Fly Tying/Fishing Thread

Wow, those are some scary buggy looking things! Dumb question, are they dry or wet flys? I’m guessing dry, but I could see them bring wet flies too.

Wow, those are some scary buggy looking things! Dumb question, are they dry or wet flys? I’m guessing dry, but I could see them bring wet flies too.
Wet flies, meant to imitate small baitfish or other larger aquatic insects that swim around in there, or just attract a bite. Tied this one up after work today, just pheasant cape feathers and thread, articulated for a little more movement and length, 3.3mm tungsten bead:

IMG_6731.jpeg

Nice! Could be a good sculpin imitation! Sculpins are found in my local rivers, the old muddler is my go to for that. Your flies might prove a good change up. I fish the Deschutes when I can and it gets a good bit of pressure, those fish have seen everything, perhaps your ties would be effective there. Looks like a smallmouth would slam it too.

Great fish! Flows don’t look too bad, I’ll be on there for 2 or 3 days next week doing some camping and floating, looking forward to it
It’s definitely fishable, just impossible to wade still, I was pretty limited to where I could get on foot. I bet it drops to about 2000 CFS soon, and that will be prime time for big dry flies.

It’s definitely fishable, just impossible to wade still, I was pretty limited to where I could get on foot. I bet it drops to about 2000 CFS soon, and that will be prime time for big dry flies.
Much lower than 2K though and the upper becomes pretty boney for floating.. I’ve floated the lower as low as 900cfs though but got hung up a few times. The flooding did a number on that watershed

Much lower than 2K though and the upper becomes pretty boney for floating.. I’ve floated the lower as low as 900cfs though but got hung up a few times. The flooding did a number on that watershed
Agreed. I’m a wade fishing guy on that river, it can get sketchy for floating. It’s like a completely different river after the floods, but the fish seem to be doing well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vermonthoosier547
Back