NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Solo Elk Hunt in Colorado: Am I About to Embark on a Glorious Disaster?

A bad day of elk hunting is better than a great day whitetail hunting.

That is the furthest thing from the truth, but Okay.

I'm pretty confident the overwhelming majority of guys on here would rather have a great day whitetail hunting over seeing and hearing absolutely nothing but pumpkins in "elk country".

Going on a date with a 9 < getting to 3rd base with a 7.

Last edited:
The best way to gain experience is by doing. Go for it, and enjoy the process. I have realized that being a beginner at anything some of the most fun, and can make for some of the best memories. I do strongly recommend obtaining an inreach or something of the sort, having seen and personally been through a some harrowing events in the high country.

**Headline: "Solo Elk Hunt in Colorado: Should I Go for It or Wait?"**

I’m looking for some advice—should I take on a solo OTC elk hunt in Colorado this year, or hold off until I’m better prepared?

I’m from the Midwest with no experience hunting elk or navigating mountain terrain, but I’ve got some unexpected time off and am considering heading out to Unit 14. My main concern is the pack out—if I do manage to get an elk, I’m not sure how difficult it would be to handle it alone, especially when it comes to preventing meat spoilage.

For those of you who’ve done solo elk hunts, how tough is the pack out on your own? Any tips on strategies for managing the load, especially if I’m trying to stay close to truck access? Also, how realistic is it to find spots in Unit 14 that won’t require a long, grueling pack out?

I’m torn between giving this a shot now or waiting until next year when I could be better prepared and possibly have a team to help. Would appreciate any specific advice or strategies you’ve used in similar situations. Thanks!
You'll have lots of company...

From one WI flatlander to another, seize the day. Do it while you can. Make sure you have basic communication back home, in reach/Zoleo, know you limits, and have a great time. I would watch every Youtube solo hunting video or Fresh tracks video you can and have plan A thru Z in your pocket. Also, make sure you always have a water source.

if you're looking to experience the West then just go, whether or not you buy the OTC tag is up to you.
Not that big of a deal to quarter one up and haul it out, as long as you don't go 5+ miles in by yourself. Just plan ahead a little bit and prepare in case you put one on the ground.
I've done alot of solo elk hunts and pack-outs by myself and they are do-able if a little thought goes into it.
you won't pack out a bull by yourself if you're 7 miles in and it's warm out, without the potential for losing some meat and just plain running out of physical energy.

Try to focus on the areas that are 3 miles or less in that everybody walks through to get to the deep back-country, most of my elk have been killed in the <3 mile mark in hidey-holes

I say do it. I did it and I traveled solo but in Colorado you are never alone. I was 6.5 miles back when I came across a line of grandmas with thier dogs asking me “did you catch a deer!?”
That’s hilarious 😂

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back