Pack Rats

Southern Elk

I have a pack rat under the hood of one of my trucks. I’ve tried rat traps and rat poison. Neither has worked. Any tips on how to get rid of it?

For your reading enjoyment.....

And this excellent adventure as well

I live in NM which should have been named Raton.
Damn packrats are just one of many that will wreck a vehicle & everything else.
Neighbors leave the hood popped open.

I am having mesh hardware cloth installed where they get into heater and air filter.
I have worn out rat traps...and mouse.
No electronic device has worked for me. They wore out an electric shocker model too.

Bait stations is what I have gone too around the house. But none have moved into my trucks.
All my neighbors have nests in new vehicles and old.

Dotti has been after the chipmunk that wants to move in today. Good girl.

Leaving the hood open works but is not always practical. I use a weasel/Martin box baited with an apple and peanut butter with a 110 conibear under or near the vehicle. I also use poison but sometimes it isn't an option
They can be so destructive, especially on old vehicles that sit a lot and tractors, backhoe, excavators etc. Them and grey diggers are a constant battle for us.

I have a pack rat under the hood of one of my trucks. I’ve tried rat traps and rat poison. Neither has worked. Any tips on how to get rid of it?
And here i thought you were just storing stuff and wanted to know the best way to inventory it all....

Try some Bounce fabric sheets under the hood.

Put a big bull snake under there too.
The gain/bounce sheets might work! It worked in the fifth wheel compartments and in the cab of my old truck to keep mice out. I also heard of good results from peppermint oil on cotton swabs but haven't tried it

Frankly the bigger rat snap traps work the best. Can you bait a couple and put them under the hood?

Has anyone tried capsaicin spray or oil ?

Have A Heart. Then do as you please. Mine seem to like crushed beer cans for bait. Just don't forget you set the trap!PR.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back Tracker
Back