MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana Wolf - The waiting is over!

That's freaking awesome!
Congrats guys, that really is a fantastic feat.

I was out today, and thinking that no matter how hard you hunt, you're still going to need a good deal of luck on your side.
Really cool to see that you guys got that luck :D

Last edited:
Awesome! I just opened my Headwater seat covers installation packet and behold...a recipe for corned big game! I have already corned goose and nasty divers and found them delicious! Perhaps corned wolf should be the new reuben ingredient for 2012.:D

Wow, not sure where to even start this one. Guess I will go chronologically.

We got down to the hunting area around the same time - about a half hour before filming light. We drove around to the areas where we had seen elk yesterday afternoon, prior to leaving. Thought was the elk might have fed out in the open all night, making them very visible to wolves.

Did that for about an hour. Ran into some other hunters hunting the same properties. Little did we know that would play to our benefit in the long run, though frustrating when the first chance was interrupted by other hunters with permission. Nice to know the landowners are letting a lot of people hunt wolves. Gonna take all hands on deck, to fill these quotas.

After talking to one of those hunters, he told us where he was thinking of going. Didn't really matter to us, as we had no real plan, other than to keep glassing. After a while, we decided to get up on some ridges and see if we could find anything that was within our hunting location.

In short order we watched a bunch more coyotes playing in the sage. Critter suggested I try to call them. No interest to the coyotes out there about 1,200 yards, but the horses seemed to be interested in my songs. That was fun, but left me with the feeling that things were going to be just like all the other days.

We went back to glassing. Lots of elk scattered every direction you could see, from high to low, north to south, and east to west. Looked hard to find where maybe one wolf might have decided to follow a herd in hopes of dinner.

I was pretty sure that my time was a waste. But given the eyes and glassing talents Critter has, I was not about to give up on his chances from this high outpost.

Sure enough, within an hour or so, he told me he had a herd of about a dozen bulls acting strange. And a herd of mule deer below them was looking the same direction the elk were looking. Critter commented about the weird behavior and that something must have things on alert.

I was busy tending my south pointed glass when I heard Critter yelling, "Wolf. Wolf!" He is not good at disguising his excitement. I turned and he was waving me over to his position. He told me the wolf just lifted its head to howl. I listened, and about fifteen seconds later, heard the faint howl. Wow, that was cool.

I was hovering next to Critter, trying to see through my binos. It was way too far away. He stepped away from the spotter and offered me a chance to look. Wow. The wolf was on its haunches, howling like crazy. Lots of people over that way, so we had to move and move fast.

The plan was made that I would run to the truck and meet Critter, Loren, and Brad (additional camera guy), down at the bottom. Best for them to keep an eye on the wolf until the last minute that we had to move. It took me about twenty minutes of trotting as fast as my Holiday-fattened butt could go to clear the ridges back to the truck. Too much lefsa is not good for wolf hunting conditioning.

While I ran to get the truck and drove it down below to where those guys could scale straight down to the county road, they took this pic of the wolf. He was just walking around, checking out the elk, checking out the deer, then moving back to his howling post. This wolf was the one I posted about. He was on public land, but right above a trailhead full of vehicles.

IMG_1754.JPG

Given the amount of traffic and the number of hunters out today, we knew we had to haul the freight and get over to that trailhead. Critter reported that the wolf had left the ridge and dropped down into the timbered drainage. Not good for us.

I drove as fast as I could, the four or five miles of ice packed roads that took us to the trailhead. On our way there, we saw two other hunters on some private land right below the ridge the wolf had been howling from. They were packing long range rifles, so we suspected they may have shot and that is what might have scared the wolf.

We got to the trailhead and there were three other rigs parked. Lucky for us, they all headed the opposite direction, so there were no hunters coming into the public from our angle. Within short order, we hit the wilderness area sign. Crap. I have no filming permit for that area. Now what to do?

Critter decides we will follow the ridge back up above the truck. In short order we cross wolf tracks. Really fresh wolf tracks, and at least four different wolves making them. The tracks are going right to the trail the other hunters have taken. Dang the luck. The wolf we spotted had some company and they had already gotten through and headed away from us.

Just for the hell of it, Critter blew a few notes on the tube. Right away, the woods erupted to out south. I looked out in a big opening and there was a gray canine walking along. I showed it to Critter. We tried to see if it was wolf or coyote. Depending upon the angle, it looked like both at times.

Finally he turned broadside to us and started loping toward the howling of other wolves. With those long legs, there was no doubt it was a wolf. He was covering ground, and covering it fast. Critter howled and the wolf stopped in his tracks. Looked at us, let out one howl, then moved off toward the timber. He was probably 3/4 mile away, and up and down some serious terrain to get to him.

What to do. We decided we would head back toward where we were when we spotted the first wolf this morning. The pack of howlers seemed to be moving that direction. As much of a pain as it would be to backtrack and climb back up the ridge, that seemed to be the best thing to do at this juncture.

Just as we were packing up, I looked down below and saw a big black canine. He emerged from a group of black cows, but there was no mistaking it was a wolf. I pointed to Critter. He confirmed. This wolf was about 3/4 mile away also, but unfortunately, very close to the two guys we saw on our way in. They had jumped in their truck and taken up a new position much closer to us, which I think may have been due to the howling responses Critter was getting.

We could see they were trying to make a move on something, but it sure didn't seem to be this wolf. This wolf had dropped into a slight depression and was walking directly to the ridges we had left earlier. Now, we knew we had to get back to those ridges, and better do it fast.

Critter bailed off the face, with me trying my best to keep up. The camera guys were right on our tails, as they knew this might be the one and only chance. I doubted it would call come together, given how much terrain there was out here and how many places the wolves had to go.

It didn't take long to cover that half mile or so back to the truck. Gravity was a great assistant. I was sucking wind in a bad way, getting there 100 yards behind Critter. Was glad to see he was doing some serious sweating, also.

We were loaded and backtracking to our original location. On our way, we stopped to watch the other two hunters out on a big sage flat, making a stalk on a big black wolf. We were confused as to how the wolf we had just spotted had gotten up on the ridges so quickly. Seems he would have had to run right past those hunters to get there. Oh well, who cared how the wolf got there, we were only concerned with where he was headed.

On our way back to our original location we spotted the big black wolf moving away from those hunters and right where we wanted to be. If only we could get there in time.

We parked and before Critter and I could get our packs on, the camera guys were trotting up the drainage, trying to get ahead of us with their heavy gear. We were out of sight of the wolf and the other hunters, so all we could do is move up the drainage, as fast as we could, and hope we might cut off the wolf.

Once we got up there a ways, I thought we were getting close to the path the wolf was taking. I told Critter to take the camera guys further up the drainage and I would stay a little lower. My thinking was that it made no sense to have both rifles together, when we needed to cover lots of ground.

I had planned to set up about 500 yards from Critter. That would allow us to cover that 500 yards between us, and 300 yards on each side of me and him. I suspected that wolf would come through somewhere within the 1.100 yards we could have in our lines of fire.

Shortly after we split up, I watched Critter motion the cameras down. I knew something was up. He waved me over to their position, a mere 200 yards from where we had split up.

On my way, I could see the black wolf moving way up the hill. Much higher than his path had previous been going. We watched to see what he would do. Critter howled and he stopped and howled back. Critter then played the dying rabbit blues, and the wolf ignored it completely.

We both had him in our cross hairs. Bipods extended. Prone and steady. But, he was 1,200 yards off. Not a shot we would be taking.

What had seemed to be the greatest of chances had disappeared. Yeah, we got a long string of good footage, but the wolf had sensed the pressure of the other hunters and moved high, making the timber his sanctuary. Damn the luck.

Now we were seriously bummed. We had just run quite a few miles, up and down some serious grades, and it was all for nothing.

We tried to spot the other hunters, but could not make any visual. Evidently they had turned back and decided to let the wolf rest for the day.

We did a few filming tasks to capture the explanation of what had transpired. Then, we worked on what the next plan would be. My personal preference was to stay right there and take a nap.

Critter suggested we scale the ridges to our right, as there was a valley behind there that the wolves could take and still have some protection in timber. Seemed like better than nothing, but still not as good as a nap. With heavy feet, I picked myself off the deck, shouldered my pack, and started toward the ridges, knowing Critter would pass me in about 100 yards.

On our way up the ridge, Critter and I discussed how we just needed one lucky break. The kind of break that can make of break a hunt. We had not been too lucky so far in this hunt and given the luck of this past season, I had no expectations of any luck rolling down the ridge and landing on my lap. Oh well. it was a beautiful day and we had already spotted two wolves.

We were making out way up this steep slope, stopping to cuss the wind that had accumulated deep crusted snow on this north face. We were about half way up the ridge when we heard a shot. Then another. Naturally, we turned to look and see where those other hunters were at. The sound made it seem that they were close to where we had last seen them on our drive over here.

Not sure how said it, but someone said, black wolf coming our way. I was not really convinced, as the black wolf had already entered the timber up above us. This wolf was down way lower. Exactly at our elevation. I was sure that the canine running toward us was a coyote. Those guys had probably shot at it out of frustration caused by the black wolf getting away from them.

I was wrong. My binos told me this was another black wolf and it seemed like it wanted to come to the safety of these ridges. Everyone dropped right where they were and started to get set up. Chambering bullets, adjusting tripods, and taking ranges.

Since we had dropped to position right where we were standing, Critter was uphill and to my right. The wolf was coming more to our right, so it would work well with our agreed upon idea that Critter would get first shot. I was taking ranges of anything I could. About all that stood out was a small pine tree on a slope. That tree was 510 yards.

Loren told me he wanted us all in the same frame and needed me to move up the ten yards to Crittter. No one was to move until the wolf went out of sight. We could not screw this up.

I glassed as the wolf came from 1.200 yards, to 1,000 yards, to 800 yards. We were ready and he was coming as if we had him on a fishing reel. I have hunted too long to know it never happens this way. At least not when you could most need it.

At about 700 yards the wolf dropped into a coulee and was completely out of sight. I grabbed my rifle and range finder, then scrambled up the ridge to the position of the other three. I dropped down right next to Critter and gave him the ranges I was getting. The wolf stayed out of sight, worrying me that he was going to follow that coulee up or down the basin, taking him out of our shooting range.

My worries were soon rested as the black dog popped up 600 yards out. He stopped to look around. He was now veering more to our right, with help with our shooting layout, but was taking him too far away. As if on cue, he turned a little more our direction.

I told Critter that if the wolf got to the tree that was 510 yards, to take a shot, if he thought it was one he wanted. Just as I said that, I could here Loren cussing like his car had been stolen. When the camera guy says. "WTF?" in a really frantic tone, that is not good. Not ever good, but even less good when you finally have a wolf closing in to shooting range.

I told Critter to shoot when the shot came, and we would hope Loren had the camera issue resolved. If not, we were not going to miss this chance due to a camera malfunction. Brad was running his 7D Canon DSLR, but we really needed this on the higher zoom big camera.

I have not listened to the audio, but I am sure the discussion between me and Loren was quite colorful. He as saying he almost had it. I was telling him we were shooting if the chance came. Just as he told me he had it fixed, the wolf stopped. I ranged him at 500 yards.

Loren said he needed a couple seconds to get on him and in focus. I told him to hurry.

In the meantime, the wolf was now again on the move. He was dropping down into a coulee that would take him behind the ridge and we would lose all chance for a shot. All of us started shouting, whistling, yelling, or anything that would get his attention. He stopped just short of disappearing from view.

Loren said he was on him. I was looking through my binos and told Critter it was 510 to the tree right above the wolf. I had no more than said "510" and boom. The Howa was deployed. The wolf jumped and bit his side, a little further back than perfect, but still an amazing shot.

The wolf turned right toward us and ran down into the coulee below. He came out at 297 yards. He saw us and started to trot. Critter took a shot that was way high. He took another shot that was high. We both forgot that he had set the CDS dials for 500+ and had not reset them for 300, the current range.

The wolf was hurt, no doubt. Blood was coming out of his mouth. The wolf stopped and looked around. I was on him while Critter was reloading. I told him I had him, in my sights. Critter told me to make sure he went no further. Wanting to risk nothing, I fired. The wolf spun and flopped. He was on his side, but still had his head up. Critter said to keep shooting until the wolf showed no sign of life. Given all it had taken to get to this point, I couldn't agree more. Critter's final shot, after resetting his dials, was to the head and that was the last of the shots. Not sure we will show the follow up "just in case" shots in the show.

We looked at each other as if this had not really happened. After working so hard and having so many chances that did not become chances, I thought it would never come together. To have it come together, to get it all on film, to tell the entire history of the wolf-elk issue in this part of Montana, and to do it with great company, is more than I could ever ask for.

As if often the case, other hunters were as much our ally as our detriment. Had those other guys not shot at this wolf, we would probably not looked across the flats to see her headed our way. Had they not went higher in pursuit of the other black wolf, this one probably would not have come lower to the elevation we were sitting.

This was our one piece of luck we had wished for. That we had hunted for eight days to finally have come our way. And when it came, Critter made the most of it. Truly amazing. It is often said and times like this make it so true - If you are not out in the field when it is your turn to get lucky, you will never realize the good fortune that was sent your way.

Imagine yourself in this position - the position Critter was in.

After eight days of hard hunting, a wolf is bearing down on you for over two minutes, giving you a lot of time to get your nerves rattled. You have never shot an animal on film before. You have a rifle the host has set up, not your own. You are not sure if the rifle shoots as accurately as your own. Just as things come together, the host and the lead camera guy are in disagreement about when to shoot, as the result of a major camera malfunction. The wolf you have hunted for so long is moving away, but stops for a couple seconds. You are on a steep hillside where a bipod is your only option - no prone shot position can be had. The range is 500 +/-yards and your target is smaller than an average whitetail buck.

Critter dealt with all of that, and using one of the Howa rifles we set up, topped with Leupold CDS scopes, and shooting Federal Premium ammo, he made a lethal 500 yard shot when all the pressure was on. Looking at the wolf afterwards, the first shot was slightly back, but seemed to clip part of one lung. The wolf was not going to get out of our sight with that first shot. But, prudence dictated we put an end to the deal right there, and we did.

I am amazed at how well all guys in the group performed. Critter, as mentioned above. Loren, for fixing a camera malfunction with his host threatening to give the "Take 'em" command even without rolling video. And in the end, he not only fixed the camera and tape, but got the entire sequence for the show. Brad and his DLSR got the first shot at that long range. He then turned his camera from the side of me and Critter and caught the actions and reactions as they were happening.

I can say without a doubt, this episode is one of the best we have ever done. To get a wolf, under these conditions, and get it all on film, is a major accomplishment. I am sure Critter is shaking his head, wondering how we kill anything on film, if it is always the goat rodeo we put him through.

You saw the "before" pics. Here are the "after" pics. I will let Critter tell the rest of the story. He deserves to have his tag on that wolf more than anyone. I am very thankful that he would take time from his family and business to spend eleven days chasing wolves with me. And to Loren and Brad, you guys killed it today. Great job, as always.

Yeah, they get pretty big.
IMG_1817.JPG

The Mystery Ranch victory ride.
IMG_1836.JPG

My, what big teeth you have.
IMG_1771.JPG

Will post up some more pics in a short while. Sorry to keep everyone waiting.

Love it when a plan comes together!! Can't believe the size of the teeth, (said the dentist)!!

A few more pics. The camera guys are the pros. They have the best of the best on their cameras. When we get those transferred, I will post some here.

IMG_1773.JPG

IMG_1782.JPG

IMG_1798.JPG

IMG_1807.JPG

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back Tracker
Back