Ditching GoHunt

I haven’t had GoHunt for quite a while, since before they started maps. I’m good with OnX, but also downloaded Spartan Forge just to give it a go.

The lidar stuff is pretty cool. Found a couple water holes, a wallow, and perfect bedding benches in my elk area that I’ve hunted for 5 years and never knew they were there.
I downloaded Spartan Forge based on your comment. Holy high quality satellite imagry. The Lidar is pretty sweet too. I hope OnX is hot on their trail. I don't need to pay for another app...

I had trouble with GoHunt maps not matching Onx but also not matching very obvious physical property lines that for sure separate public and private and their map doesn't match. Also I've bugged them several time about the fact that their maps don't work with the Apple Magic Mouse. Every time they just say they've gotten use to it in the office. Well it works like garbage, but is flawless on Onx. So I currently pay for both to get draw odds and mapping.

GoHunt has some serious lag for updating your location via maps. It often shows the wrong location then zoooom catches up after a few minutes. I don't use their mapping because of that issue alone.

In my mind they’re two different services for two different purposes. OnX is the best mapping service. GoHunt is the best research service. Both are good enough to warrant spending the money to have both at the same time.

This, I got all excited when GoHunt announced the mapping, but they are still waaaay behind on that.

I experienced the opposite on my moose hunt. I was miles deep on USFS, but OnX little blue direction pointer kept saying I was looking 90° off from my actual eyeline.

If the compass is off, it's your phone, not the app. Just so you know!
One compass on the phone. Both apps using it. Onx says one thing, goHunt another. They should agree.
goHunt agrees with the compass heading on my inReach, which is another device.

I trust routes on these devices to get me home, never their compass bearings. Even they can disagree with the inReach when routing. inReach is the bible.
I learned in the fogged-in alpine on POW a couple of years ago that the inReach is the accurate one. It walked me right to my tent in zero/zero conditions.

I may be the youngest angry curmudgeon I know, but I really wish people actually had to go explore an area in person to figure out what was there. I’m sure I’m in the minority, but I’d get rid of all of the mapping and online scouting tech in a second if I could.

I may be the youngest angry curmudgeon I know, but I really wish people actually had to go explore an area in person to figure out what was there. I’m sure I’m in the minority, but I’d get rid of all of the mapping and online scouting tech in a second if I could.
I find myself looking at and relying too much on onx when in the field. Losing some of my woodsmanship.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Covenant01
Back