Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

I highly doubt that is going to have much of an impact. The vast majority are going to 6 & 7 for muleys. I can’t see many people especially unguided NR picking Whitetail over Muleys.
Just my thoughts. But I was wrong once before
I’d be willing to bet that a lot of the people from Western MT that like to hunt mule deer in R6 and R7 also like to hunt whitetails close to home on the western side of the state.

Buzzh probably not your norm either. Probably not your typical hunters on this site.
I mean - those guys are probably a lot better hunters than me - but i would probably forego muleys so that i could rifle hunt whiteys while im after an elk with a rifle.

The fact is its a world harder to kill something not rutting.

The harvest numbers in other states likely represent better populations - which is hard to compare to MTs "imprecise" data.

Have you spoken to anyone in the former 900-20 archery district / Central MT about pick your district? My data is in no way scientific, just anecdotal. The many folks I know there and used to hunt with are not happy. It certainly didn't help that the FW Commission added 1500 more tags in those HDs. I think a survey of hunter satisfaction a few years after that change would be good info to have.
I have, Nothing is going to help if FWP continues to sell tags like they are never ending. Pressure has gone down in 799 since the split. My bet is that people that did not draw 799 picked up a tag in the central units.

Ought six, 10 percent extra survive a yr is my guestimation. No actual data to support that. Have been looking at other states harvest data though.

Wyoming, utah, ect they have October general seasons. And looking at the harvest data in those states. They are pretty good at killing deer in October. Not as good as hedgehogs kids. But they slayem. Those stats have alot of data, charts, and graphs to look at. Seems like they take it seriously.
I hunted Utah in October of 2020 on a le buck tag with my muzzleloader. Had about 45 min on each side of sunrise and sun set that was good for glassing. I tried closing in on the buck I killed for 3 days and never could catch up with him due to he would hit cover early or come out late with the weather. On the 4th day I went in blind and set up where I thought he might work thru I ended up killing him that morning. Hunting deer in October is a totally different experience where you have to actually hunt.

Forkeyfinder u will be hunting whitey in October. And elk in November with this proposal. Not at the same time.

Yes October alot harder to kill a mule deer outside the rut. But u guys act like it's a great achievement to do so. I think they still get hammered.

No doubt other states have better mule deer populations. If fwp didn't count private mule deer herds. The population is not huntable.
No he won’t maybe you should go re read it

I have, Nothing is going to help if FWP continues to sell tags like they are never ending. Pressure has gone down in 799 since the split. My bet is that people that did not draw 799 picked up a tag in the central units.
I won’t be down this year for the first time in almost a decade. Other than to maybe do some calling

Forkeyfinder u will be hunting whitey in October. And elk in November with this proposal. Not at the same time.

Yes October alot harder to kill a mule deer outside the rut. But u guys act like it's a great achievement to do so. I think they still get hammered.

No doubt other states have better mule deer populations. If fwp didn't count private mule deer herds. The population is not huntable.
With this proposal you can not hunt whitetails in OCT.

MTFWP is reading this thread and saying, “these idiots actually think we are gonna change something”.
They know all about this place last time I posted something about a issue I had the biologist called I posted it at like 9 at night and he was calling by 830 that morning

111 page thread when will everybody recognize this is Montana and the FWP will do basically nothing to improve the deer or deer hunting in this state. You can all wish in one hand and be glad to know while you’re hunting this fall - it’ll be the best you’ll ever see it going forward.

It will take non resident tags going unsold before fwp makes any major changes. And that’s not happening anytime soon

Reactions: DFS

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wannabee
Back