MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

I have repeatedly watched bios try to cut both elk and deer permits in different areas I am familiar with including the Elkhorns, only to have their proposals questioned and tempered by their leadership.

I was doing some work for a rancher by Boulder in 380 many years ago, and he had a deer antler nailed to his tack shed that was probably half of a 180" buck. I asked him about it and he said something like, "Oh yeah, in the 50s and 60s those things were all over the place." It certainly isn't the range that is the problem and private land combined with the difficulty of access to the Black Sage WSA is probably one of the few things that allows any bucks to get older than a toddler in that area.
I dont know. My memory indicates that Mule Deer populations in 380 were substantually higher in the 1970's and 80's with ol timers reporting that back in the 50's and 60's there were more big bucks. Spokane Hills and the southend of the Boulder Valley south of the cut across road were both good hunting. Both areas were open to hunting, a different era for sure. Then both of those two areas were basically closed to public hunting with few exceptions. Deer populations, particularly older age class fell off prior to Spokane Hills being opened to the public. The south Boulder Valley is basically closed to public access for hunting. However, I dont believe the Mule deer situation is much better than the surrounding areas. How much of a factor does hunting truly play in the equation vs natural predation. I dont know. A similar case may be made for private property that is closed or managed for outfitting in that those areas are not necessarily overrun with deer and particularly not 180+ class older mule deer bucks either. Again, I dont know, but wouldnt be surprised as an example "if mule deer hunting was closed entirely in 380 for the next 5-7 years" one wouldnt see as much of a change as one would expect and that if there was a resulting hand full of 180+ class bucks on the landscape they wouldnt last more than a year or two. How much management and to what extent would be required to attain an extremely small proportion of the overall population. In my twisted logic is managing mule deer somewhat similar to that of managing timber if you dont harvest it those resources will be fed to coyotes or burned, respectivley.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mleonard23
Back