PEAX Equipment

Montana’s best steaks

Best Prime Rib I've had in MT: Grizzly Bar in Roscoe

Best Ribeye: The Grand Hotel in Big Timber

For something super fancy: Buffalo Block in Billings
Iv heard about the grand hotel in BT as being very good from more than one person. Maybe equally as much as land of magic

I rarely order a steak at a restaurant, the price just stops me. So, when out, a bacon cheeseburger or a good patty melt are more my style.

I love a good steak cooked at home, or when camping. They're best when cut thick and cooked rare.

I rarely order a steak at a restaurant, the price just stops me. So, when out, a bacon cheeseburger or a good patty melt are more my style.

I love a good steak cooked at home, or when camping. They're best when cut thick and cooked rare.
Bogarts in red lodge. BBQ bacon cheese burger. 👍 local beef.

Good thread, years ago I would have said the Oasis in Manhattan but not anymore.

Best fillet I've had is actually at chico, only steak better than I can cook myself.

Best ribeye or prime rib has been at the grand in big timber

I've become disillusioned with steaks that can be ordered already cooked. The best beef is purchased in large quantities, from someone you know, who took the time to raise, finish and process the animal correctly.

So, the best beef I've ever had in Montana was a 1/2 beef I got on a trade. Grass raised, grain finished Charlais cow, about 3 years old, IIRC.

Second best was a steer out of Wyoming named Fat Boy. He was a sweet cow, but a much better steak. He was raised on the banks of the Wind River, finished off for a few weeks on corn, and cut up on the ranch.

Although, @Nameless Range's spot sounds about right for quality. Barkeep needs to have about a 3" long ash on a Malboro Red though, to be authentic.
I have never enjoyed a frozen steak as much as a raw steak. I grew up on mostly frozen steaks from cattle we raised and had butchered then wrapped in freezer wrap and stored at the German butcher's store with your name on each package along with what the package contained. My understanding is that freezing causes some of the cells to rupture and that accelerates fluid loss as thaws out from being frozen.

I prefer a fresh steak, not aged, bone-in closer to 2" thick seasoned 30 minutes prior to cooking with a generous layer of Montreal Steak dry rub plus fresh garlic and olive oil then cooked at 500F or higher for a few minutes each side. The fat crisps up, the seasonings evolve under that high heat and a bit of char adds flavor depth. I rarely order steak now as the eatery can't add much over my grill except if a better cut of meat.

I have never enjoyed a frozen steak as much as a raw steak. I grew up on mostly frozen steaks from cattle we raised and had butchered then wrapped in freezer wrap and stored at the German butcher's store with your name on each package along with what the package contained. My understanding is that freezing causes some of the cells to rupture and that accelerates fluid loss as thaws out from being frozen.

I prefer a fresh steak, not aged, bone-in closer to 2" thick seasoned 30 minutes prior to cooking with a generous layer of Montreal Steak dry rub plus fresh garlic and olive oil then cooked at 500F or higher for a few minutes each side. The fat crisps up, the seasonings evolve under that high heat and a bit of char adds flavor depth. I rarely order steak now as the eatery can't add much over my grill except if a better cut of meat.

Fresh meat is good enough for toothy critters, it's good enough for me. ;)

Montreal is a staple here as well. But - I dislike fat. Cook it all, but I'm cutting the fat off and enjoying the actual cut of meat. Fat is delicious flavor, but it's gross to eat.

Lolo Creek Steakhouse, the couple times I have been there, is legit.

If you ask 20 people from Helena, MT what the best steak in the area is, I bet a large portion would say the Windsor, in Boulder. If you asked 20 from Jefferson County, 15+ would say the Windsor. The Windsor, for both a legitimately great steak and an atmosphere-endangered, is my tops.

The steaks are cut and purchased locally every day, and they sell out when gone through. When they’re out of ribeyes sourced from the Boulder Valley- they're out for the night.

The cook is also the bartender, and your steak will be cooked at the bar by a goddamn artist - capable of serving beers to a dozen of the local wild and wooly, all while cooking a half a dozen steaks to order, and right.

Also, if you order a pasty, they make the gravy fresh for every single one. That has nothing to do with steak I know, but it seems important.

I’m there both too often and not enough.

View attachment 329976
Been there, done that! Yup they're dang good.

Montreal is a staple here as well. But - I dislike fat. Cook it all, but I'm cutting the fat off and enjoying the actual cut of meat. Fat is delicious flavor, but it's gross to eat.

Agree with every part of this. Im glad the fat is there, just don’t want to eat much of it.

You and I could be friends. Our minds think alike.

Steak needs to be med rare from my grill is smoker at home. I think me a good thick burger from a restaurant, and it doesn’t cost near as much as a steak

Fresh meat is good enough for toothy critters, it's good enough for me. ;)

Fat gets eaten out of habit more than anything. Old man said you weren't finished til it was all gone as a kid. Stuck with me I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Winchester94
Back