Montana’s best steaks

land of Magic, oasis, bison ribeye from Ted’s, Stacy’s in a nice spot. Lots of good ones around Bozeman.

My favorite spot all time is 5th street steak house in Chico, CA. Really consistent on quality and they had the ribeye dialed in IMO. I’m excited to get a list of some new spots to try
Oasis has been closed for a while. Now the Manhattan Saloon and has been hit or miss since renaming/sell.

Beef and Bone in Ulm has never disappointed me.
I've always been curious about that place, I'll have to check it out.

I generally believe that paying for a steak at a restaurant is not worth it. It's damn expensive and never any better than what I can grill up at home. Or maybe I just don't have very discerning taste in beef steak.

Nobody mentions Marysville House? I haven't eaten there in decades and would be curious to hear an update on the steaks. (Big Steaks and Big Drinks!)

Just to make sure I contradict my statement about not paying for restaurant steaks, I have enjoyed a few times the balsamic and roasted-garlic filet mignon at the Brewhouse in Helena.

the balsamic and roasted-garlic filet mignon at the Brewhouse in Helena.

Balsamic reduction on steak is amazing. Haven't tried the filet at the Brewhouse, but local place does a NY Strip that's passable primarily because of the reduction sauce.

Is Karst. camp still open on the way to west yellow from Bozeman? 40 years ago it's was awesome.

Balsamic reduction on steak is amazing. Haven't tried the filet at the Brewhouse, but local place does a NY Strip that's passable primarily because of the reduction sauce.
Deer backstrap seasoned with just salt and smoked peppercorns seared then cooked to medium rare drizzled with balsamic reduction. Throw a side of mashed taters that soak up the rogue balsamic. Sign me up everyday!

It’s not a steakhouse, but if anyone is near Missoula the little Oxbow self-serve store is a great place to grab local steaks to cook yourself.

Is Karst. camp still open on the way to west yellow from Bozeman? 40 years ago it's was awesome.
Historic Gallatin Canyon Stage stop and dude ranch log building restaurant burned down. Then another restaurant was built across the highway, but closed many years ago. The old Corral cold beer bar and restaurant is still open, closer up the road toward Big Sky.

The Edgar bar is one of my favorites.

Lahood is usually really solid.

I’ve never been impressed with the Oasis or any of the options in Butte.

Reactions: DFS
Best steak I’ve had in MT was some prime fillets @Elkoholic and I picked up from Costco and grilled at high heat on lump charcoal and basted with garlic butter while grilling. Finished it with some kosher salt flakes and a baked Yukon Gold potatoes with plenty of butter and sour cream and asparagus on the side.
And we're doing it again in August! I think adding crab legs or lobster is in order for this occasion! 😉
Reading through this thread I actually thought of those filets too, they were fantastic.

I've had some great steaks in restaurants in my life, but tend to think my best I've had always goes back to some that were sourced fresh locally and cooked at home.

Unfortunately, it's tough to find a ribeye or a prime rib for less than $40 these days. That has let me perfect the reverse sear at home though, so my back patio is my go-to now.

Best Prime Rib I've had in MT: Grizzly Bar in Roscoe

Best Ribeye: The Grand Hotel in Big Timber

For something super fancy: Buffalo Block in Billings

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdtex7
Back