Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

If “Gallatin” is the example, as is the areas farther west shed god mentions have Oct. deer seasons - way fewer deer will be killed as most deer are taken by people who are elk hunting. Fewer people will be looking for elk in those cruddy deer areas in October, than there will be people looking for elk later.

I hunt the gallatin every year. I don’t see the change in season limiting me in anyway. I look forward to being up high in mid October.

I’m just worried the pick your region is gonna back fire in terms of pressure on the reg6/7 deer. What are your thoughts about that being from that area? The season change gonna be enough for region 6/7?
I have to agree with @cgasner1 on this one. Jury is still out though and I could be wrong. So I also am a little worried about pick your region. The best thing I see about pick your region is that it might prompt hunter to sharpen there pitchforks and force people to fix what is ailing western regions instead of just blowing off steam and heading east to 6&7.

If “Gallatin” is the example, as is the areas farther west shed god mentions have Oct. deer seasons - way fewer deer will be killed as most deer are taken by people who are elk hunting. Fewer people will be looking for elk in those cruddy deer areas in October, than there will be people looking for elk later.
What do you think would have a greater effect of pushing elk into private an October rifle season for deer where some people may bumps some elk around or the weather. Seems to me like weather would be more likely to push elk into private than an October deer season.

I have to agree with @cgasner1 on this one. Jury is still out though and I could be wrong. So I also am a little worried about pick your region. The best thing I see about pick your region is that it might prompt hunter to sharpen there pitchforks and force people to fix what is ailing western regions instead of just blowing off steam and heading east to 6&7.
I feel like people keep forgetting about the spilt on whitetail. That is also gonna lift the pressure we could have a 1/3 of the people out during mule deer season just from that alone

Have you spoken to anyone in the former 900-20 archery district / Central MT about pick your district? My data is in no way scientific, just anecdotal. The many folks I know there and used to hunt with are not happy. It certainly didn't help that the FW Commission added 1500 more tags in those HDs. I think a survey of hunter satisfaction a few years after that change would be good info to have.

I feel like people keep forgetting about the spilt on whitetail. That is also gonna lift the pressure we could have a 1/3 of the people out during mule deer season just from that alone
I highly doubt that is going to have much of an impact. The vast majority are going to 6 & 7 for muleys. I can’t see many people especially unguided NR picking Whitetail over Muleys.
Just my thoughts. But I was wrong once before

Have you spoken to anyone in the former 900-20 archery district / Central MT about pick your district? My data is in no way scientific, just anecdotal. The many folks I know there and used to hunt with are not happy. It certainly didn't help that the FW Commission added 1500 more tags in those HDs. I think a survey of hunter satisfaction a few years after that change would be good info to have.
Apples to orange comparison when fwp sold all the left over tags that they were not going to. That was meant to be a first choice only then when it went to left over people decided they would rather have that tag than a general. We can revisit this if you like after this season if fwp keeps their word and doesn’t sell the left overs again

111 page thread when will everybody recognize this is Montana and the FWP will do basically nothing to improve the deer or deer hunting in this state. You can all wish in one hand and be glad to know while you’re hunting this fall - it’ll be the best you’ll ever see it going forward.

I highly doubt that is going to have much of an impact. The vast majority are going to 6 & 7 for muleys. I can’t see many people especially unguided NR picking Whitetail over Muleys.
Just my thoughts. But I was wrong once before
You would be right if this was meant to target just nr

You would be right if this was meant to target just nr
I understand what you’re saying. My point applies to the NR and R. It’s my belief that the overwhelming majority are not going to pick Whitetail.

I’m all for giving it a try though. I just don’t have much confidence in that portion of the plan. Let’s do it. It can’t hurt

I understand what you’re saying. My point applies to the NR and R. It’s my belief that the overwhelming majority are not going to pick Whitetail.

I’m all for giving it a try though. I just don’t have much confidence in that portion of the plan. Let’s do it. It can’t hurt
It would be very interesting the first few years to see how people shift and start to strategize. I’d bet it’s 30% plus on whitetail so they can hunt closer to home in mule deer numbers are down or hunt the rut. Let’s say your right and it’s less for a couple years because guys are hunting mule deee then they start noticing these whitetail bucks have had a couple season of people not hunting them and they are starting to see more of them so they switch.

Well it's a nice thought 30 percent. How many people do u know that will let u shoot a whitetail buck on private land. It's going to be like 5 percent hunting whitetails. The ones with access.
Just because that’s how it is in your corner doesn’t mean it’s like that all over I know a lot of guys that think outside the box and kill public whiteys

Weather moves elk to lower elevations yes. Cgasner1 your not from montana are u. You haven't seen what hunting pressure does to elk. Go to beaverhead county or Madison County after the rifle opener. Glass the fields low land private. Your going to c more elk than have in your entire life combined.
You think the rifle opener for deer is gonna look like your current rifle opener with this structure?

I think 30 days of mule deer hunting before the elk hunting will do much worse. More elk will be on private than currently. With the proposal
Because the 6 weeks of archery doesn’t push them there already? Also some of those ranchers may be blasting cows and pushing the herd back onto public

Buzzh probably not your norm either. Probably not your typical hunters on this site.
I know quite a few others personally that are all about the whiteys I’d bet a lot of money right now that this split would lift 30% plus of resident pressure off mule deer

Just because that’s how it is in your corner doesn’t mean it’s like that all over I know a lot of guys that think outside the box and kill public whiteys
It’s all about those elusive mountain whitetails.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregmilly27
Back