Grouse! Let’s See Them

My first ruffed grouse of the year and the first bird killed with the first SxS I've ever owned🙂
I've wanted a SxS for some time but couldn't find one that fit naturally. Ran across this Weatherby Orion 20ga sxs and immediately knew. View attachment 341171
That looks like a pretty nice SxS but that Weatherby name like it is just turns me off. I didn't know Weatherby made any shotguns much less a SxS with double triggers. If they'd change that name on it to script and not fill it with gold and somewhat smaller that would really look nice to me. Like I said, Really nice looking except for the bill board on the action!

While we're discussing mtn chicken...

1. Has anyone seen/hunted grouse in the Wheeler Peak wilderness? and
2. How weird or not weird would it be for the recurve to accidentally get packed for a trip in a few weeks and for that recurve to accidentally maybe get brought up Wheeler Peak on a 'summit attempt' with ~10 ladies on a "girl bonding trip" to maybe thump some duskies on the way up/down....

....asking for a friend....

While we're discussing mtn chicken...

1. Has anyone seen/hunted grouse in the Wheeler Peak wilderness? and
2. How weird or not weird would it be for the recurve to accidentally get packed for a trip in a few weeks and for that recurve to accidentally maybe get brought up Wheeler Peak on a 'summit attempt' with ~10 ladies on a "girl bonding trip" to maybe thump some duskies on the way up/down....

....asking for a friend....
It will be potentially very weird up until the moment you prepare the grouse over an open fire and they bite into it. After that point, they will all be bringing a bow on such a trip.

That looks like a pretty nice SxS but that Weatherby name like it is just turns me off. I didn't know Weatherby made any shotguns much less a SxS with double triggers. If they'd change that name on it to script and not fill it with gold and somewhat smaller that would really look nice to me. Like I said, Really nice looking except for the bill board on the action!
Personal taste is certainly that, personal. I've always felt a person should stay with their own likes when buying. For this purchase fit and function was what mattered to me, as is often the case when I buy outdoor gear. I'd have bought it if the name was in neon pink spelled backwards & upside down. 😉
Have a great season!

You need to learn how to throw rocks. You haven't had the primal experience of your life until you have killed one with a rock!
I got a hun with a hefty stick while packing out a mule deer in the Little Belts. Still can’t believe it. Grouse would be far easier.

Back