you get what I mean)

Getting your first elk in the mountains is a heckuva accomplishment. Packing one out solo is double accomplishment. If it were easy every deer hunter would do it.
I say go for it. Only one way to find out.
A little perspective. I've packed out a dozen elk solo, and helped pack quite a few. At 61 the head says go, the body says pump the brakes.
Words of wisdom from those that have been there, at some point every year it starts to get harder. If you have youth in your favor, ...do it.
Maybe don't take an expensive tent on the first hunt.😁

I'm at the point where I go on elk hunts I know are going to be bad just to get more time in chasing elk, and honestly usually get a bull in spite of everyone saying it's going to be bad... as many have said the best way to figure it out is to go, it's going to be hard, but if, or when, in the case you get addicted, you get a bull solo after putting all the work by yourself it's going to be hard to top that experience if time and money allow go for it!

solo is a problem that is solvable, use your head, and most of all remember that positive mindset and relentlessly covering ground kill elk.

**Headline: "Solo Elk Hunt in Colorado: Should I Go for It or Wait?"**

I’m looking for some advice—should I take on a solo OTC elk hunt in Colorado this year, or hold off until I’m better prepared?

I’m from the Midwest with no experience hunting elk or navigating mountain terrain, but I’ve got some unexpected time off and am considering heading out to Unit 14. My main concern is the pack out—if I do manage to get an elk, I’m not sure how difficult it would be to handle it alone, especially when it comes to preventing meat spoilage.

For those of you who’ve done solo elk hunts, how tough is the pack out on your own? Any tips on strategies for managing the load, especially if I’m trying to stay close to truck access? Also, how realistic is it to find spots in Unit 14 that won’t require a long, grueling pack out?

I’m torn between giving this a shot now or waiting until next year when I could be better prepared and possibly have a team to help. Would appreciate any specific advice or strategies you’ve used in similar situations. Thanks!
Ask yourself this:

Would I still take shot at this if I was restricted from telling anyone about it.

In any manner.

Ever.

I am also a life long white tail hunter from the Midwest that just recently started elk hunting. The biggest mistake I made on my first few hunts was hunting them like white tail. It’s a totally different game up in the mountains compared to the wood lots and corn fields I’ve been hunting There has been a lot of good advice here. I would get out there and get after it. At the very least the post about getting out there with out a tag is great idea. You can learn the roads and possibly find some elk and get after them next year.

Just go if you have the time and can swing it financially. You won’t regret it no matter if you take an animal or not.
You should learn enough to make it worthwhile regardless because you will be much more experienced for your next trip.

The packout is the most important issue. I hunt solo, the last bull I killed was 1.7 miles from the truck. At my age (68) it takes me 6 loads to pack out a boned out bull plus the skull/antlers. What a lot of newbies don't realize is that 1.7 miles ends up being 18.7 miles when it's all said and done for the one 1/2 trip and 5 round trips. Naturally, the more weight you can handle, the less trips you need to make. A boned out mature bull is roughly 225 pounds of meat plus headgear weight.

I say go do it. My first solo bull elk success was up in that country on a first season rifle hunt. Only 2 miles in the way the crow flies, but over 4 hiking, lots of down trees. There's plenty of cool temperature holes around there to chill meat. Took a few days to get the meat out in 4 trips and no meat loss.

As you hike take note of cooler areas, usually wet low spots with plenty of shade, springs. Get a good pack, not just some Gregory backpack.

Never wait on hunting buddies to come around to your ideas. Tell them stories and hope they join next year is my approach.

I waited until my kids were older and then got myself and my daughter a tag. I bought everything I thought I needed to camp, did research for months and then six weeks before the hunt I broke my back and the hunt was canceled. Now there’s a very small chance I’ll ever be able to do it. I’m buying points and saving money for a guided trip…it’s probably the only way an elk hunt will ever happen for me.
If you have the money, time, and health I wouldn’t put it off.

GO NOW!!!! You don't know if you have tomorrow, much less a year from now....
lessens learned on this hunt, will help in future hunts.....
stay close to truck for pack out if you can, but not too close, Remember what your there for....to get an elk & cross pack out bridge when you get to it.
where there is a will , there is a way.
GO FOR IT NOW@

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back