Montana’s best steaks

Best Prime Rib I've had in MT: Grizzly Bar in Roscoe

Best Ribeye: The Grand Hotel in Big Timber

For something super fancy: Buffalo Block in Billings
Tell us more about Buffalo Block. It was the Rex before I moved away? Now I’m back and it’s that.

It looks quite pricey.

Went to Jake’s downtown about a month ago. It’s still a solid option.

Anyone eat at The Union in Helena? New restaurant, old roots, great business idea. Wondering if food will help hold it up.

Never had meals out like the ones we make.

My brother gave us some of the 40 day dry aged ribeyes that he did. We took them with us to Canada and supplemented with grilled walleye and grilled blackened pike. Gluttony at its finest.

But since this is about Montana, as a tourist thing, the buffalo ribeye at the Iron Horse in Gardiner was fun for my kids.

Sunday my kids cooked me a tomahawk they got at Winco. My son can grill. Baby red potatoes, homemade (daughter) jalapeño cheddar sourdough, and homemade rhubarb pie (Mom). Never have had a meal like it at a restaurant.
Something about moms and rhubarb pie.
That was a regular growing up. Mom would always go easy on the sugar, so her pies were pretty tart. I think it was by design....motivated the kids to crank out some homemade vanilla ice cream.🤣

I have always considered The Grizzly Bar in Roscoe to be the best spot in the state.
That said, I’ve never been the The Edgar Bar.

Theres a new contender. On the Rocks in Worden, about 25 miles east of Billings.
Get the Ribeye.

The only place I think I’ve been to that’s better is The Star in Elko.
Thats including some very nice places in Scottsdale, Vegas and San Diego.

What’s on your list?
The Edgar Bar had been my favorite but changed ownership awhile back , I went right after they reopened, they had taken pictures off the wall but didn’t hang anything up to replace them , made it look empty, I thought that wasn’t a smart move. You shouldn’t take things down unless you have something to immediately replace them.

My appetizer took way too long to get, but the steak dinner was good, but I gave them a pass due to new opening . Havnt been back since

I’ve been to the Bearcreek Saloon for there steaks , excellent steaks but a no frills , it’s always packed because of the pig races

Been to On the Rocks in Worden twice , my 1st time I ordered the steak Frites I thought it was the best steak I’ve ever ever had in Montana when a few weeks later ordered the same thing and it wasn’t seasoned the same so I was a little disappointed, but I still like that place.

I’ve been to Jake’s in downtown Billings not the one on the West End . I’ve always been impressed with their stakes.

Bearcreek saloon Bison Steak, this year I got a different kind but was also delicious

71530421508__1EA072BE-C752-48E9-9375-55C0BFBEB68C.jpegIMG_4514.jpegIMG_4510.jpeg

Tell us more about Buffalo Block. It was the Rex before I moved away? Now I’m back and it’s that.

It looks quite pricey.

You back in Billings? And ya the buffalo block is for guys in another tax bracket

Spring Creek Bar out Sarpy Creek used to have a pretty good prime rib but I haven't been out there in a long time

Best steak I’ve had in MT was some prime fillets @Elkoholic and I picked up from Costco and grilled at high heat on lump charcoal and basted with garlic butter while grilling. Finished it with some kosher salt flakes and a baked Yukon Gold potatoes with plenty of butter and sour cream and asparagus on the side.
I second that. When asked where to go for a good steak, I've said Costco.

I second that. When asked where to go for a good steak, I've said Costco.
We don’t have a Costco in Great Falls, but the steaks that I get at Sam’s Club are amazing. We don’t eat out at restaurants often, but will splurge every now and then for either a tomahawk or prime cut steaks at Sam’s club that I’ll smoke on the traeger at home and then sear that I’ll put up against any restaurant steak I’ve had.

It looks quite pricey.

Yup, former Rex now Buffalo Block. They have both wet and dry aged steaks, and you definitely pay for it. However, it was the most evenly cooked steak I've ever had (only been there once for a birthday). To @cgasner1's point, I'm not in the tax bracket that gets to eat there frequently.

Last edited:
The Edgar Bar had been my favorite but changed ownership awhile back , I went right after they reopened, they had taken pictures off the wall but didn’t hang anything up to replace them , made it look empty, I thought that wasn’t a smart move. You shouldn’t take things down unless you have something to immediately replace them.

My appetizer took way too long to get, but the steak dinner was good, but I gave them a pass due to new opening . Havnt been back since

I’ve been to the Bearcreek Saloon for there steaks , excellent steaks but a no frills , it’s always packed because of the pig races

Been to On the Rocks in Worden twice , my 1st time I ordered the steak Frites I thought it was the best steak I’ve ever ever had in Montana when a few weeks later ordered the same thing and it wasn’t seasoned the same so I was a little disappointed, but I still like that place.

I’ve been to Jake’s in downtown Billings not the one on the West End . I’ve always been impressed with their stakes.

Bearcreek saloon Bison Steak, this year I got a different kind but was also delicious

View attachment 330124View attachment 330125View attachment 330126
I pass that bear creek saloon but it's never on a day their open. One of these days I'll catch it open.

Normally nothing at all but some do add ketchup.....some.

As you say don't want to derail the thread, I never had a bad steak in the ribnchop house in Livingston but the last time was 2018 so things might have changed?
Don't know about Billings, but the one in Sheridan has gone down hill.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manbugle
Back